Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A.w.o.l / f.i.f.o

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Australian Way Of Life/ Fit In OR f*** OFF

A.W.O.L./F.I.F.O a common car sticker in oz (well w.a anyway) what are your thoughts.
How do you think a similarly worded car sticker would go down in ,say, Burnley,Luton, Hull or Bristol.

:whistle::whistle:

I thought the car stickers were aimed at the whinging pommy bastards who emigrate to Oz and then moan at being bombarded by flies , the ones that normally hover over horseshit. :smile:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So, if I understand this correctly, a group of immigrants who have done their best to completely wipe out the culture of the indigenous Aborigines over the last 200 or so years are criticising more recent immigrants for not entirely embracing their 'culture' immediately upon arrival?

Stumpy Tim

So, if I understand this correctly, a group of immigrants who have done their best to completely wipe out the culture of the indigenous Aborigines over the last 200 or so years are criticising more recent immigrants for not entirely embracing their 'culture' immediately upon arrival?

I don't think you'll find many Australians who don't admit that the Aboriginal population is treated poorly, and the road to fixing that is long and painful - but it has begun. It will take decades to sort that out though.

It's a separate issue though. The main issue in Oz isn't immigration generally... as has been mentioned, if you walk around Sydney you'll see mostly whites & Asians as both have settled well together. There are very few Muslims in & around the city in comparison however. The reason for that is that they do tend to stick to their own areas & don't assimilate. That may or may not be a bad thing if it helps reduce tension. Of course, the right-wing press use this to implicitly suggest they're all plotting terrorist activities.

The big difference between Australia & the UK though is that Australia has the power to stop immigration. We're not part of the EU and don't need to accept thousands of Poles, Slovaks, & French. The UK has no such luxury and that's why immigration is a far bigger problem on your side of the world.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I don't think you'll find many Australians who don't admit that the Aboriginal population is treated poorly, and the road to fixing that is long and painful - but it has begun. It will take decades to sort that out though.

It's a separate issue though. The main issue in Oz isn't immigration generally... as has been mentioned, if you walk around Sydney you'll see mostly whites & Asians as both have settled well together. There are very few Muslims in & around the city in comparison however. The reason for that is that they do tend to stick to their own areas & don't assimilate. That may or may not be a bad thing if it helps reduce tension. Of course, the right-wing press use this to implicitly suggest they're all plotting terrorist activities.

The big difference between Australia & the UK though is that Australia has the power to stop immigration. We're not part of the EU and don't need to accept thousands of Poles, Slovaks, & French. The UK has no such luxury and that's why immigration is a far bigger problem on your side of the world.

We're overrun by the French mate I can tell you, with their bloody patisseries and cafe culture. One near me has even taken over the local pub and puts on French nights, the bastard.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Though we haven't quite yet resorted to sending away ship loads of refugees to a deserted island. Which country did that?

Stumpy Tim

Though we haven't quite yet resorted to sending away ship loads of refugees to a deserted island. Which country did that?

That's because you're not allowed to. I bet Australias policy of having refugees checked on Christmas Island would get public support in the UK. How many thousands have disappeared into the UK while their claims are processed?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
That's because you're not allowed to. I bet Australias policy of having refugees checked on Christmas Island would get public support in the UK. How many thousands have disappeared into the UK while their claims are processed?

st kilda or somewhere. we have hundreds of these islands. also up north so not easy to do a bunk down south.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The irony of all this is that you know, just KNOW that there will be many a Brit expat sat reading this in the Mail over their English breakfast on the Costa del Sol before going to the local 'english pub' to complain about how the 'foreigners' never integrate into English life. Just before going to the Costa bowls club or to the Mijas Lions club meeting.

I could take all this 'England, Love it or Leave it' crap if it wasn't for the fact that english expats are pretty bad themselves when they go to settle abroad.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Exactly, ive lived in quite a few places now, and here, I could go to several Irish pubs (English one closed down) and hear jokes about the Czechs if I was insane enough. Saw the same in Germany, Belgium, Holland and Saudi Arabia. The English were definitely law abiding, especially in Saudi Arabia where drinking and adultary are criminal offences. There was never any parties, there was never any drinking, there was never any shagging. There was never any smuggling. There was never any corruption, there was never any large scale company theft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here