Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A great way to reduce unemployment

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Slightly off topic.

I have always believed that all school leavers should have to do the basic 6 week military training programme. This surely couldn't do any harm? I can only see the positives in this scheme.

It may not Improve the levels of unemployment. But surely, it would teach the youngsters a level of self discipline that many seemingly lack these days.

My kids will never be allowed to lounge around in bed after their school days are over eg 16.. They have a simple choice in my book. Either go onto further education, sign up to the military or get a job! If they think that I'll continue to go out to work to subsidise their lie ins then they will be sorely mistaken!

Most of us found things tough when we left school but we were made of sterner stuff then!

Improvise, compromise and get on with it. It's called life in afraid!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think they were definitely on to something when they started but somewhere down the line it all went horribly wrong!

i can only presume you are taking on the mantle of being the new NSC resident F***wit......bring back falmer/rosa please........at least it had half a brain!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
National service was still in existance when I joined up (Volunteered) for my 12 years service,straight from school,it was an eye opener to say the least...it taught me discipline,respect for others as well as myself,it taught me a trade and I travelled all over the world.
As regards National Service being bought back today...as a military force don't think it would work, but as a civilian force...it could.
If you have got a job or are doing further education,fine you are excused service,if you have no job then you could work for charities,building sport pitches,cleaning roads or helping out the old and infirm...anything were you can learn to respect your surroundings,it makes my blood boil when I see motorist throw rubbish out on the street...if they had to clean it up in National Service they would'nt litter in later life.
They would'nt work all day,in the afternoon they could learn a trade just like a Government training centre or further schooling,some kids leave school barely being able to write or do simple math sums.
I feel sorry for those who are really trying for a job but the National Service would be aimed at those who don't work/won't work attitude,some people are in their 30s and have never worked in their life,their multitude of kids see this and think it's OK for Dad then it's OK for me,a vicious circle that does nobody good.
...And they should all be taxed one penny.......to pay for my season ticket....:):):):)

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Was discussing it with a client on the way back from the airport and we decided that DC should reintroduce work houses.

Not the answer. Everyone should work a maximum of 27 hours per week. Then to maintain productivity levels, the unemployed would be needed to work.

Yes we'd earn less, but deflation would occur, meaning we'd be ok. Not something that could be done immediately overnight (we'd need extra emergency service staffing as having doctors only working 27 hour weeks, would be a problem). However, can anyone really suggest working less is a bad thing for health and well-being?

Imagine only working 3 days a week, with 4 days of rest. Imagine how great life would be. Rather than slaving, day after day, week after week, to ultimately make someone else a lot of money (that in essence is all we are doing). If we all work less, I suspect the richest few would be the ones who'd suffer the most.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not the answer. Everyone should work a maximum of 27 hours per week. Then to maintain productivity levels, the unemployed would be needed to work.

Yes we'd earn less, but deflation would occur, meaning we'd be ok. Not something that could be done immediately overnight (we'd need extra emergency service staffing as having doctors only working 27 hour weeks, would be a problem). However, can anyone really suggest working less is a bad thing for health and well-being?

Imagine only working 3 days a week, with 4 days of rest. Imagine how great life would be. Rather than slaving, day after day, week after week, to ultimately make someone else a lot of money (that in essence is all we are doing). If we all work less, I suspect the richest few would be the ones who'd suffer the most.

I'm voting for you. Infact f*** it I am joining your party.

Oct 25, 2003
So you should spend 4 years forgetting all the specified skills youve gained at uni, to go off and be a mindless drone to then suddenly be put back into teaching, with no further experience.
Really helpful.

Also I think your lack of RESPECT for the people studying hard for these jobs is remarkable. You think people who have to fund and attend a hard post grad course (as required for secondary teaching), have no "respect". Or appreciation of working for something.

That sir, is a joke.

Also Id like to point out our economy is not driven by low tech industry - the area everyone would have to enter with "national service". We have a "high tech industry" economy and therefore need people who are qualified to deliver. Not just delay them going into the workplace.

read my other posts on this thread....i was clearly joking

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The way to reduce unemployment, is to make it less attractive. Stop handing out cash and give people vouchers to buy what they need to get by. When they realise they cant spend them on fags and booze they will soon get off there arse's and work for £16-£20k a year instead turning there noses up at such jobs. Problem today is everybody wants £500 a week in their hand before they will get out of bed.

If we tighten the finances of some they may well resort to petty crime to gain extra cash

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so you'd be happy with a 25%-50% pay cut then? good luck selling that.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
If I could find work I would do work. I'm down the job centre every day now. Been like that for the past 6 months and nothing. I'm applying left, right and centre only to be getting rejection after rejection. It just pisses me off that people get on their high horse and tell me to stop scrounging and get a job. Easier said than done when you have no qualifications and are 28. Sometimes It feels like anyone over 18 Is Unemployable as there Isn't anything about. I've even had to set up a Ebay account to sell stuff just to make ends meet. Even then. I'm not guaranteed to make enough to get by.

Getting a job if you realy want one is about selling yourself,think of all your qualities that make you better at your job, write them down and memorise them for interveiws.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If I could find work I would do work. I'm down the job centre every day now. Been like that for the past 6 months and nothing. I'm applying left, right and centre only to be getting rejection after rejection. It just pisses me off that people get on their high horse and tell me to stop scrounging and get a job. Easier said than done when you have no qualifications and are 28. Sometimes It feels like anyone over 18 Is Unemployable as there Isn't anything about. I've even had to set up a Ebay account to sell stuff just to make ends meet. Even then. I'm not guaranteed to make enough to get by.

Completely the situation I am in. You can easily apply for 100 jobs a week and not hear back from any of them. The job centre do very little to actually help. The problem with unemployment is it's a completely negative circle. You're unemployed so you don't feel particularly confident and that comes across in any interview you might happen to get. The whole thing is a joke. Have you heard about the new hospital opening up on Montefiore Road? They are having a recruitment day at the Amex on the 30th, between 2pm and 7pm. They're looking to fill every role, from retail to admin. That might be reasonable, but thousands of people are going to attend.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
so you'd be happy with a 25%-50% pay cut then? good luck selling that.

Deflation would occur. Things would technically be 50% cheaper as demand would force it.

Or I could be talking complete boll***s as I am not an economist.

Would be nice though to have more leisure than work time.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Completely the situation I am in. You can easily apply for 100 jobs a week and not hear back from any of them. The job centre do very little to actually help. The problem with unemployment is it's a completely negative circle. You're unemployed so you don't feel particularly confident and that comes across in any interview you might happen to get. The whole thing is a joke. Have you heard about the new hospital opening up on Montefiore Road? They are having a recruitment day at the Amex on the 30th, between 2pm and 7pm. They're looking to fill every role, from retail to admin. That might be reasonable, but thousands of people are going to attend.

Cheers N.E. I will come down on the day. It's worth a crack :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Deflation would occur. Things would technically be 50% cheaper as demand would force it.

nice idea but yes, you are talking bollocks. some things would reduce in price due to demand and also lower costs, but many things are not elastic enough to be affected. energy prices, housing for two. tbh i know why, deflation is seen as bad from all sides, seen as backwards i suppose. just imagine a union accepting that pay will be cut by those sorts of margins?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
:d
why does it have to be for 18 year olds? That seems so unfair.

Why don't we put people over 65 in the army. Hear me out. No, listen. There is going to be real problems in the nhs dealing with an ageing population. We could solve all that. Patch em up in some khakis and stick a gun in their hands and pack em off to the trouble hot spots. Bang bang bang!

Come on! Don't resist this one! We could film the battles and sell them as snuff dvds and make a revenue stream for govt to invest in jobs for the youth.

I'm sensing this isn't going to go down well. Sod ya then. Remember that as you're watching governments underinvest in care for pensioners and we are seeing old people die without care. They could have gone out with a grenade in their hand and a platoon like finish.

I'll get my coat.

Hee hee :)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What would they make?

I always used to think that prisoners sewing mailbags never relised that somewhere there were some huge warehouses full of the things
maybe if we bought back workhouses we could put the old and infirmed in them so they out of sight and could die a horrible death together
rather than at home alone?
I'm just glad that some of those on here are not DC's spin doctors

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here