Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A mIssed opportunity?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I just thought it was amusing you posted that other people were over reacting and bordering on hysteria, and then went on to claim we’re down to the bare bones. There’s been no hysteria, and the squad is definitely not down to the bare bones.

So what attacking options were open to Potter yesterday? No Murray or Maupay so essentially, Connolly. Jahanbakhsh, Trossard, Izquierdo and march are out, so why risk Gross or Alzate?

You mentioned Bissouma. Radio Sussex said before the game that the word from the club is he is simply not ready. Why risk him? That leaves us Mooy, Stephens and Propper for two to three spaces on Saturday. Is it really worth risking limiting those options further. It’s so bad already that Baluta was in the squad at the Toon.

Montoya is the only senior right back. Not worth that risk. Bernardo and March out, so Burn playing makeshift left back. Bong clearly fourth choice and given the nod above Burn. Duffy and Balogun both sidelined too so only three centre halves fit.

Hopefully, the recovery time will help the likes of Murray and Maupay recover, otherwise you might find Saturday’s match day squad features Roberts, Longman or Davies. Definitely not down to the bare bones?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Best chance of silverware continues next Tuesday at Southend!

Playing Wednesday against PL opposition, Friday against their peers in the U23s and Tuesday against 'grown up' opposition again - three matches in six days ...................

................. I expect them to win at a canter . Should be a doddle.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I appreciate your point regarding Tuesday/Wednesday, it’s a fair comment. With regards to the upcoming fixtures, only 2 out of Pröpper, Stephens, Mooy and Bissouma will be starting on Saturday, surely one of them could have featured? Regarding the game, we weren’t really in it, regardless of how the commentators may have spun it, it was men against boys, literally.
Anyway, it’s all pointless as it’s done now, I do wonder what damage has been done regarding future cup ticket sales, a lot of people felt let down after last night.

The FA Cup is more important and hopefully our squad will be strong enough to compete in it then. Next job is to beat Chelsea and Spurs.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So what attacking options were open to Potter yesterday? No Murray or Maupay so essentially, Connolly. Jahanbakhsh, Trossard, Izquierdo and march are out, so why risk Gross or Alzate?

You mentioned Bissouma. Radio Sussex said before the game that the word from the club is he is simply not ready. Why risk him? That leaves us Mooy, Stephens and Propper for two to three spaces on Saturday. Is it really worth risking limiting those options further. It’s so bad already that Baluta was in the squad at the Toon.

Montoya is the only senior right back. Not worth that risk. Bernardo and March out, so Burn playing makeshift left back. Bong clearly fourth choice and given the nod above Burn. Duffy and Balogun both sidelined too so only three centre halves fit.

Hopefully, the recovery time will help the likes of Murray and Maupay recover, otherwise you might find Saturday’s match day squad features Roberts, Longman or Davies. Definitely not down to the bare bones?

And by some miracle, Bissouma, Maupay, Murray, Alireza and Schelotto are all fit enough for Chelsea. That leaves us with:

Ryan,

Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Burn, Alzate

Pröpper, Stephens

Groß, Murray, Maupay

Bench: Connolly, Bong, Mooy, Bissouma, Schelotto/Roberts, Alireza, Button

Looks ok to me.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
And by some miracle, Bissouma, Maupay, Murray, Alireza and Schelotto are all fit enough for Chelsea. That leaves us with:

Ryan,

Montoya, Dunk, Webster, Burn, Alzate

Pröpper, Stephens

Groß, Murray, Maupay

Bench: Connolly, Bong, Mooy, Bissouma, Schelotto/Roberts, Alireza, Button

Looks ok to me.

Yes it looks okay but you still have three u23/u18’s in the if you assume that Schelotto is not fit. That’s not through Potter blooding the youngsters, that’s through necessity. It could easily be more if Murray, Maupay or AJ don’t make it and don’t forget, the word is that Bissouma is not fit to start the game. We could easily have five u23’s/u18’s in the match day squad. I’m sorry, but that’s bare bones.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes it looks okay but you still have three u23/u18’s in the if you assume that Schelotto is not fit. That’s not through Potter blooding the youngsters, that’s through necessity. It could easily be more if Murray, Maupay or AJ don’t make it and don’t forget, the word is that Bissouma is not fit to start the game. We could easily have five u23’s/u18’s in the match day squad. I’m sorry, but that’s bare bones.

Bissouma not fit to start...surely some minutes against Villa would have helped? I think my idea of bare bones is different to yours, having Connolly and Alzate in the team/squad is no surprise as Potter has been waxing lyrical about them both since he arrived here, they both have first team experience( albeit not here) and neither of them represent a big drop in ability from the senior players they’re replacing, especially Connolly who was clearly being lined up for first team duty with the loaning out of Andone and Locadia.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bissouma not fit to start...surely some minutes against Villa would have helped? I think my idea of bare bones is different to yours, having Connolly and Alzate in the team/squad is no surprise as Potter has been waxing lyrical about them both since he arrived here, they both have first team experience( albeit not here) and neither of them represent a big drop in ability from the senior players they’re replacing, especially Connolly who was clearly being lined up for first team duty with the loaning out of Andone and Locadia.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Warren and Johnny said that word from the club is that Bissouma is still not ready to start. Maybe he had a setback on Tuesday/Wednesday. I heard this as I was driving to the game on Wednesday. I like Alzate, I like Connolly but they have only featured as much as they have due to injury. Murray was allegedly a risk from the bench last Saturday. Why risk Mooy if Stephens is ill?

I just don’t get why so many of you question the judgement of the players and manager. They have a far better grasp on who needs minutes, who is ready.

What happened was a pain for everyone concerned but these things happen.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Warren and Johnny said that word from the club is that Bissouma is still not ready to start. Maybe he had a setback on Tuesday/Wednesday. I heard this as I was driving to the game on Wednesday. I like Alzate, I like Connolly but they have only featured as much as they have due to injury. Murray was allegedly a risk from the bench last Saturday. Why risk Mooy if Stephens is ill?

I just don’t get why so many of you question the judgement of the players and manager. They have a far better grasp on who needs minutes, who is ready.

What happened was a pain for everyone concerned but these things happen.

Ok, clearly can’t agree to disagree.

Connolly has featured because Potter has him in his first team plans, he’s currently our 3rd choice striker, not by default but because Potter chose to get rid of Andone and Locadia. Alzate has evidently been in Potter’s plans too since pre season, and we can all see why, yes we’ve got injuries but does Alzate look like a huge drop off from March? Regarding Bissouma, I’ve not said that he should have started against Villa, but some minutes could have been beneficial, maybe a half each with Mooy who also clearly needs some playing time. I had not heard that Stephens was ill.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ok, clearly can’t agree to disagree.

Connolly has featured because Potter has him in his first team plans, he’s currently our 3rd choice striker, not by default but because Potter chose to get rid of Andone and Locadia. Alzate has evidently been in Potter’s plans too since pre season, and we can all see why, yes we’ve got injuries but does Alzate look like a huge drop off from March? Regarding Bissouma, I’ve not said that he should have started against Villa, but some minutes could have been beneficial, maybe a half each with Mooy who also clearly needs some playing time. I had not heard that Stephens was ill.

If you still believe you know better than Potter and the backroom team on who needs minutes/playing time it truly is time to agree to disagree. :lolol:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If you still believe you know better than Potter and the backroom team on who needs minutes/playing time it truly is time to agree to disagree. :lolol:
:facepalm:
I don’t believe I know better than Potter, nor have I said that I do. I’ve merely been asking questions as to why our players that clearly need playing time weren’t given any? The answer seems to be that we’ve got injuries, cool, be good when we field half fit players because that never ends badly does it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I don’t believe I know better than Potter, nor have I said that I do. I’ve merely been asking questions as to why our players that clearly need playing time weren’t given any? The answer seems to be that we’ve got injuries, cool, be good when we field half fit players because that never ends badly does it.

But you do know better than Potter because Mooy clearly needs game time and now it’s going to be the manager’s fault when they all pull up lame when they finally play :ffsparr:

Just accept that he had to make some tough decisions and balance the risk based on ALL the evidence and did what he though was right for the players in question and the squad as a whole.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Bad fan.

You’re not allowed an independent view on team selection.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bad fan.

You’re not allowed an independent view on team selection.

It’s not like NSC have ever questioned team selection over the years. This was certainly the most radical I have seen in all my time watching the Albion. I’d have been shocked if it hadn’t been queried on here.

Oh and we lost the game before a ball was kicked.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s not like NSC have ever questioned team selection over the years. This was certainly the most radical I have seen in all my time watching the Albion. I’d have been shocked if it hadn’t been queried on here.

We’re an intelligent :lol: bunch with a lifetime of watching the Albion.

It’s hardly treacherous or disloyal to GP to question the very one-sided selection of novices.

The vast majority of us still want GP to succeed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We’re an intelligent :lol: bunch with a lifetime of watching the Albion.

It’s hardly treacherous or disloyal to GP to question the very one-sided selection of novices.

The vast majority of us still want GP to succeed.

I LOVE the football we have been playing, more excited about the future than at anytime since I started following us. At the same time I do realise that we have as much chance of plunging to the bottom as shooting up the table. I still thought that team selection was SHIT though :shrug:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Personally I was bitterly dissapointed with the way we treated last night game. I know the Caribou Cup is much maligned in some quarters but as a lower half EPL club why can't we take this a bit more seriously?

At the beginning of the season I wonder what our aims are, obviously first and foremost it is EPL football in 2020/21 so survival, but surely we can stretch our ambitions slightly beyond that and take the two cup competitions seriously? We won't get 3 consecutive seasons in the EPL on our honours list, or in our trophy cabinet but whilst we are a decent EPL outfit we do have an outside chance of winning a cup, an outside chance but a chance all the same.

Haven’t you heard? 17th in the PL is all that matters. It’s like winning the Euro Cup, sorry, ‘champs’ league. You want trophies? Visit a cobblers shop. Your problem is you started watching football when this competition was one of 2 competitive possibilities. And finishing 17th wasn’t a club honour. Anyway, there’s Bob hope of a return to want you and basically every other football would like (in case you haven’t heard similarly, as a real fan I.e. goes, you don’t count where’s Mr & Mrs Sky do). So see it for what it is: a reserve training session and bit of a nuisance that’s held in contempt by those with power. In other news, Ho Chi Ming FC will now join next years newly named Uefa Europa Conference League of Practically Champions in association with cash. And Vietnam will become the latest country deemedpart of Europe to enable this and is no way is related to a huge cash ‘investment’ by their FA, the Vietwrong, who discovered a shed load of oil and gas that only required trashing a few million acres of rain forest and removing ethnic tribes people.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I LOVE the football we have been playing, more excited about the future than at anytime since I started following us. At the same time I do realise that we have as much chance of plunging to the bottom as shooting up the table. I still thought that team selection was SHIT though :shrug:

It was shit, and I, along with thousands of others believe it didn’t need to be. This appears to have upset a few :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here