Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Actors you can't stand

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
He was always a fake.

He never rang true on screen.

Despite being a proponent of “manly values” he was one of the first Hollywood stars to have cosmetic surgery to try and keep his “youthful” looks.

The fact is that while there are some actors who cultivate a hard man image, very few actually are.

Some of Wayne’s generation of actors obviously fought in WW2 and so I’d likely say they were the real deal. But Wayne was arguably a draft dodger.

Wayne never enlisted and even filed for a 3-A draft deferment, which meant that if the sole provider for a family of four were drafted, it would cause his family undue hardship. Other version say he was too old to fight but desperately tried to enlist.

Either way, the closest he ever came to World War II service was portraying the actions of others on film. And he did that rather unconvincingly.

He was mostly a fraud.
He was also a vile racist and homophobic bigot.
Some of his comments in an interview in 1971:

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,“

“I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves.”

With respect to Native Americans he said:
“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival”

“There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He was also a vile racist and homophobic bigot.
Some of his comments in an interview in 1971:

“I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,“

“I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves.”

With respect to Native Americans he said:
“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival”

“There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”
Well, that all sounds lovely.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He was always a fake.

He never rang true on screen.

Despite being a proponent of “manly values” he was one of the first Hollywood stars to have cosmetic surgery to try and keep his “youthful” looks.

The fact is that while there are some actors who cultivate a hard man image, very few actually are.

Some of Wayne’s generation of actors obviously fought in WW2 and so I’d likely say they were the real deal. But Wayne was arguably a draft dodger.

Wayne never enlisted and even filed for a 3-A draft deferment, which meant that if the sole provider for a family of four were drafted, it would cause his family undue hardship. Other version say he was too old to fight but desperately tried to enlist.

Either way, the closest he ever came to World War II service was portraying the actions of others on film. And he did that rather unconvincingly.

He was mostly a fraud.
Bloody actors acting on screen Clampy. Fakers.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I was once asked if I'd like someone's spare ticket to a play starring James Corden.
I replied I'd rather nail my cock to an electric eel.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was once asked if I'd like someone's spare ticket to a play starring James Corden.
I replied I'd rather nail my cock to an electric eel.
Your loss. I've seen him twice on stage - in The History Boys and One Man; Two Guv'nors - and he was excellent in both. Two superb plays with an equally superb cast.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Your loss. I've seen him twice on stage - in The History Boys and One Man; Two Guv'nors - and he was excellent in both. Two superb plays with an equally superb cast.
Oh I agree he can definitely act, otherwise everyone would find him as odious as I do.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Bill Nighy. Can't remember if it was Mitchell and Webb who did a skit taking the piss out of his acting 'range'
About 4 years ago he played a dying civil servant in a film called “Living” which is for me one of the best acting performances I’ve ever seen by anyone in anything. An understated masterpiece and totally believable.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
About 4 years ago he played a dying civil servant in a film called “Living” which is for me one of the best acting performances I’ve ever seen by anyone in anything. An understated masterpiece and totally believable.
I have to say, I thought that film was terrible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here