B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
But we've got no money, Withdean is so small, boo hoo :cry:

But these are the facts...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
I'm trying to keep out of this ongoing tedium but can't help myself...I guess to some, the grass is always greener on the other side.

To be fair: there are plenty of others banging the anti-McGhee drum with about as little coherence as the two singled out on this thread. "[Insert name of lower division/affordable manager here] and he'll automatically pick things up" seems to be the, IMHO, entirely misguided and ill-founded mantra.

I genuinely don't have the faintest idea how McGhee could better have dealt with such a determinedly unpleasant trouble-making little twat like Leon Knight, other than totally rolling over and letting him do just as like pleases - and that is not an attitude I want an Albion manager to adopt towards individuals like that.

I don't care about the fact that - as night follows day - a bunch of brain-donating sheep start bleating for the head of the England manager when they lose a couple of games - that's been happening for about as long as I can remember and I actually find it quite funny.

But that approach at the Albion? Nah, that's actually quite important to me and I genuinely think we'd be much worse off if we lost McGhee now. No-one - not even Richie Morris - knows whether someone whose managerial career has been spent clogging their way out of the conference could do better. Anyway, just my tuppence worth, as you were.

At last... some sense... great post...

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Uncle Buck said:
But something is not right with the current regime. Falling out with players in public, blowing money on a player that cannot trap a ball and oh, telling the press that it does not matter if we do not get a result in a game, only winning 4 games this season and currently sitting in a relegation spot.

No you are correct, McGhee is doing a fine job, sadly that job is taking us backwards.

:clap:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Man of Harveys said:

But that approach at the Albion? Nah, that's actually quite important to me and I genuinely think we'd be much worse off if we lost McGhee now. No-one - not even Richie Morris - knows whether someone whose managerial career has been spent clogging their way out of the conference could do better. Anyway, just my tuppence worth, as you were.

Fair enough I suppose but only winning 4 games in 38 or whatever our dismal record is now is actually quite important to me and I want better for the team I love.

B.W. said:
But these are the facts...

Rotherham got promoted to this division playing to similar sized crowds as us and with diddly squat to spend but they still stayed up for a good what was it, 3/4 seasons?

Yes they went down eventually but a good manager should be able to keep us in this division until we're at Falmer. We were comfortably mid-table at one point late last season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Rotherham got promoted to this division playing to similar sized crowds as us and with diddly squat to spend but they still stayed up for a good what was it, 3/4 seasons?

Yes they went down eventually but a good manager should be able to keep us in this division until we're at Falmer. We were comfortably mid-table at one point late last season.

And who was the manager who had the team in mid-table and kept us up last season?... oh... it was MM...

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
But something is not right with the current regime. Falling out with players in public, blowing money on a player that cannot trap a ball and oh, telling the press that it does not matter if we do not get a result in a game, only winning 4 games this season and currently sitting in a relegation spot.

No you are correct, McGhee is doing a fine job, sadly that job is taking us backwards.

You're not wrong, sir.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
kevin keegan:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:

Until injuries took over and we had two distincively dodgy keepers on loan until Blayney arrived and stopped the rot.
Rotherham had similar sized crowds but they didn't have to pay rent so therefore better off than us.

Danny Wilson achieved something with Barnsley but nothing at all with Sheff Wed or Bristol City. He's hardly setting the world alight with MK Dons, is he?

Who's judgment brought in the two dodgy keepers though?

I don't think Rotherham were much better off then us, I dont recall them making as much profit as us from sales (correct me if I'm wrong) plus with the new seats we're now getting about a 1000 more at home then they were.
My point is most folk on here's attitude is "Oh we've got no money therefore we'll just have to resign ourselves to going down" when this team could very easily finish mid-table in this division. And some, if not most of the blame has to lay with the manager for the current predicament we're in.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:

I challenged Bucky to provide an alternative vision to what McGhee is currently doing in another thread yesterday, and, not surprisingly, he didn't front up. And this post is the reason why, the usual tedious list of trivial whinges, the bleedin obvious and pointless red herrings.

But let's go through them just for fun.

1) Falling out with players in public. He has fallen out with one player in public, a nasty piece of work who tried to undermine the confidence of our young keeper before the Saints game recently. That situation has been resolved today. There were two players who had to be publically disciplined last season, Big Mac and El Abd, both situations that made the press through no fault of McGhee's, both dealt with superbly, look at the attitude of both players now in dying for the stripes. Same with Flo Chaigneau in the past week.

2) Wasting money on El Turi. Here Bucky thinks we should have a manager who never ever makes a bad signing EVER. Can Bucky provide the name of such a manager, because, of course, one doesn't exist IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL. Naturally Bucky ignores all the superb signings that McGhee has made in very difficult circumstances, because he is not interested in a fair assessment of McGhee, just putting the boot in the childish manner of a 1066/Kev the Ape.

3) "Telling the press it does not matter if we win a game". An utter piece of trivial shit this. Did anyone who watched the Saints notive any lack of effort and desire by the team that was put out? That brave performance in horrendous circumstances of 10 players and one clown out was a tribute to McGhee motivating his players. Yet Bucky still pisses on it.

4) Currently sitting in relegation spot. Since McGhee won us promotion through the play-offs from the third tier (something that Bucky's managerial heroes Coppell and Martin Allen couldn't do with their teams in recent years) EVERYONE with an ounce of commonsense among the Albion faithful knows that, with our playing budget and resources, even a successful season would have us sitting on or near the relegation zone. Our criteria for success is 4th bottom this season, we are currently 3rd bottom and in touching distance of at least 5 teams above us. This is not failure, it's what everyone from the bookies downwards forecast would happen. Our first objective was to keep ourselves alive for a fight to stay up in the second half of the season and, with 25 points, we have done that.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
I challenged Bucky to provide an alternative vision to what McGhee is currently doing in another thread yesterday, and, not surprisingly, he didn't front up. And this post is the reason why, the usual tedious list of trivial whinges, the bleedin obvious and pointless red herrings.

1) Falling out with players in public. He has fallen out with one player in public, a nasty piece of work who tried to undermine the confidence of our young keeper before the Saints game recently. That situation has been resolved today. There were two players who had to be publically disciplined last season, Big Mac and El Abd, both situations that made the press through no fault of McGhee's, both dealt with superbly, look at the attitude of both players now in dying for the stripes. Same with Flo Chaigneau in the past week.

2) Wasting money on El Turi. Here Bucky thinks we should have a manager who never ever makes a bad signing EVER. Can Bucky provide the name of such a manager, because, of course, one doesn't exist IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL. Naturally Bucky ignores all the superb signings that McGhee has made in very difficult circumstances, because he is not interested in a fair assessment of McGhee, just putting the boot in the childish manner of a 1066/Kev the Ape.

3) "Telling the press it does not matter if we win a game". An utter piece of trivial shit this. Did anyone who watched the Saints notive any lack of effort and desire by the team that was put out? That brave performance in horrendous circumstances of 10 players and one clown out was a tribute to McGhee motivating his players. Yet Bucky still pisses on it.

4) Currently sitting in relegation spot. Since McGhee won us promotion through the play-offs from the third tier (something that Bucky's managerial heroes Coppell and Martin Allen couldn't do with their teams in recent years) EVERYONE with an ounce of commonsense among the Albion faithful knows that, with our playing budget and resources, even a successful season would have us sitting on or near the relegation zone. Our criteria for success is 4th bottom this season, we are currently 3rd bottom and in touching distance of at least 5 teams above us. This is not failure, it's what everyone from the bookies downwards forecast would happen. Our first objective was to keep ourselves alive for a fight to stay up in the second half of the season and, with 25 points, we have done that.

I have one for you.

Feck off or crawl back up McGhee's arse.

I know you will say they are chav comebacks but that is all you are worth.

Now go back to the rugby.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:

Pretty sure the failing out with Mccammon was public, Telling The media he didnt care that Hart was injured again - not to bright.

Mayo is not ready was another falling out as well ill think you will find.

Uncle Buck said:
I have one for you.

Feck off or crawl back up McGhee's arse.

I know you will say they are chav comebacks but that is all you are worth.

Now go back to the rugby.

See the reference I made to 1066/Kev-style posts when his list of gripes are challenged and refuted. You have nothing to say Bucky, because.........you have nothing to say.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Who's judgment brought in the two dodgy keepers though?

I don't think Rotherham were much better off then us, I dont recall them making as much profit as us from sales (correct me if I'm wrong) plus with the new seats we're now getting about a 1000 more at home then they were.
My point is most folk on here's attitude is "Oh we've got no money therefore we'll just have to resign ourselves to going down" when this team could very easily finish mid-table in this division. And some, if not most of the blame has to lay with the manager for the current predicament we're in.

Profit from sales went into paying legal fees for a highly priced barrister fighting for Falmer and running costs. But you know all about that.

My attitude is that we've got no money but we're putting up a pretty good fight to stay in this division but it wouldn't be a complete disaster if we did go down.
I think there are one or two that agree with me.

KinkyHitler said:
Pretty sure the failing out with Mccammon was public, Telling The media he didnt care that Hart was injured again - not to bright.

Mayo is not ready was another falling out as well ill think you will find.

You've just quoted 3 players there who have shown excellent attitude and commitment to the team in recent weeks, including two of them who have been asked to play in a variety of roles. Did you see OGH star in our victory over Hull and QPR? Did you see Mayo drive himself on to combat a far quicker Saints team? Have you seen Big Mac throw himself at every ball directed towards him in recent weeks? All have stepped up to the mark when called. And this is your criticism of McGhee as a man manager?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
London Irish said:
You've just quoted 3 players there who have shown excellent attitude and commitment to the team in recent weeks, including two of them who have been asked to play in a variety of roles. Did you see OGH star in our victory over Hull and QPR? Did you see Mayo drive himself on to combat a far quicker Saints team? Have you seen Big Mac throw himself at every ball directed towards him in recent weeks? All have stepped up to the mark when called. And this is your criticism of McGhee as a man manager?

Haven't you worn that f***ing Magoo drum out with all that banging of it recently :rolleyes:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

But then you are citing 3 players that will struggle to get contracts at other clubs, where as Knight has fitted himself up with a new employer and had a choice of 2 others. So the attitude can be somewhat different. Not the correct attitude to have, but the chances were somebody would take him on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here