Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Actors you can't stand

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I suppose her crying scene was fairly good in Love Actually. An otherwise dreadful film.
Yes, she was good in that tbf. But I remember her in some Shakespeare adaptation - and she was so bad I literally couldn't watch it.

One of those actors who often 'over acts' if you know what I mean, so it seems completely unnatural. You actually end up being distracted by the acting itself.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Working in a Bristol hospital for 38 years probably helped :smile:
Fair point!

My Mum was from Belfast. I didn’t hear her accent at all. It was only when my mates met her or talked to her on the phone (in the days before mobiles when you had finding the house phone to speak to mates) and told me she had a really thick Belfast accent that I noticed it.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Steve Speirs, he lived in Brighton and his kids went to the same school as mine.
He would speak to teachers, but ignored the other parents, I said 'hi' once when he walked past and he looked right through me.
So up himself, even though his kids, like mine, were at a public school.
Tosser.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Had to look up Steve Spiers as didn't know the name. He was married to Julia Roberts for 11 years? Edit - not THE Julia Roberts, doh!

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fair point!

My Mum was from Belfast. I didn’t hear her accent at all. It was only when my mates met her or talked to her on the phone (in the days before mobiles when you had finding the house phone to speak to mates) and told me she had a really thick Belfast accent that I noticed it.
:lolol: I can relate to that, my dad was from Somerset and to me didn’t have a strong accent compared to family and friends of his that lived there.
One mate met him for the first time and told me my dad sounded like a proper Worzel.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Steve Martin
Martin went on to star in film roles, including such films as The Jerk (1979), Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982), The Man with Two Brains (1983), All of Me (1984), ¡Three Amigos! (1986), Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), L.A. Story (1991), Bowfinger (1999) and Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003). He played family patriarchs in Parenthood (1989), the Father of the Bride films (1991–1995), and the Cheaper by the Dozen films (2003–2005).

I've watched most of those films and hated him in all of them except, maybe, Bowfinger.
The man with Two Brains and Three Amigos must be in the worst 10 films ever made.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I always had an antipathy for Burt Lancaster, until Local Hero.
I used to be ambivalent to Burt Lancaster until they showed a season of his films on the TV many years ago which really opened my eyes to what a good and diverse actor he was, and also the number of great films he'd appeared in...."The Sweet Smell of Success", The Birdman of Alcatraz", "The Swimmer", "Judgement at Nuremburg" "Atlantic City", Elmer Gantry", "Separate Tables" (set in a seaside hotel in Bournemouth! ).

On a personal level he was very active in the American Civil Rights movement and was consequently targeted by the FBI. In 1963 he took a break in the middle of filming a movie in France just so he could fly to the US to take part in Martin Luther King's March on Washington where he was also a speaker. (That was the march recently referenced by Trump in relation to his obsession with crowd sizes).

In 1973 he was among those named in Richard Nixon's Trumpian style, vendetta motivated "Enemies List".

As early as 1947, just a year after having his first break in Hollywood he put his career on the line and risked being blacklisted by speaking in support of the Hollywood Ten who had themselves been blacklisted during the Mccarthy anti-Communist witch hunts. Many actors would have chosen to keep their heads down at that early stage in their career.

So there are many reasons to like and admire Lancaster, aside from his performance in Local Hero...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Truman Show? I detested him in his previous stuff (such as the Ace Ventura stuff) but I bought into his Truman Show character.
Not for me. I thought his more “serious” work was by and large pretty thirsty. I wasn’t a fan.

Absolute nutcase as well. Put some of his partners through Hell.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Steve Martin
Martin went on to star in film roles, including such films as The Jerk (1979), Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982), The Man with Two Brains (1983), All of Me (1984), ¡Three Amigos! (1986), Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), L.A. Story (1991), Bowfinger (1999) and Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003). He played family patriarchs in Parenthood (1989), the Father of the Bride films (1991–1995), and the Cheaper by the Dozen films (2003–2005).

I've watched most of those films and hated him in all of them except, maybe, Bowfinger.
The man with Two Brains and Three Amigos must be in the worst 10 films ever made.

I love his natural comic genre and work, very British:
Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid
The Man With Two Brains
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
LA Story

But not the endearing, homesy stuff he plumped for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here