Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A big CLAP for Dean Wilkins tomorrow?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
or a whole bunch of posters that refuse to give mcghee any recognition for 2 very good seasons

Do you really think that's the case? I think even the most ardent members of the "McGhee Out" brigade would accept that he had a great couple of years, then lost the plot in 2006, showed no clear sign of knowing how to turn it around and had to go.

The final 22 games of the 05/06 season (all competitions) saw the following record:

Played 22
Won 3
Drew 4
Lost 15

(I'll gloss over the fact that we only won 4 games in the previous 26). His time was up. He just had to go because he was on a downward spiral and had lost the players and the confidence of the vast majority of the fans... but I'm happy to say he did a great job in the two previous seasons.

Some might say he was an average player, who is now an average manager of a division three side who failed to win promotion this season when the likes of Doncaster, Carlise and Southend might well do. Does that mean he deserves anything but a polite ripple followed by a search for a replacement next season?

Me, I wouldn't say all that, it's a shame he had to come here to learn his trade, but that is what he is doing, but this season he did pretty well if you excuse the hiccup during the Christmas period, next season we'll be full of hope, and perhaps that will be his season. Well done Deano, all the best for next season.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Well said the man of many shirts. I think this has been a baptism of fire for Wilkins and this season has been a good one and he deserves credit for it. I think Wilkins has proven to be a strong manager not afraid to make tough decisions and shown good judgement on the transfer market.

The team has progressed since last season and we go into the summer in much better shape than last year, this surely has to be applauded. We are growing as team and a club and Deano has been an integral part of that process.

He has also been fiercely competitive and whilst I personally feel the season has been successful I know full well that Deano will be as disappointed as Gareth and Dave that we did not at least make the playoffs and that is the kind of attitude I like in a manager.

Dandyman

In London village.
Do you really think that's the case? I think even the most ardent members of the "McGhee Out" brigade would accept that he had a great couple of years, then lost the plot in 2006, showed no clear sign of knowing how to turn it around and had to go.

The final 22 games of the 05/06 season (all competitions) saw the following record:

Played 22
Won 3
Drew 4
Lost 15

(I'll gloss over the fact that we only won 4 games in the previous 26). His time was up. He just had to go because he was on a downward spiral and had lost the players and the confidence of the vast majority of the fans... but I'm happy to say he did a great job in the two previous seasons.

Top post.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well said the man of many shirts. I think this has been a baptism of fire for Wilkins and this season has been a good one and he deserves credit for it. I think Wilkins has proven to be a strong manager not afraid to make tough decisions and shown good judgement on the transfer market.

The team has progressed since last season and we go into the summer in much better shape than last year, this surely has to be applauded. We are growing as team and a club and Deano has been an integral part of that process.

He has also been fiercely competitive and whilst I personally feel the season has been successful I know full well that Deano will be as disappointed as Gareth and Dave that we did not at least make the playoffs and that is the kind of attitude I like in a manager.

And all this on the back of many fans, when he was appointed, saying he was 'too soft'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here