NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Hope no one seriously hurt

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
That bit of road is a bloody menace. The number of times they've delayed widening and straighting it is a joke.

edit: just read that again. Pycombe. I was thinking Handcross :dunce:

Last edited:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The road is badly designed at that point. There are deceptive fast bends, and a nasty camber on the southbound lane. Mix this with a hill (slowing traffic) and merging traffic from Pyecombe and you have an accident blackspot.

Northbound isn't much better - why put a layby on a sweeping bend, just past a bridge so you can't see it clearly, at the end out fairly steep downhill section, where the street lamps finish? Seen many a near miss there particulary at dusk.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
and that may explain the fire engine that came whizzing past when i was sunbathing earlier

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
I know, talk about an inconvenience, eh? Some people just don't care who's Thursday afternoons they ruin:lolol:

it awoke me from my pleasant slumber. probably did a favour, as it was then i realised how shockingly burnt i was

last time there was a crash on that stretch of road all the traffic was diverted through the hill. could make getting to work tonight fun:angry: :angry:

I drove past it probably a few minutes after it happened. Saw loads of people running about across the central reservation but I didn't rubberneck long enough to see if there were casualties.

It's a red minibus upside down in the central reservation - bizarrely on what is a relatively straight section of the A23. Northwards traffic was moving, southbound was grinding to a halt.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Scotty M said:
last time there was a crash on that stretch of road all the traffic was diverted through the hill. could make getting to work tonight fun:angry: :angry:

damn incoinvienenace isn't it, you would of thought they would shoveled up the bodies a bit quicker so not to effect the alive people's trip to work

:nono:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Quarter to four.

Fragmented Badger said:
Were any other cars involved? Can you speculate on what may have happened?

Fraid not - I was driving 100mph through it all because I was late for work :blush: There were loads of randomly parked cars but it didn't look as if any of them had been damaged.

The emergency services weren't there yet so as you could imagine it was complete chaos - but there were loads of people seemingly organising themselves to try and get into the van. The good thing is that the van looked in one piece and not smashed to bits, so hopefully if the people inside were seatbelted, they might have stood a good chance.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It's solid down here near Asda Hollingbury, so I am guessing the road isnt cleared and the rush hour traffic is now backing up at most junctions onto the A27, must be very serious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here