Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Thread Full of Photos/Videos/Memories From THAT Hereford Game

Tomorrow, I shall be mostly wearing this
football_shirt_40_1.jpg

football_shirt_40_2.jpg

well, not this exact one as it is KErry Mayo's shirt as worn in THAT game at Hereford

my clapped out non-fitting (now) replica

Last edited:

both the worst and best day of my life!!

does anyone have the SCR commentary of the goal?! i've lost it when my computer last crashed... definitely my favourite bit of commentary ever and would love to have it back!

SCR had some bleeding annoying screechy kid dioing the commentary - may have been an early incarnation of Tim Durrans (i cant recall) but I turned over and listned to Tony Millard on South Coast radio with Gerry Ryan as the "expert" summariser.

Mr Ryan's language became more colourful the nearer we got to the final whistle:eek::eek::lol::yahoo::ascarf:

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I was on a coach hired by the JBRA.

We stopped off in Ledbury for a few pre-match refreshments. On that day, they were having some kind of town fete with Mike Reid as guest of honour.

Quite a few Albion fans were wandering about town, no doubt swelling their coffers in the process, however we had attracted the attention of the local constabulary outside one of the pubs. We weren't causing any sort of trouble and had even got the Mayor of Ledbury a couple of drinks (much to the displeasure of his missus!).

Eventually, we managed to persuade him to get shot of the Police Dog Wagon that had been watching us for about an hour, just waiting for us to step out of line. When they drove off & the Mayor came back he was greeted with a chorus of "There's Only One Mayor of Ledbury!" to the bemusement of the locals!

As for the game, as everyone else has said, one of the worst and best Albion experiences wrapped up in one - never want to repeat it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Playing cricket for my school team. Captain, so unable to dive out. Rained off in the end :angry: I spent the match in solitary confinement, glued to the radio*. Shamefully, there were not a great deal of Brighton fans in my house and many did not understand the potential angst, pain, horror, delight, despair, hopelessness and sheer joy that was felt that afternoon. Horrible to listen to on the radio.

* Not literally

Last edited:

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
As so many people have said, even some of our nearest & dearest do not have a clue as to what we went through that day. It was the culmination of 9 months of crap & we were going to beat it. For me; those nine months had seen me lose my best friend to cancer at the age of 34, my Grandma went into a home aged 97, my partner's team promoted to the Premiership and constant morning sickness. Nine months of emotion squezed into an afternoon. There's no wonder I let off steam like a rocket at the final whistle. I also threw my arms around a stranger at the final whistle, much to my husband's disgust!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Tomorrow, I shall be mostly wearing this
football_shirt_40_1.jpg

football_shirt_40_2.jpg

well, not this exact one as it is KErry Mayo's shirt as worn in THAT game at Hereford

my clapped out non-fitting (now) replica

Stuart Tuck gave me his during the celebrations after the game. Unfortunatley for me, I was there with Stuart's brother, who literally begged me for it and I gave it to him. Stuart ended up getting it back off his brother and i guess he still has it.

I'm gutted that I never got to keep an all time classic piece of Brighton memorabilia, but chuffed that Tucky has it somewhere. The desperate circumstances of that season saw him play on through cortisone injections, leaving him with permanent damage that ended his professional career the following season.

People talk about Reinelt being a hero but he was only played a small part that season. Local lads like Tucky, Ross Johnson and Omerod and journeymen like Baird, Maskell, MacDonald and Storer were the true heroes.

Last edited:

Guilligomarc'h Gully

Vive Les Mouettes!
A "friend" from Hereford kindly got my party our 5 tickets - good seats - BUT turned out to be in the East stand right in the heart of passionate Hereford fans.Had to keep very quiet thro' that first half. Happily compassionate stewards let us out and through to the Albion terraces behind THE goal. The rest is history. Do you remember the hereford bull lead around the ground before the match!? There was a competition to name him. My nephew shouted out, very quietly, "Conference" - but we weren't laughing during that first 45 minutes.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I couldnt believe it on the day. Of all the poeple to get the boots!
Hereford terracing has an area which is completly flat and the bloke who got the boots was in fancy dress and kept climbing the railings which prevented most people from seeing the goal area.

I too remember that nob, travesty that he got Robbies boots

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Seems so sureal now.

Did it really happen, did our FL existance hang on the 90 mins of the last match of the season in a 'loser loses all'?

It was an incredable afternoon. Who'd have thought, when we were some 12 points adrift at Xmas with demo's at every game, that we had a chance?

At Xmas, hereford were still pretty well placed in mid-table and could have pushed on. Even on the day, they only had a poor Albion team to beat. They got themselves relegated by being worse than us.

Wasn't it the next day that the bulldozers moved in on the Goldstone? The highs * lows were just incredable.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
What a day. I remember nearly breaking Dan Tester's ribs when we equalised. I also remember Millard's commentary being replayed at the Gulls Eye Dinner a few days later, as during stoppage time, with Maskell running the ball into the corner and playing for time, Millard shouted "For christsake Maskell pass it!" He also went mental for the goal, just screaming Robbie Reinelt's name over and over and then uttering the legendary line: "The players go mad, the fans go mad, we go mad!" In reference to him and Gerry Ryan. Also remember a fairly depressing summer worrying about being booted out of the League because of the groundshare with Gillingham. Still one of the best-ever days in the club's history, topped off by the rather attractive local girl in the boozer we stopped of at in Newbury stripping off and jumping into the river for a dare (egged on by the members of the official Gulls Eye coach tour and several Albion fans from Littlehampton) and getting so drunk I woke up on Papa Lazarou's sofa on the Sunday lunchtime, still fully clothed in Albion shirt from the day before!

Last edited:

Sir Sarcy

Hip-Hopopotamus
Jul 10, 2003
The Field
I was 14 at the time and was stood with my Dad on the flat terrace bit, didn't see a thing through out the entire game and just stood there swearing and crying when we scored.

To be honest i think today may be the first time i have ever seen the goal as i never watched any highlights after as i was to drained.

Still got a flyer from a pub called "The Kings Head" that we stopped off at on the way back signed by all the guys that i went with as well as the pint glass me and my dad shared...... Emotional!!!

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
I was on a coach hired by the JBRA.

We stopped off in Ledbury for a few pre-match refreshments. On that day, they were having some kind of town fete with Mike Reid as guest of honour.

Quite a few Albion fans were wandering about town, no doubt swelling their coffers in the process, however we had attracted the attention of the local constabulary outside one of the pubs. We weren't causing any sort of trouble and had even got the Mayor of Ledbury a couple of drinks (much to the displeasure of his missus!).

Eventually, we managed to persuade him to get shot of the Police Dog Wagon that had been watching us for about an hour, just waiting for us to step out of line. When they drove off & the Mayor came back he was greeted with a chorus of "There's Only One Mayor of Ledbury!" to the bemusement of the locals!

As for the game, as everyone else has said, one of the worst and best Albion experiences wrapped up in one - never want to repeat it.

i was one of the lads from HH that you picked up en route, i remember all that so well and what about the coach being so effing slow we stopped off at a sainsburys store just to get some beers, we must have been the last albion fans to get home that night

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Quite simply the most nerve-shattering, emotional experience I have ever had (or am ever likely to have) watching football. Right up to this day I still use it as a reference point when watching any other 'important' game, be it England in a penalty shoot out or any number of vital last-day-of-the-season Albion matches. Nothing will ever compete with that day at Edgar Street.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Was running a boozer down in Southampton at the time, no way i could go as had to open up for Saturday night.
We had just got Sky/Cable in, so settled in and watched it all by myself in this big old pub.
Was kinda lonely when 1-0 down, and ecstatic when 1-1, but no one to celebrate with..

I was there on that terrible/amazing day. Stuart Storer gave me his shirt.. still got it now. Do you think it is the same one from the game he scored the last ever goal at the Goldstone the week earlier, or has that been given away??

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What a day. I remember nearly breaking Dan Tester's ribs when we equalised. I also remember Millard's commentary being replayed at the Gulls Eye Dinner a few days later, as during stoppage time, with Maskell running the ball into the corner and playing for time, Millard shouted "For christsake Maskell pass it!" He also went mental for the goal, just screaming Robbie Reinelt's name over and over and then uttering the legendary line: "The players go mad, the fans go mad, we go mad!" In reference to him and Gerry Ryan. Also remember a fairly depressing summer worrying about being booted out of the League because of the groundshare with Gillingham. Still one of the best-ever days in the club's history, topped off by the rather attractive local girl in the boozer we stopped of at in Newbury stripping off and jumping into the river for a dare (egged on by the members of the official Gulls Eye coach tour and several Albion fans from Littlehampton) and getting so drunk I woke up on Papa Lazarou's sofa on the Sunday lunchtime, still fully clothed in Albion shirt from the day before!

Aye, and didn't we then stagger off to some charity game and chat to John Byrne?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here