Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A great way to reduce unemployment

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Two words >>>> NATIONAL SERVICE !
If you leave school at 16 or 18 you go straight in 3-4 years.
If you go to Uni you do it when you finish Uni, for 3-4 years.
Men and Women.
If you refuse to do it, you go to a borstal style military prison for the duration and learn discipline, respect and a trade their instead.

Problem solved !!!

So when they come out of the army where are the jobs for them to go to?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yes, problem solved. Oh, hang on....George, George, Mr Osbourne, we need to fund approx. 1million 16-18 year olds going into National Service each year, have you got some spare wedge from the budget at all please!?

f***ing hell don't you think all the Job Seekers Allowance, housing & tax benefits and child allowances all being now null and void with 16-18 year old being in the services will make up for giving these kids basic accommodation, good education etc. Priorities mate.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Yes that's the way they did it in Nazi Germany...worked brilliantly there eh?

totally agree....there are some right pricks on here.

"theres no jobs, what a mess" - what ppl dont realise is most jobs from the old "work force days" are now automated, and everything is computerised.

england is a nation of office workers now, and as compters get smarter, these jobs will be less and less. a whole new way of thinking needs to come about.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You've got to be kidding? If you offered me £13,000 tomorrow, I would take it.

Good on you, most wont. They want to start at 9, finish at 3 and get £500 in there hand for doing it. That's why the polish take up all the jobs. They work like f***, don't moan about it, turn up on time and work bloody hard...I realise you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, but a walk around any town centre in this country and the truth becomes all to apparent.

Oct 25, 2003
I don't think you have even half thought about the possibilities. National service does not in any sense mean send them to war or to serve with our full time military.

Kids will have the option (when leaving school) to either go, full-time military (3.5 years minimum term) or NS (2 year minimum term).
Those who choose NS won't be thrown in with any full-time servicemen, they will have their own barracks, bases and operational training areas that won't interfere with our full timers.
During the minimum 2 years, the recruits have similar study options to that of a college. For example recruits can do A-Levels, Btecs, GNVQ's and the rest.
During the two years, the recruits will not only have study options, they will have daily exercise drills to stay fit and healthy, general/military (British) history education and team building skills in order to help kids integrate with other people.

I've got so much more to say on the subject but I don't want to waste my time and let it fall on deaf ears.
All I say is put me in charge and I will turn it around.

that's a much more reasonable proposition than the initial one isn't it? (ie throwing EVERYONE into 3-4 years of military service regardless.......which would leave a massive void in talent for the first 3-4 years as all new graduates are put into military service rather than working)

Oct 25, 2003
f***ing hell don't you think all the Job Seekers Allowance, housing & tax benefits and child allowances all being now null and void with 16-18 year old being in the services will make up for giving these kids basic accommodation, good education etc. Priorities mate.

surely it's (the cost) just transferred? there's still a massive cost (especially housing and feeding EVERY 16-18 year old in the country!!!!)

also, when I, and for that matter, basically everyone i knew, was doing a-levels we were also working.....contributing to the economy and paying (albeit fairly small) amounts of tax

you're suddenly taking this massive chunk of potential labour and putting them in barracks for two years

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Why does it have to be for 18 year olds? That seems so unfair.

Why don't we put people over 65 in the army. Hear me out. No, listen. There is going to be real problems in the NHS dealing with an ageing population. We could solve all that. Patch em up in some khakis and stick a gun in their hands and pack em off to the trouble hot spots. Bang bang bang!

Come on! Don't resist this one! We could film the battles and sell them as snuff DVDs and make a revenue stream for govt to invest in jobs for the youth.

I'm sensing this isn't going to go down well. Sod ya then. Remember that as you're watching governments underinvest in care for pensioners and we are seeing old people die without care. They could have gone out with a grenade in their hand and a platoon like finish.

I'll get my coat.
seems like a good idea

New Directive for any war: Send Service Vets over 50!

I am over 50 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing ass-backwards. Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters: Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry' We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some asshole that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.

An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 a..m. Old guys always get up early to pee so what the hell. Besides, like I said, 'I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical s-of-a-b....

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling. They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training.

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start up a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way..

Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten coward terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple of million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons who know that their best years are already behind them.

***How about recruiting Women over 50 ...with PMS !!! You think
Men have attitudes !!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my God!!! If nothing
else, put them on border patrol.... they will have it secured the first night!:guns::guns::guns:
although being totally serious no one should ever have to serve on any front line with someone-else who do-sent want to be there

Last edited:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I don't think you have even half thought about the possibilities. National service does not in any sense mean send them to war or to serve with our full time military.

Kids will have the option (when leaving school) to either go, full-time military (3.5 years minimum term) or NS (2 year minimum term).
Those who choose NS won't be thrown in with any full-time servicemen, they will have their own barracks, bases and operational training areas that won't interfere with our full timers.
During the minimum 2 years, the recruits have similar study options to that of a college. For example recruits can do A-Levels, Btecs, GNVQ's and the rest.
During the two years, the recruits will not only have study options, they will have daily exercise drills to stay fit and healthy, general/military (British) history education and team building skills in order to help kids integrate with other people.

I've got so much more to say on the subject but I don't want to waste my time and let it fall on deaf ears.
All I say is put me in charge and I will turn it around.

Yes, because what we need most of all in the world is more people with a military outlook...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The way to reduce unemployment, is to make it less attractive. Stop handing out cash and give people vouchers to buy what they need to get by. When they realise they cant spend them on fags and booze they will soon get off there arse's and work for £16-£20k a year instead turning there noses up at such jobs. Problem today is everybody wants £500 a week in their hand before they will get out of bed.

I'm unemployed ... I take nothing in the way of handouts and get out of bed and do volunteer work for nothing. Frankly I don't think I'm alone .. yes there are scroungers but then why target the unemployed with that when many an employed person, MP's and even companies (Amazon) are ripping the state off too in the form of tax evasion and other general fiddles ... pretty easy if you know how

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ok, so there's 7.2 million 18-24 year olds in the UK.

Nearly 1.75m of those are looking for work.

The remaining 5.4m odd are in work or education.

Each year there are on average 430,000 eighteen year olds entering the jobs or vocational education market and they are unsuccessful. That's nearly 4 times the size of the existing armed forces. That's each year.

So, as well as protecting our interests abroad on meagre funding the armed forces now have to deal with educating and minding 430,000 eighteen year olds each year.

Look at the average cost for housing prisoners at around £30k per year. Ok it's not going to be that much for national service, but we'll still be talking £10k per year which would equal £4,300,000,000.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
seems like a good idea

New Directive for any war: Send Service Vets over 50!

I am over 50 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing ass-backwards. Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters: Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry' We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some asshole that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.

An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 a..m. Old guys always get up early to pee so what the hell. Besides, like I said, 'I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical s-of-a-b....

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling. They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training.

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to start up a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way..

Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten coward terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple of million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons who know that their best years are already behind them.

***How about recruiting Women over 50 ...with PMS !!! You think
Men have attitudes !!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my God!!! If nothing
else, put them on border patrol.... they will have it secured the first night!:guns::guns::guns:
although being totally serious no one should ever have to serve on any front line with someone-else who do-sent want to be there

Thank you. Enlightenment.

Plus I just laughed my ass off.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
i see the lefty pc molly coddlers are all on here tonight !!!

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
NO. National service is not the answer. The military is a highly professional institution and does not need a load of reluctant teenagers disgorged on them, just getting in the way for no reason (we are not fighting a damn war!). Also we don't need our top level school, university graduates being shipped off to do 3 pointless years in the army instead of doing something useful like using their talents! I'm afraid national service is way out of date. The unemployed should be made to do some kind of volunteer work to 'earn' their benefit.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
A hundred years ago, it took 40% of us to grow the food to feed the other 60%. Now 2% do it.

Making things for the rest of us is headed in the same direction. After that comes doing things.

Be prepared for 50-60% permanent unemployment, as the term is presently understood, in the lifetimes of our younger posters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here