Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron McLean

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good signing - renewing his partnership with CMS is probably worth a few goals for the feelgood factor alone. He has a year left on his contract and hasn't been a massive success at Hull so cost maybe a conservative £500K to more likely £750K? Better bet than Vokes as a partner for Macca IMO and although he lacks height we can remedy that to an extent by recruiting the big central midfielder who likes to get ahead of the ball that we have all spoken about. The days when we played long balls up to Murray to hold or to lay-off have gone and quick high crosses are not really in our play-set . What we would need would be a big centre back who attacks the ball in the opponents' box (like Tommy Elphick used to do quite successfully at League 1 level) ). We have been missing that from Greer/Dunk/elAbd - none of whom really look like knocking in a regulation 5 or 6 goals a season from set-pieces.

Agree with every word. I like the sound of this signing if it comes off.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I know, I know, the football season is over, and so begins the official silly season, where we all proclaim to have "a source" that has given us the heads up on a transfer before it even happens. Well, time for me to kick this off ....

A friend of mine does have numerous connections within the game, and does from time to time get word on something, which he passes on to me. Not everything he hears happens, but that is simply because things do change in life, someone intending to make a particular move, may change their mind right up to the point of signing, but what he tells me is true at the time, and has often played out exactly as he's said.

Anyway, what I've heard today is that Aaron McLean expects to be signing for Brighton this summer.

This would fit in with Gus believing that CMS is still a work in progress, as perhaps that work was to have McLean and CMS up front together. That bit is my guess, and not part of the information I was told, but does seem quite logical.

What would be the general feeling if that was to be the case? Pleased with the move? Is that the player that will give CMS the best chance of succeeding? Or would we still be looking for someone else as well?

Personally, I would not want to see any more money wasted on CMS related matters. He is clearly not up to playing at this level, so we should move on. Wasting money to buy his former strike partner, smacks of throwing good money after bad, instead of accepting that he has not worked out.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Would be an awful signing. Done nothing at Hull, nor with Posh in this division. He will also cost a bot, I think Hull paid over a million. We need to be getting in much better than him to improve on this season.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think CMS in his interview for the programme some months back said that McLean was the best player he has ever played with - they obviously work very well together up front BUT that would mean Gus having to change the way we play to incorporate 2 strikers

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looking at Wiki, he has scored 8 goals in 62 appearances for Hull. Not that prolific at this level.

Seeing as we need a Heskey type upfront, I don't think a lack of goals from that specific player would be a problem at all. Surely the fact he hasn't scored many yet is rated as a good player tells you what type of player he is?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Would be an awful signing. Done nothing at Hull, nor with Posh in this division. He will also cost a bot, I think Hull paid over a million. We need to be getting in much better than him to improve on this season.

Don't be so ridiculous, you don't go to Hull week in and week out watching him play do you?every time I've seen McLean he's caused all sorts of problems. Had a cracking performance at the Amex.

He scored 83 goals in 5 seasons at Posh so yes he did do very well there.

He may not be banging in the goals for fun at Hull but I'm sure there's a reason why he's starting every week.

Him and Macca had 45 goals between them in the season Peterborough dominated League 1.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
CMS and McLean average about one goal every 6 games. This suggests that at Championship level they'll score c. 15-17 goals between them. Yet to make the play-offs you're looking for your main pairing to contribute, say, at least 30 goals in the season. That will be one hell of an improvement in performance if they were achieve it - highly unlikely I would say.

McLean an able squad player, but nothing more.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
CMS and McLean average about one goal every 6 games. This suggests that at Championship level they'll score c. 15-17 goals between them. Yet to make the play-offs you're looking for your main pairing to contribute, say, at least 30 goals in the season. That will be one hell of an improvement in performance if they were achieve it - highly unlikely I would say.

Burnley have two strikers in the top ten goalscorers in the Championship, and Vaz Te scored most of his goals for them and they finished below us.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Definately be a good addition to the squad (assuming that Hoskins will be going?) - still need an experienced head up front if this signing comes off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Personally, I would not want to see any more money wasted on CMS related matters. He is clearly not up to playing at this level, so we should move on. Wasting money to buy his former strike partner, smacks of throwing good money after bad, instead of accepting that he has not worked out.

Amen.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden

Reading didn't have anyone prolilfic this season - we could have 3 players pop up with 13 goals each - CMS Barnes and Mcclean could be the answer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Albion's strength is in our wide men and our ability to get crosses in. Wingers need a target man, someone in the right place at the right time. We know that man is not CMS and the stats in this division suggest that man is not McLean. I can't see us getting promoted with Barnes, CMS, McLean and Adgestein as our strikers.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Why bother with another striker who cannot score in the Championship? We need a PROVEN SCORER at Championship level or above.

I do agree with you Pp, but finding one who wants to come, and is worth the transfer fee, and does not want a fortune in wages, is very very difficult to come up with. I think Mclean would be a good if not great signing for the right money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here