Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acceptable Lateness?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
There really is no excuse for lateness, it winds me up no end. I have left a place waiting for people before because they are late, f*** em, why should I stand about in a pub on my own because they cannot be bothered to get there on time.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I HATE lateness. Especially if I'm the one travelling. If I'm meeting someone in town at say 9pm, and I'm getting a 30 minute bus/train ride, I'll aim to get there early, and if they are not there by 9pm, god help their mobile phone battery, because I'm not going to stop calling, the moment it turns 9.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Hmmmmm. Hey DAFT Bints! Gather round! We have a lady in need of a little self-confidence!

Brightonlass, if this should ever happen again, wait for no more than 15 minutes and then go home. Don't ring him to chase up his eta, just go. You need to show people that your time is as important as theirs. People who think being late is acceptable are sending a message that they feel their time is more important than yours, If you don't make a stand early on, it will get worse, and you will lose all respect both yours and theirs

This comes from experience, and having been walked over big time a few years ago when I thought I was being 'reasonable' I've now learnt that if I don't respect myself and my time, nobody else is going to

Chin up girl. Write this one off, and the old cliche is true that one day you will meet someone prepared to treat you well. The right guy will think you are the best woman on the planet, and wouldn't want you waiting around for him without a very good reason

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Aha, so you didn't text or call him from the moment he was late to the moment he arrived?

I'm not defending what he did and didn't do. Merely suggesting that there was a course of action available to you when you were waiting. Only that you chose your dignity/saving face/being a victim over knowing where you stood. The former was much more important to you and you let it trump the constructive action you could have taken.

She wasn't the one who was late, he was! It's manners to let the person know if you are running late, and it is not up to the person waiting around to start chasing! Either be there on time, make contact at the agreed time if you are running late, or do nothing and don't be surprised if you finally arrive to find nobody waiting for you! Respect doesn't cost much, but you seem to be lacking it GR!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Come on, lifes too short to be getting your knickers in a twist about some bloke being late. Your young (student right) you should be more concerned about whether the bloke is a good laugh, you have stuff in common and that he is good in bed.

You come across as a nice girl so don't take this the wrong way but you have moaned on here quite a few times, don't take life too seriously, go out get drunk, get laid break some hearts.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
She wasn't the one who was late, he was! It's manners to let the person know if you are running late, and it is not up to the person waiting around to start chasing! Either be there on time, make contact at the agreed time if you are running late, or do nothing and don't be surprised if you finally arrive to find nobody waiting for you! Respect doesn't cost much, but you seem to be lacking it GR!

This...some people seem to be blaming the poor lady for being left standing for an inordinate length of time, she is the person on the end of the shoddy behaviour, not the one dishing it out.

AVS speaks sense...Lush needs to take her under her wing and find her a nice young Albion fan who won't treat her badly or use her as a doormat.

Ain't it sad that common courtesy isn't that common any more!

(If you think I am a grumpy old sod who is just banging on again then flame away to your hearts content)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To the original question : Surely it's a cultural as well as a personal thing. With most English people I suspect punctuality is important and keeping someone waiting is considered rude and disrespectful. In lots of others cultures time really isn't something to get worked up about and it's an odd concept to pin someone down to a specific time unless the need for punctuality is really made clear.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
People being late gets on my nerves a bit but most people let you know if they are going to be late. Hanging around a bit on your own is fairly standard, if like me you like to get to a palce a bit earlier than agreed. One thing that does really wind me up is people changing entire plans at the last minute. For example right now I'm supposed to be enjoying a cream tea in Rottingdean, however the other half got so steamingly drunk last night that she is currently hungover and nursing a very sore head. These things happen but when you have planned an entire day around something and you are then left flapping in the breeze while someone else sorts their shit out it can grate somewhat!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
.....right now I'm supposed to be enjoying a cream tea in Rottingdean, however the other half got so steamingly drunk last night that she is currently hungover and nursing a very sore head. These things happen but when you have planned an entire day around something and you are then left flapping in the breeze while someone else sorts their shit out it can grate somewhat!

So, for your day being ruined, spend it at home going through your CD collection...trying to find tracks that sound best at the highest volume...that should learn her!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So, for your day being ruined, spend it at home going through your CD collection...trying to find tracks that sound best at the highest volume...that should learn her!

Ha! I'd have to play it pretty loud she lives 2 miles across town!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here