Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron McLean

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said many times his wages are of no concern to us supporters and is purely a matter for him Gus and TB what we as supporters want is results. Heskey wouldnt score many goals himself but CMS and others would so if Gus wanted him and saw him as the man to help us score more goals I would be all for it. Michael Owen always said he was the best he had played with for helping him score goals.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Darius Henderson, leader of the line.

68 goals in 207 appearances at this level, a goal every three games.

Age 30, scored 19 for Millwall this season.

That was the striker I wanted a year ago. He was going down with Sheff Utd, but had the pedigree at this level that he was never going to go short of a Championship offer. I was very surprised he didn't end up somewhere better than Millwall.

I'd be very pleased to see Henderson turn up, but I doubt Millwall would want to let him go.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I would love it, if we signed Heskey..50+ England caps and played for Liverpool, Villa and spent almost his whole career in the prem..What a donkey lol...the people who say Heskey would be a crap signing are probably the same crowd who said Phillips was past it this time last year....Id have him for a season as well by the way.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
McLean might be an option if we were in Lge 1, no doubt he and CMS would tear that up for fun. But we are a Championship side looking to make the next step upwards, so Lge 1 strikers are not what we need at this time, unless they are really exceptional.

If we have learned anything this season it is that there is a distinct step up in power and fitness of Championship players. This has exposed one or two of our successful team from last year. We will need a striker who will not get owned by some of the ex-Prem defenders that are about and capable of taking the fewer chances that are available.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone who wouldn't want Heskey is THICK. You could add at least 5 goals to every other attacking player in the side with big Em playing. He's every striker's DREAM to play alongside, ask Mickey Owen.

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
All striking partners, including this season still! laud the pleasure of playing with Heskey. The workrate and unselfishness.

We probably will never be in his league for wages.

What about Zamora returning to his beloved Albion in say Summer 2013 as our striker to lead the line?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anyone who wouldn't want Heskey is THICK. You could add at least 5 goals to every other attacking player in the side with big Em playing. He's every striker's DREAM to play alongside, ask Mickey Owen.

Completely agree. Heskey would be absolutely unplayable at this level. Big, strong, faster than people realise, holds the ball up better than ANYONE I've seen in The Championship this season, and the only reason he doesn't score many is that he plays most of the game with his back to goal playing in others.

He is one of the most under-rated England strikers ever IMHO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Correct. One of the most unselfish and positionally intelligent players ever to play for England and all he ever got was stick from morons who didn't understand his role in the team.

The Giant Bolster

Apr 18, 2012
Completely agree. Heskey would be absolutely unplayable at this level. Big, strong, faster than people realise, holds the ball up better than ANYONE I've seen in The Championship this season, and the only reason he doesn't score many is that he plays most of the game with his back to goal playing in others.

I agree. Shola Ameboi was also unplayable when we played them in the cup, he won every header they chucked up to him.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Correct. One of the most unselfish and positionally intelligent players ever to play for England and all he ever got was stick from morons who didn't understand his role in the team.

I must confess to having a foot in the morons camps for some of his career, but completely changed my view of him when he was recalled to the England line-up a few years back. We seemed to have "moved on" from him, and were playing Crouch as the "big man", then out of nowhere Heskey got a recall, and I watched him really closely in his comeback game, and he was absolutely superb. So much of it was unselfish stuff, playing others in, holding the ball up, perfectly timed and weighted lay-offs, and his runs off the ball drawing defenders away and creating space for others was just brilliant. It completely changed my view of him. I'd always quite liked him, but thought he was a bit limited, but there was just so much to his game that I'd completely over-looked.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I must confess to having a foot in the morons camps for some of his career, but completely changed my view of him when he was recalled to the England line-up a few years back. We seemed to have "moved on" from him, and were playing Crouch as the "big man", then out of nowhere Heskey got a recall, and I watched him really closely in his comeback game, and he was absolutely superb. So much of it was unselfish stuff, playing others in, holding the ball up, perfectly timed and weighted lay-offs, and his runs off the ball drawing defenders away and creating space for others was just brilliant. It completely changed my view of him. I'd always quite liked him, but thought he was a bit limited, but there was just so much to his game that I'd completely over-looked.

England's best three team performances of the last 11 years:

Germany 1 - 5 England
Croatia 1 - 4 England
England 5 - 1 Croatia

Heskey started all of them. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes.......but that is comparing a donkey to a racehorse.....Heskey....no thanks....could'nt afford his wages anyway!

I was replying to Mellotron who said we needed a Heskey type player. I was just pointing out that Mclean is quite short and wouldn't meet the criteria.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Mclean has played in midfield for Hull this season on the right quite a bit, hence the lack of goals
I wonder wherd he's play for us.
At Peterborough it seemed to be quite a fluid front three of Boyd, CMS, and McLean, where Boyd would be on the left but basically a free role, and the strikers alternating between the middle and the right. That was my impression anyway.

I'm not convinced Gus wants to play two out and out strikers. Even when he's had Vokes and CMS on together he's moved CMS to a wider position, usually. Maybe this would work better with McLean because clearly they are on the same wavelength and could interchange and play off each other, whereas Vokes hardly moves.

I think McLean is a better all round player than CMS, quicker, stronger, better on the ball. I'm surprised by his lack of Championship goals but over two or three seasons it doesn't look like an accident. So I'd have mixed feelings if we signed him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here