Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Found it !

BEER+BLOG2.jpg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The Stella/Grolsh drinkers on here really should get their lips round a proper Portugeuse or Spanish number. You'll never go back.

Obviously if you could get imported* superbok or estrella in sainsburys or londis at the bottom of my road then that is what I would be buying.

Given the usual choices though, I do like a bottle of grolsch, but not in cans or in the pub as it's never as nice for some reason.

*It needs to be imported otherwise it will taste like every other generic lager brewed over here. I've never understood why breweries do that, everyone likes the stuff you drink on holiday so just leave it alone :shrug:

Oct 25, 2003
red stripe while i'm getting dub stepped off my tits

at that moment i don't even CARE if i look like a wanker.......IT JUST FEELS SO RIGHT

edit- in a CAN obviously

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Obviously if you could get imported* superbok or estrella in sainsburys or londis at the bottom of my road then that is what I would be buying.

Given the usual choices though, I do like a bottle of grolsch, but not in cans or in the pub as it's never as nice for some reason.

*It needs to be imported otherwise it will taste like every other generic lager brewed over here. I've never understood why breweries do that, everyone likes the stuff you drink on holiday so just leave it alone :shrug:

Sainsburys used to do a lovely own brand Spanish lager, but stopped selling it.

Waitrose do one though, which is very very good.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Found it !

BEER+BLOG2.jpg

gets my vote! very nice. that or sagres from portugal (i find superbok a bit too fizzy). somebody mentioned a beer from costa rica... the beer i saw everywhere in costa rica was imperial (dark label with lettering that looks a bit germanic) which was very tasty indeed. is that the one?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
cruzcampo gets my vote. followed by sagres. iberian booze does it for me. special mention to waitrose's spanish lager option.

was the costa rican one mentioned Imperial - slightly germanic looking label, tastes a bit like san mig?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Snap !

Cruzcampo, it's as cheap as lemonade in Spain but very very nice. Sold as a premium beer over here by looking online.

its on draft at a pub called the windmill ( iirc) on Epworth St, just south of Old Street. yes, its very premium. I was told that Stella is considered cheepo nats piss in Belgium, we seem to be scukers for foreign beer.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
now i think we should establish that these fine beers are not in fact lager, firstly to make it fair on all the others, but secondly because i dont believe they are in fact lagers (someone will no doubt correct). fyi, the difference is somthing to do with the fermentation process "largering" involves a cool temperature bottom fermentation iirc, with beer being at a room temperature and often top fermentation.

Quite correct. I believe the top fermented (ales)/bottom fermented (lagers) thing is also literal, because it depends on whether the type of yeast you are using floats at the top, or sinks to the bottom. The difference in brewing is also that because top fermentation is wamer it happens faster, therefore there is more skill required on the part of the brewer.

To be fair, you CAN make good lager, just not in the industrial quantities and in the mechanised way that the big names use. How do you instill character in a beer that has no human input into its manufacture?

And we should set aside that colour prejudice too. Lagers don't have to be blonde, just as great ales don't have to be dark (cf Duvel). You only have to look at the best lager in the world, bar none, to see what I mean. This little baby, blacker than coal:

schlenkerlamarzen1.jpg

Last edited:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Good choice and very cheap round here because of the big Portugeuse community. A couple of years ago, (along with the Sagres) I could buy it for 69p a bottle. It's still available for under a quid.

I'm an Ale drinker really, but love Spanish / Portugeuse lagers.

Can I add

sagres-33.jpg

mahou.jpg

.. and this little number from Barcelona I think. Possibly my favourite lager.

estrella-beer-120x300.jpg
Mahou is wicked, they sell it in the new tapas bar round the corner from my office.....

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Perla Chmielowa is brewed in Perla Lublin, established in 1846. Perla with its 100-year old tradition is considered to be the most popular beer in the region. With its no less than 9 Gold Medals and Distinctions in both national and international competitions, Perla is one of Europe’s most award winning beers.
The characteristic gentle bitterness, nice smell of hop and the excellent clarity are the most interesting features that describe the great taste of Perla.
Perla is brewed according the old traditions of the brew-masters, and is enhanced with a new world recipe. Perla is constantly improving the quality and ingredients (famous Lublin hop purchased from the best planters and water from their own Oligocene deep wells), for the best taste imaginable.
The result is that Perla satisfies the tastes of the most experienced beer drinkers.
Since 1999 Perla Chmielowa has received 8 awards and distinctions in Easter European Beer Tasting.

Attachments

• perla.jpg
    perla.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 87

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In addition to the german beers I mentioned earlier special mention must go to Asahi (I also drank a lot of a very tasty, very dry, lager made by Suntory whilst in Kyoto recently), a cold Cobra with my garlic chili chicken masala at The Ganges Brasserie is very nice and Red Stripe.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
what strength is that Mr Trufflehound ?

Surprisingly, a mere 5.1.

Because the malt is smoked it makes the end product taste like smoky bacon crisps. Some people are put off by that, but I find it hugely moreish, and worth seeking out.

:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite correct. I believe the top fermented (ales)/bottom fermented (lagers) thing is also literal, because it depends on whether the type of yeast you are using floats at the top, or sinks to the bottom. The difference in brewing is also that because top fermentation is wamer it happens faster, therefore there is more skill required on the part of the brewer.

To be fair, you CAN make good lager, just not in the industrial quantities and in the mechanised way that the big names use. How do you instill character in a beer that has no human input into its manufacture?

And we should set aside that colour prejudice too. Lagers don't have to be blonde, just as great ales don't have to be dark (cf Duvel). You only have to look at the best lager in the world, bar none, to see what I mean. This little baby, blacker than coal:

schlenkerlamarzen1.jpg

Mmmm. Dont like that Rauch bier. I recently, and accidently, ordered 48 bottles of that exact stuff in your picture. It has now all gone and I think it has put me off it for life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here