Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A mIssed opportunity?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm pretty shocked about your response to giving young players experience against a qualified side.

But then again the "should we sign Wilfried Bony" thread is above any thread about the Brighton youth teams so I guess having local/academy players coming through in the long term might not be as important to you as getting a result in third round of the Caribou Cup 19/20.

If these are players knocking on the door of the first team and GPott wants to see one or two of them in action without ricking them in the EPL which is of course the priority then that is fair enough but many of those last night many Albion fans hadn't even heard of, I can bet that nearly all of them will not feature in a first team squad again this season and many will probably never don the blue and white stripes again before they are sold/released.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No it's not.

You play just enough experience to win the tie - or, at least, have experience on the bench as back-up. That's what most Premier League teams do in the competition.

Don't pretend last night's selection was normal. It absolutely was not.

No, the context of this thread was that we should be having a go at the cups. If your argument is that we should be putting out a 'decent - enough' side, well that's a different argument, but if Potter wants to rest his first team and blood some youth, I don't mind him doing that

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Playing this team yesterday was indeed a missed opportunity to get tonked by a strong Wolves team in the fourth round

This completely ignores the point that had we put out a team with more of a balance of youth and experience, then we'd have given ourselves a chance of making the next round - which in turn then gives ANOTHER opportunity for our youngsters to get another 1st team run-out.

Instead, by throwing last nights game, we've now got no more opportunities to try the youngsters out until the FA Cup rolls round.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If these are players knocking on the door of the first team and GPott wants to see one or two of them in action without ricking them in the EPL which is of course the priority then that is fair enough but many of those last night many Albion fans hadn't even heard of, I can bet that nearly all of them will not feature in a first team squad again this season and many will probably never don the blue and white stripes again before they are sold/released.

Everyone is knocking on the first team door if they are good enough and prove themselves in games like this, but you cant know unless you give them a chance. Yes, some will succeed and some wont, but you wont know unless you try and I really cant see any better opportunity to give youngsters that chance.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
This completely ignores the point that had we put out a team with more of a balance of youth and experience, then we'd have given ourselves a chance of making the next round - which in turn then gives ANOTHER opportunity for our youngsters to get another 1st team run-out.

Instead, by throwing last nights game, we've now got no more opportunities to try the youngsters out until the FA Cup rolls round.

I'm interested - who would you have played from the first team squad that didn't play? (and let's assume that illness or injury hit Bissouma as Potter said that he would play). Serious questino, not having a go.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Everyone is knocking on the first team door if they are good enough and prove themselves in games like this, but you cant know unless you give them a chance. Yes, some will succeed and some wont, but you wont know unless you try and I really cant see any better opportunity to give youngsters that chance.

POPPYCOCK

They get their chance by earning it by impressing in training and in their development league games. Perhaps one or two did earn an opportunity last night and the development of playing alongside many of the senior pros in a competitive environment would have been invaluable and maybe offered hope to the other players in the development squads that if they too impress they will get a chance if they earn it, last night wasn't that at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
POPPYCOCK

They get their chance by earning it by impressing in training and in their development league games. Perhaps one or two did earn an opportunity last night and the development of playing alongside many of the senior pros in a competitive environment would have been invaluable and maybe offered hope to the other players in the development squads that if they too impress they will get a chance if they earn it, last night wasn't that at all.

This.

Last night’s game was thrown at 18:45 hours. Villa fans on forums were literally laughing, couldn’t believe their luck.

Then I turned to Dean Smith’s 11 and bench, and absolutely no surprise at all DS played very well known players, winners. Villa haven’t (yet) got a squad costing £400m of 25 brilliant players. They operate in a not dissimilar world to us just now. Put it this way, anti Villa threads on NSC this summer relentlessly mocked their spending and new players eg Mings ... indicating that the NSC football sages do not think Villa have a mid table squad.

Why did DS set out to win the tie and we didn’t? God knows.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm interested - who would you have played from the first team squad that didn't play? (and let's assume that illness or injury hit Bissouma as Potter said that he would play). Serious questino, not having a go.

Well Potter said Bissouma "wasn't quite ready" (despite coming on at Newcastle on Saturday), so I'm not quite buying that tbh. In the starting lineup, I'd have included:

Bissouma (could do with the game time)
Alzate (to further integrate him into the team after a very decent performance on Saturday)
Mooy (has only been a bit-part player, but bossed it on Saturday and looks like he's chomping at the bit)

Those three would've contributed IMO, and could all do with the game time.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We needed a win. Any win to lift spirits The players will eventually become disillusional in Potter's methods.
With two defeats coming up a cup run could have been a welcome break for all.
Results have not improved under Potter and it will only get worse.
Today is the day I finally say he has to go.

Potter OUT

:lol:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Horseshit. They weren’t given an opportunity to show what they can do, they were set up. They’ve not gained first team experience as they haven’t played with the first team. They need to be integrated alongside senior pros, not sent to slaughter.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
One future option in the event we continue in this vain in the cups going forward would be to arrange the matches to be played at Crawley's ground.

If attendances and interest tails off for the cup matches, as it's likely to do, we could save a few quid in opening the Amex and play future early round cup games at our friends up the road?

Can't decide if sarcasm or a damn good idea.

Suspect a significant proportion of those that paid for an u23 game last night will not bother again.

Not disappointed in the performance (they gave a reasonable show considering) or that youngsters got a run out, but am serious p1ssed off that I was conned into paying full price for a game that we never intended to treat as anything but a training session.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Horseshit. They weren’t given an opportunity to show what they can do, they were set up. They’ve not gained first team experience as they haven’t played with the first team. They need to be integrated alongside senior pros, not sent to slaughter.

Thats a nails head you've just smashed.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

This! The vast majority are not knocking on any f**king doors never mind the one marked Premier League.
Totally agree that most will never step out onto the Amex pitch again... Spong? Really? So anonymous that the scoreboard operator just made up a name for him!

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Well Potter said Bissouma "wasn't quite ready" (despite coming on at Newcastle on Saturday), so I'm not quite buying that tbh. In the starting lineup, I'd have included:

Bissouma (could do with the game time)
Alzate (to further integrate him into the team after a very decent performance on Saturday)
Mooy (has only been a bit-part player, but bossed it on Saturday and looks like he's chomping at the bit)

Those three would've contributed IMO, and could all do with the game time.

I have no reason to doubt Potter's words on Bissouma but we'll agree to disagree on that one.
Alzate, as a young player new to PL football should not be asked to play 3 fullish games in 8 days in my opinion.
Mooy was in the team that I thought Potter would put out and perhaps he should have played - not sure he would have made much difference in the end.

There would be many moaning if any of these three were injured last night. It's not a black and white issue.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I have no reason to doubt Potter's words on Bissouma but we'll agree to disagree on that one.
Alzate, as a young player new to PL football should not be asked to play 3 fullish games in 8 days in my opinion.
Mooy was in the team that I thought Potter would put out and perhaps he should have played - not sure he would have made much difference in the end.

There would be many moaning if any of these three were injured last night. It's not a black and white issue.

In what world would having a fully fledged international who’s played at a World Cup and has bags of Premier League experience not have made much difference for the kids last night?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They're just as likely to pick up a knock in training, you can't constantly insulate footballers from playing football just in case they get injured.

If we're taking the view now that 1st teamers cannot be involved in Cup games any more in case of injury, then the club need to be up-front about it from the outset, and state that from now on it'll be our academy players representing us in the Cups.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
In what world would having a fully fledged international who’s played at a World Cup and has bags of Premier League experience not have made much difference for the kids last night?

Agree. At 1-2 we always had a chance to push it to penalties and get a result despite the squad played. Less than half an hour for a couple of 'proper' players and we could have actually won (with a decent tailwind and a truck load of luck admittedly).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree. At 1-2 we always had a chance to push it to penalties and get a result despite the squad played. Less than half an hour for a couple of 'proper' players and we could have actually won (with a decent tailwind and a truck load of luck admittedly).

Indeed.

Having halved the deficit, it would've been handy to have had some options on the bench wouldn't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here