Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron McLean

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I do agree with you Pp, but finding one who wants to come, and is worth the transfer fee, and does not want a fortune in wages, is very very difficult to come up with. I think Mclean would be a good if not great signing for the right money.

I doubt there are any issues about players wanting to join us now we have moved to the AMEX, obviously, wages and transfer fee could be an issue, but if the Club are serious about promotion, it is something that needs to be addressed. In fairness, a good investment was made in CMS, the problem is that he is not up to the task.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Is he really what we need? Runs about a lot and is a strong guy, but most of the problem has been winning arial balls up top. We play good football, but anyone with an ounce of football knowledge will know that more often than you'd notice we go long ball when under pressure, or when the passing around the back doesn't come off, the amount of times people around me have become frustrated with the long balls to CMS. It's a fact. Mclean is possibly SHORTER than CMS, and has a worse scoring record, two similar players.
Just think we'd be spending big on a player that isn't the answer to our problem. I'd rather we spent the £750k (rough guess) on wages for a Jason Roberts type of striker to win the ball when we do go long, and challenge the balls that Buckley and co whip in.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Hull have to sell before they can bring anyone in. The owners have stated this to Nick Barmby

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seeing as we need a Heskey type upfront, I don't think a lack of goals from that specific player would be a problem at all. Surely the fact he hasn't scored many yet is rated as a good player tells you what type of player he is?

Heskey is 6 ft 2 in whereas Mclean is only 5 ft 7 in.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Albion's strength is in our wide men and our ability to get crosses in. Wingers need a target man, someone in the right place at the right time. We know that man is not CMS and the stats in this division suggest that man is not McLean. I can't see us getting promoted with Barnes, CMS, McLean and Adgestein as our strikers.

I can.

Stats aren't everything

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
it is something that needs to be addressed. In fairness, a good investment was made in CMS, the problem is that he is not up to the task.

I appreciate that CMS represents a significant investment and in a world of instant gratification people expect to not have to wait for a return but have patience - the whole squad (management included) were on a steep learning curve this season. Next year if there is still no return will be the time to begin questioning their ability to deliver individually and collectively.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
6 goals in 39 games this season. Only 5ft 7in and relegated from this division the last time he was paired with Cms at this level...Hoping for better than McLean I must be honest.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Just because he and CMS were good together at Peterborough, in a different team, in a different division, does not mean they'd work in our side. He's a similar player to CMS anyway, short, stocky, puts in a good shift, but not the most clinical. He's not the 6ft+ all-round striker we're looking for, and at the price he'd cost, simply wouldn't be worth it for me.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
As I have said. Hed be gash. No championship pedigree. In fact hes proved hes not up to it. If hes what Poyet is looking to waste our cash on the sooner he replaces Roy the better.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
McLean stinks of alternative options. What we need is obvious improvement in this area of the field. If we can't afford it we should off load cms.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Darius Henderson, leader of the line.

68 goals in 207 appearances at this level, a goal every three games.

Age 30, scored 19 for Millwall this season.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Darius Henderson, leader of the line.

68 goals in 207 appearances at this level, a goal every three games.

Age 30, scored 19 for Millwall this season.

We could get Leon Knight back to partner him again.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
We could get Leon Knight back to partner him again.

LOL, who would have called their where they would be now all those years ago.

Don't think many would have put Henderson to have had a long carreer in the second tier with Leon in Northern Island!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
As I have said. Hed be gash. No championship pedigree. In fact hes proved hes not up to it. If hes what Poyet is looking to waste our cash on the sooner he replaces Roy the better.

Agree with this. If Poyet spunks £1m or more on McLean as our main striker in the summer. Alarm bells will be ringing, totally unproven. We all know what we need is a proven striker at this level. Someone like Jason Roberts for example. Even if he went and got Rhodes (which I can't see) for £3m, again totally this would be a gamble, unproven at this level. As on the whole was someone else that cost us £3.25m.....Learn from you mistakes, springs to mind Gus!!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with this. If Poyet spunks £1m or more on McLean as our main striker in the summer. Alarm bells will be ringing, totally unproven. We all know what we need is a proven striker at this level. Someone like Jason Roberts for example. Even if he went and got Rhodes (which I can't see) for £3m, again totally this would be a gamble, unproven at this level. As on the whole was someone else that cost us £3.25m.....Learn from you mistakes, springs to mind Gus!!!!

I would sooner that we went for Jason Roberts type player than Rhodes as he is similar to CMS na d it would surely need to be a case of either or if we went after him. Did I read that Roberts turned us down in January and opted for Reading?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Would be an awful signing. Done nothing at Hull, nor with Posh in this division. He will also cost a bot, I think Hull paid over a million. We need to be getting in much better than him to improve on this season.

I can think of many players who have been unable to perform for one team and then moves to another and ends up a revelation. I have also seen players who were amazing at one club and utter pony at another.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't judge a player like Maclean based upon his performances at Hull who in all fairness play a totally different game to Brighton.

Sometimes chemistry between certain players is worth a gamble and it's one I think that we should take with Maclean. I'd be well happy with him signing as he is just what we need. Fast, powerful & strong and can score goals.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would be happy if Gus thought that McLean would improve our squad and give us further options, what value Gus put on him is irrelevant to us supporters but I wouldnt want him to sign and that to stop us signing a Roberts type target man and hopefully not Vokes. If West Ham win the play offs would Sam Baldock be surplus to requirements in the Prem.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I would sooner that we went for Jason Roberts type player than Rhodes as he is similar to CMS na d it would surely need to be a case of either or if we went after him. Did I read that Roberts turned us down in January and opted for Reading?

Now I wonder why he would do that??Certain comments in the press maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here