Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Thread Full of Photos/Videos/Memories From THAT Hereford Game

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Terrible Terrible day until that final whistle blew. Scenes of quite unbelievable joy when it did, and after the goal. The whole journey there and back was such an event too. No point describing the indescribable. You just had to be there. There will never be another game quite like it in Albions history. I have so many memories, I could write a book. Unique.

But we have played them in the Cup since, why doesn't anyone remember this?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Steve Gritt, Steve Gritt, Stevie Stevie Gritt,
he's got no hair
but we don't care, Stevie Stevie Gritt

I love that bit at the end of the video on here when he's being interviewed and you can hear us singing that in the background - He gets all choked up bless him.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Really sorry to drag this up, but we should sometimes just remember how low we have been in the fairly recent past, and how close we came go going out altogether, when the team's playing badly at home in a higher division, in Brighton, with a new stadium on the way.

Anybody ever, ever want to go through something like that game, and indeed the whole bloody week leading up to it, ever again in their entire lives? Alright it was unbelievable afterwards, but the anticipation was absolutely excruciating.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Really sorry to drag this up, but we should sometimes just remember how low we have been in the fairly recent past, and how close we came go going out altogether, when the team's playing badly at home in a higher division, in Brighton, with a new stadium on the way.

Anybody ever, ever want to go through something like that game, and indeed the whole bloody week leading up to it, ever again in their entire lives? Alright it was unbelievable afterwards, but the anticipation was absolutely excruciating.

Too true. Some of the kids on here will never ever know just what it was like and really that they have relatively nothing to complain about today.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I had the Friday (before) off work and had been over in Brighton (from Worthing) and stopped off at the Goldstone. The gates were opened so I went in.

The players were training on the pitch, trying to avoid all the potholes from where people had taken souvenir turf after the Donny game the week before. They retreated into the West Stand and then, shortly after, got on a coach and headed off for Herefordshire.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
:( I missed out

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is

I do but only if we get the same outcome :)

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I was lucky and got to the ground early, managed to literally bump into Bellotti and gave him some abuse face to face, he just sneered inanely at me and his mrs hurried him away.

I stood against the perimeter wall in front of the flat bit so had a really good view. I was so very nervous and emotional though that I can't really remember too much, other than feeling so sick that I thought I might throw up at one point when I thought we were going out of the league, to celebrating mentally when we scored, to feeling like time had stopped waiting for the match to finish and them almost scoring, to crying my eyes out and celebrating like I've never celebrated before when we'd done it.

It left me totally emotionally drained. It was the most unique and momentous day ever in Albion's history and, whatever happens in the future, I can't believe that the emotions of that day will ever be surpassed.

I was on the terrace behind the nause who was in the way of everyone that day, he was asked countless times to get down but wouldn't. I was lucky though as he didn't really obscure my view.
The day, the game and the week leading up to the game was an experience that although the outcome was in the end fine one that I would not like to go through again.
Like many I didn't see the goal go in but saw the initial rebound from Maskell's shot and went absolutely mental when the ball went in.
I remember hugging an absolute stranger at the final whistle, what a day, and I am fortunate enough to be able to say " I was there",

I also remember getting back to Brighton and asking a bloke in my local if he was going to eat his hat, he said he would if The Albion stayed up. He didn't of course but bought us a few drinks to celebrate instead.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had booked our tickets for this game weeks in advance as we have friends in Cheltenham so we decided to go to the match then stay with them afterwards. (I think you can see on our tickets, we had numbers 22 & 23). We had no idea that the game would be so significant for both teams, we knew that Albion would be either down or fighting, but had no idea Hereford would be too.

When I phoned Hereford we were still bottom, but Hereford were 3 or 4 places above us, the ticket office guy said something like " I reckon you boys will be off the bottom by then" as we had been on a pretty good winning run.

After the game we returned to Cheltenham to find out that Hereford are Cheltenhams sort of local rivals. We went out in the town, still in Brighton shirts, I don't think we paid for a drink all night, people came up to us in the pubs congratulating us and offering to buy us a drink, it was a great evening.

Don't know who Len Weston is or was.

Attachments

• Hereford.jpg
    Hereford.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 245

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace

:thumbsup:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
both the worst and best day of my life!!

does anyone have the SCR commentary of the goal?! i've lost it when my computer last crashed... definitely my favourite bit of commentary ever and would love to have it back!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have saved the Argus to this day. 28 pence.

*Goes to dig it out*

Called 'Holiday Argus' dateline Monday, May 5, 1997 - BANK HOLIDAY SPECIAL, it's got all the classic Argus trademarks.

'TODAY: INSIDE YOUR AWARD-WINNING ARGUS 'ALBION'S GREAT ESCAPE' AN EIGHT-PAGE SOUVENIR PULL-OUT PACKED WITH PICTURES'

And the headlines:

'The secret behind Reinelt's vital goal: HERO ROBBIE'S MAGIC BOOTS'

and

'Father's love that shows true Gritt'

Oh, and the great picture of RR handing over his boots and giving the big thumbs-up 'to a delighted fan after the match ended'. And the Argus entreaty under the photo: 'Were YOU the lucky fan who was given Robbie's bots? Call the Argus newsdesk on 01273 544516'.

Seem to recall that somebody once posted on here that he WAS The Lucky Fan. Do they still post?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here