Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A couple of thoughts after last night

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
DK's Mum made a similar point to one I made after the Swindon game - it's refreshing to go to a match and realise the ultra negative posters on here are very much in the minority. Noone should be swayed by the results of NSC polls as they really aren't very representative of the vast majority of fans (imho). OK, there are a lot of whingers at Withdean, but to be honest there were huge numbers of whingers in the North Stand at the Goldstone. Despite trying my best, I always used to end up near some numskulls who took the piss out of Kurt Nogan even when he was knocking in goals, or Fozzie when he was a one-man mountain in defence.

The best thing we can do for the club at the moment is to get behind the team, no matter how difficult, and especially give Micky Adams as much support as possible. He is obviously really hurting at the moment. I'd love a few things to happen on Saturday:

- DK sit with the fans in the away end (I know not always easy, due to Board etiquette);
- Micky to come over to the fans before kick off and have a chat. I remember Liam Brady doing something similar at Bournemouth many years ago, and it really got us going.
- At least 750+ Albion turn up with their voices.

It's a vital game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't disagree with any of the sentiments you've expressed here; however, there is (imo) a big difference (and not just in law) between who a business is accountable to and how the business deals with it's stakeholders. You ignore either grouping at your peril but I just don't see how BHA's officers and employees are accountable to me anymore than the checkout operator at Tesco was earlier today?
Good luck with the "Ask The Club" post btw.

It's possibly because the club - any club - HAS to operate with a fairly liberal seasoning of goodwill from its customers above and beyond the mere paying for its existence.

The nature of football is that the customers - fans - are not only expected to support the club financially, but physically (in the form of actually turning up somewhere and cheering the team on), and emotionally (actually caring about it). In many cases, that's a lot to ask, though most of us give it willingly. However, from time to time, some people, not unreasonably, demand for that emotion to be reciprocated in whatever form.

In this instance, some accountability for its decisions.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
DK's Mum made a similar point to one I made after the Swindon game - it's refreshing to go to a match and realise the ultra negative posters on here are very much in the minority. Noone should be swayed by the results of NSC polls as they really aren't very representative of the vast majority of fans (imho). OK, there are a lot of whingers at Withdean, but to be honest there were huge numbers of whingers in the North Stand at the Goldstone. Despite trying my best, I always used to end up near some numskulls who took the piss out of Kurt Nogan even when he was knocking in goals, or Fozzie when he was a one-man mountain in defence.

The best thing we can do for the club at the moment is to get behind the team, no matter how difficult, and especially give Micky Adams as much support as possible. He is obviously really hurting at the moment. I'd love a few things to happen on Saturday:

- DK sit with the fans in the away end (I know not always easy, due to Board etiquette);
- Micky to come over to the fans before kick off and have a chat. I remember Liam Brady doing something similar at Bournemouth many years ago, and it really got us going.
- At least 750+ Albion turn up with their voices.

It's a vital game.

seconded :clap2:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
A good debate..! I feel the team are giving their all,and i think wholesale sackings would only give us less money to solve the problem,which is lack of confidence.....remember the the Millwall match....Knight ,Bloom , Adams,etc are acountable to us as we are to them ie we are a club ! At the moment we are playing like headless chicken,lets not the fans,be the same .

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
If Adams sees the light and realises that the long ball days are gone, and football is about the ball moving quickly (ie shot fast passing and moving) then he should stay. But if he keeps his love of big slow players that hoof it then he has to go

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Personally I couldn't give a flying f*** who the manager is. The football is worse than last season, and on a par with two seasons ago.

I do however think the level of abuse levelled at everyone is over the top, Micky Adams has not raped my daughter, set fire to my house, or anything similar, yet from reading this board you would think that he has committed crimes similar to Fred West or Peter Sutcliffe. Similar for DK, he is the public mouthpiece of the board, the board were unhappy with certain aspects of Dean Wilkins performance, it was not to do with what took place on the pitch, but ultimately, as they are subsidising the club to the tune of £2-3 million each season, it doesn't make much difference what others think, as without them there would be no club.

In the many years of supporting the club, in most of those we have been a bit shit, some years very shit, and occasionally decent. But NOTHING will stop me supporting them, I'm Brighton til I die, and that is the end of it.

If people want a fist clenching manager why not appoint Barry Fry?

Spot on El Pres.

People need to take a step back and put all this in perspective!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wow! A decent thread on NSC, whatever next?

DK's Mum made a similar point to one I made after the Swindon game - it's refreshing to go to a match and realise the ultra negative posters on here are very much in the minority. .

That is shite as we were last night. And to think I shelled out a tenner for the privilege of being bored witless by a bunch of no good hoofers in stripey shirts.

Out played and out fought by a team that is bootom of the league and shipped five goasls on Saturday.

If this form and style of play goes on much longer then we will be playing Luton twice next season.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I cannot be arsed to read through all this thread in case there is poetry on it but I do know that Micky Adams put Virgo up front last night and then took off both our wide men..................... please f***ing explain that to me.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I cannot be arsed to read through all this thread in case there is poetry on it but I do know that Micky Adams put Virgo up front last night and then took off both our wide men..................... please f***ing explain that to me.

Good point! He could have kept Robinson on and put him out wide.

He's a busted flush, all the fluffy talk will not change anything........waiting to be proved wrong Micky!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I can't see the old Adams ever returning and it was like groundhog day at Withdean last night after 15 minutes. Bang the ball up and just hit and hope - it is atrocious.

What hurts me in all of this is Mini (my 12 year old) who I also bought the Withdean waiver for went to his first game since we lost to Derby County and after 20 minutes he said this is so predictable - what does that say when a 12 year old can see the bigger picture.

He is the type of fan the club now needs to grab from the jaws of supporting a Premiersh1te club and make him their own but with the current predictable hit and hope I can't see it happening.

I really fear for the future of this club as the current situation is exactly the wrong answer to the current issues all clubs have in attracting fans.

The football is moribound and the facilities a disgrace and don't give me the crap we are where we are, not our fault, blame others etc.......the club needs to start addressing this situation now otherwise Falmer will be a folly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Morning all. I know I don't come on here much, but I thought I'd post this to amplify what I said last night. Like many of you, I'd been thinking it for a while and I just got one of those 'jump on the dugout and say it' moments that I've had a few times over the past 20 years, for right or wrong and for love of the Albion! Off the pitch we're finally on our way. But we watch the Albion ON the pitch, and it's not a pleasant sight right now.

Micky was - still is, for the memories, for what he achieved - an Albion hero. I was very pleased when his appointment was announced and thought: great, here really is the man to take us to Falmer. (I'm not going into the Wilkins issue here, on the point in hand it's a red herring.) Like many of you I have been shocked, truly shocked, by what has transpired. I put in my two pennorth yesterday - and this is what I HOPE.

I HOPE that after all this Micky will get angry, think 'I'll show these *******' and revert to the air-punching, never-say-die, no-holds-barred manager with fire in his belly whom we knew and loved, a man who built a team which, as we saw on a number of occasions, would literally fight for each other! That is the man I thought would lead us to Falmer!

I HOPE that on Saturday (perhaps with the aid of a new signing or two?!) we will see a fired-up team like Micky's used to be, ready to sweat blood for the shirt and take three vital points. I HOPE that the extra incentive of going to Leicester on Tuesday - where he has a point to prove - will at the very least inspire us to give the kind of performance we saw in the first game against them, and maybe against the odds get a result as well. I HOPE that we can come back next weekend and give a very poor Hartlepool side some more of what they got on Fans United Day.

I'm not bipolar. A couple of bad results don't phase me. But this is something else. I still want to believe, not just for old time's sake, that Micky can turn things round. But time is very, very short. See you at Cheltenham - let's really get behind the team and give it our best shot -
but, as the Stranglers put it...SOMETHING BETTER CHANGE.....

I'm not sure that amplifiers anything you said, if anything it dampens it somewhat :lolol:

It's possibly because the club - any club - HAS to operate with a fairly liberal seasoning of goodwill from its customers above and beyond the mere paying for its existence.

The nature of football is that the customers - fans - are not only expected to support the club financially, but physically (in the form of actually turning up somewhere and cheering the team on), and emotionally (actually caring about it). In many cases, that's a lot to ask, though most of us give it willingly. However, from time to time, some people, not unreasonably, demand for that emotion to be reciprocated in whatever form.

In this instance, some accountability for its decisions.

I give all these things willingly and have done for nearly 50 years but struggle to see how expecting or demanding to know why Dean Wilkins was removed as Team Manager will move anything forward. Surely there are more pressing tasks for the club such as improving the quality of entertainment provided by the team on the pitch, particularly at Withdean, and ensuring that we don't get relegated?

Stumpy Tim

It seems to me like a lot of the people who want Adams out are those that liked Wilkins, and as such instead of concentrating on what really matters now they're still harping on about demanding to know why Wilkins was sacked. As far as I'm concerned, any information on Wilkins would be interesting but it wouldn't change anything. We'd still be a struggling side lacking direction and the talent/fight to get us out of the relegation battle. If people want to put pressure on then put it on the board to explain why it's January 22nd and we haven't signed anyone of note or Adams for what his plans are for the rest of the season.

Agree with that. I was a Wilkins fan, but he's gone. All I care about now is that Thicky is sacked very soon

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All I care about now is that Thicky is sacked very soon

You must have a great life, I care about whether I will still have a job after redundancies are confirmed at work in the next fortnight, how my son is going to do in his GCSE's, the health of my mum and about 10,001 other things before I even consider wishing unemployment upon someone else.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I don't think he meant that's ALL he cares about. Rather of the two issues he no longer cares about Wilkins. Hope this clarifies. I could be wrong of course.

Stumpy Tim

You must have a great life, I care about whether I will still have a job after redundancies are confirmed at work in the next fortnight, how my son is going to do in his GCSE's, the health of my mum and about 10,001 other things before I even consider wishing unemployment upon someone else.

Oh right. I'm not talking about you though am I. I'm talking about the Albion. And I'm sure Micky will be alright - what with the 3 year contract he was handed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here