Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A great way to reduce unemployment

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think you have even half thought about the possibilities. National service does not in any sense mean send them to war or to serve with our full time military.

Kids will have the option (when leaving school) to either go, full-time military (3.5 years minimum term) or NS (2 year minimum term).
Those who choose NS won't be thrown in with any full-time servicemen, they will have their own barracks, bases and operational training areas that won't interfere with our full timers.
During the minimum 2 years, the recruits have similar study options to that of a college. For example recruits can do A-Levels, Btecs, GNVQ's and the rest.
During the two years, the recruits will not only have study options, they will have daily exercise drills to stay fit and healthy, general/military (British) history education and team building skills in order to help kids integrate with other people.

I've got so much more to say on the subject but I don't want to waste my time and let it fall on deaf ears.
All I say is put me in charge and I will turn it around.

This is great stuff. Why involve the military at all? We could build institutions in major cities whereby 'recruits' could further their educations, and we'd provide leisure facilities, and barracks, or we could call them something civilian friendly, like halls of residence or something. We could make these institutions more vocational and affordable to all. You could learn about the history of medicine, or art, maybe even military, and these kids would meet other similar minded people. Instead of 'National Service', we could call it higher education, or College, or even university. If we make it so it's an attractive proposition, easy to get into, and well funded, it would be available to all not just the wealthy, or those that got straight A's in everything. I think I get it now (other than the military bit....).

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
Work House?

In the same context we are all meant to be in this mess together according to Cocaine Dave and Gormless Gideon.

Work country?

Would save on building costs.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Two words >>>> NATIONAL SERVICE !
If you leave school at 16 or 18 you go straight in 3-4 years.
If you go to Uni you do it when you finish Uni, for 3-4 years.
Men and Women.
If you refuse to do it, you go to a borstal style military prison for the duration and learn discipline, respect and a trade their instead.

Problem solved !!!
I lived in Germany from 93 to 2000,there youth at the time could choose between 1 years national service or 2 years community service.I don`t know if that is still the case but it was a good system at the time.As a teenager i would happily have completed 2 years national service.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I lived in Germany from 93 to 2000,there youth at the time could choose between 1 years national service or 2 years community service.I don`t know if that is still the case but it was a good system at the time.As a teenager i would happily have completed 2 years national service.

Too many young people in these parts appear to shun the offer of a job albeit on low wages doing rather menial agricultural tasks and far too many are visible sitting around in town centres drinking while foreign workers do the paid jobs. Too many youngsters don't have a work ethic. So the German scenario seems like a reasonable compromise, although I would like to hear more about how effective this approach is. Surely it would be far better to offer something along these lines rather than no prospect of a job or the first years of your so called 'working life' on benefits. The military offer a range of good skills training that can be valuable in the wider world after national service - or community service must benefit the wider community.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The way to reduce unemployment, is to make it less attractive. Stop handing out cash and give people vouchers to buy what they need to get by. When they realise they cant spend them on fags and booze they will soon get off there arse's and work for £16-£20k a year instead turning there noses up at such jobs. Problem today is everybody wants £500 a week in their hand before they will get out of bed.
This with bells on,and stop giving the lazy barstads free housing

Last edited:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Work houses seem like a great idea indeed. These 18 year olds are all to blame for this world recession. History will tell you there's never been a better solution than the odd bit of slavery and I myself think targeting teenagers and young adults is the obvious choice for who gets the slavery baton in this current era.
Any teenager/young adult who refuses the work/slavery house project should then be sent to Afghanistan to join in and contribute positively to the world population reduction project where their fate lies on how accurate western weaponry is when under fire from natives. If you are 'reduced' in the project you get a massive mention in the sun titled as 'our boy' and 'hero' and thanks to the generosity of your government even a cannon firing aimlessly into the sky at your funeral all to mark how important your death actually is. If you finish the project not reduced, you live with the helpful benefit of needing to kill someone throughout the rest of your life and a social incapability which leads you to more projects of similar kind.
Lack of unemployment is solvable, take the exam ak-47 plus. Join today!

Last edited:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Oh look its the weekly topic by this user slagging off the unemployed and filled with the usual shit that those who claim jobseekers smoke and drink heavily.

National Service and Work Houses ? Some people REALLY need to get with the times, although - speaking as someone actively trying to find work (who has a couple of interviews lined up) - some people seriously need a kick up their arse to find work.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Oh look its the weekly topic by this user slagging off the unemployed and filled with the usual shit that those who claim jobseekers smoke and drink heavily.

National Service and Work Houses ? Some people REALLY need to get with the times, although - speaking as someone actively trying to find work (who has a couple of interviews lined up) - some people seriously need a kick up their arse to find work.

I meant absolutely no offence to people in your predicament my friend, I have been there myself and maybe soon again by illness !!
BUT !! What i am saying is to do with those that leave school who have no prospects, homes, or no respect for the law or even themselves and have nothing planned before they leave school or Uni !! But i do feel it should be made compulsory anyway. IMO
I truly wish i had been made to NS and i mean that very sincerely.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
If I could find work I would do work. I'm down the job centre every day now. Been like that for the past 6 months and nothing. I'm applying left, right and centre only to be getting rejection after rejection. It just pisses me off that people get on their high horse and tell me to stop scrounging and get a job. Easier said than done when you have no qualifications and are 28. Sometimes It feels like anyone over 18 Is Unemployable as there Isn't anything about. I've even had to set up a Ebay account to sell stuff just to make ends meet. Even then. I'm not guaranteed to make enough to get by.

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
you're forgetting that recently qualified teachers shouldn't be educating future generations they should be learning RESPECT......for four years of course

So you should spend 4 years forgetting all the specified skills youve gained at uni, to go off and be a mindless drone to then suddenly be put back into teaching, with no further experience.
Really helpful.

Also I think your lack of RESPECT for the people studying hard for these jobs is remarkable. You think people who have to fund and attend a hard post grad course (as required for secondary teaching), have no "respect". Or appreciation of working for something.

That sir, is a joke.

Also Id like to point out our economy is not driven by low tech industry - the area everyone would have to enter with "national service". We have a "high tech industry" economy and therefore need people who are qualified to deliver. Not just delay them going into the workplace.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sometimes I really hope that the people on this board who slag off the unemployed lose their jobs.

huge

Mar 23, 2011
Two words >>>> NATIONAL SERVICE !
If you leave school at 16 or 18 you go straight in 3-4 years.
If you go to Uni you do it when you finish Uni, for 3-4 years.
Men and Women.
If you refuse to do it, you go to a borstal style military prison for the duration and learn discipline, respect and a trade their instead.

Problem solved !!!

Yes good idea! Teach every youngster how to shoot, use explosives and employ escape and evade tactics!! Let's have a load of de-mobbed 22 year olds released onto the streets after national services trained to kill, motivated and jobless!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sometimes I really hope that the people on this board who slag off the unemployed lose their jobs.

the irony of some people on here bleating on about others being taught respect is hilarious.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The way to reduce unemployment, is to make it less attractive. Stop handing out cash and give people vouchers to buy what they need to get by. When they realise they cant spend them on fags and booze they will soon get off there arse's and work for £16-£20k a year instead turning there noses up at such jobs. Problem today is everybody wants £500 a week in their hand before they will get out of bed.

Well at lease they create some jobs. We will have to employ people to deliver the cash to their bed side.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good on you, most wont. They want to start at 9, finish at 3 and get £500 in there hand for doing it. That's why the polish take up all the jobs. They work like f***, don't moan about it, turn up on time and work bloody hard...I realise you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, but a walk around any town centre in this country and the truth becomes all to apparent.

yet you do

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
surely it's (the cost) just transferred? there's still a massive cost (especially housing and feeding EVERY 16-18 year old in the country!!!!)

also, when I, and for that matter, basically everyone i knew, was doing a-levels we were also working.....contributing to the economy and paying (albeit fairly small) amounts of tax

you're suddenly taking this massive chunk of potential labour and putting them in barracks for two years

Not to mention the drain on the economy as many many students in this bracket are self sufficient (or parent sufficient) and contribute much to the economy through their spending.

However as half arsed, half baked and half thought out ideas based on biased generalisations, blind hatred, lack of understand and absolutely no research go, I think this is one of the best. Send it to the Daily Mail for distribution immediately.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If i were to be told that after my undergraduate, i'd be shipped off to do nation service i'd tell you to f*** off.

Why should I, a working and studying 18 year old with good prospects who is investing time and money in getting educated in an area which is fast expanding (computer security and forensics) be told what to do to this extent? I have no problems with work ethic. I work a job many people turn the noses up at, getting sworn at by 14 year old girls who have a night out at McD's.

Work houses aren't an awful idea, state-run industry wise. National service? Piss off.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If I could find work I would do work. I'm down the job centre every day now. Been like that for the past 6 months and nothing. I'm applying left, right and centre only to be getting rejection after rejection. It just pisses me off that people get on their high horse and tell me to stop scrounging and get a job. Easier said than done when you have no qualifications and are 28. Sometimes It feels like anyone over 18 Is Unemployable as there Isn't anything about. I've even had to set up a Ebay account to sell stuff just to make ends meet. Even then. I'm not guaranteed to make enough to get by.

Asda, McDonalds, Burger King, Tesco, KFC, Subway, Morrisons, Uncle Sams, Iceland, Co-op, Nandos.

Qualification-less jobs. Which you can work your way to the top in.

NOTE/EDIT: not that i'm saying you aren't trying! I'm very sure you are, i'm listing a list of places which have high turnover rates, staffwise, to prove a point that NS isn't teh only way to fix things (and isn't even one of them for f*** sake!)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
NO. National service is not the answer. The military is a highly professional institution and does not need a load of reluctant teenagers disgorged on them, just getting in the way for no reason (we are not fighting a damn war!). Also we don't need our top level school, university graduates being shipped off to do 3 pointless years in the army instead of doing something useful like using their talents! I'm afraid national service is way out of date. The unemployed should be made to do some kind of volunteer work to 'earn' their benefit.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here