Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A big CLAP for Dean Wilkins tomorrow?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
With all due respect and as it's the end of the season - being ever so slightly pathetic is something you do seem to be an expert on.

Heh ho - roll on next season.

oooooh...who rattled your cage

He's done ok but i do not thing a standing ovation for achieving nothing is a good idea. At the end of the day Wilkins has had the easiet ride of any manager since I have watched them in 3 5 years in that the fans and board expected nothing and demanded nothing, something he has achieved in delivering.

Don't go over the top. Will you be happy with failing to make the play off's next season or the season after. We should also be targetting the top 2 not this play off 1 in 4 lottery shit.

I will give the team , not particularly Wilkins a gentle round of applause for 30 seconds and then be on my way home.

Your opinion, I realise, but I still have to take a tiny bit of issue with some things you state here;
"Easiest ride" included a player-revolt that was turned into an eventual advantage. Now I won't suggest that the players weren't HIS players, but I think they did it at the board more than the manager, and mainly because of one malcontent stirrer O'callaghan. If they'd put their full energy into playing for the club fortunes instead of just their own - not only would we have not faltered in January before bringing in new faces, but we might well have got that playoff postion sorted. Those players are where now? Nowhere, basically - they achieved nothing positive from it.
Wilkins isn't the only manager to have to deal with small funding and tight reining-in at BHA - but rather than stripping the club down to barest bones and losing his way like magoo, or looking at jumping ship like MA and SC, he took the bit between the teeth and got better players in without spending anything more than was in the coffers from sales!

Certainly DW has been on a learning curve too, but I'd rather a manager who's taking on the curves and chicanes than one who's pulled into the pits thinking his race is over.

This fan is backing Dean Wilkins for the long run, and if anyone can pull other likely names out of a hat that would be happy to work with what we've got to offer - and be able to keep competing to the end of season - then I'd still wonder what assurances they'd offer for future success.

D

Deleted member 2719

Dean Wilkins has stopped the rot and turned things around and with continued support from the board and the fans i would expect him to give us a playoff position or better next season.

Well done Deano.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Your opinion, I realise, but I still have to take a tiny bit of issue with some things you state here;
"Easiest ride" included a player-revolt that was turned into an eventual advantage. Now I won't suggest that the players weren't HIS players, but I think they did it at the board more than the manager, and mainly because of one malcontent stirrer O'callaghan. If they'd put their full energy into playing for the club fortunes instead of just their own - not only would we have not faltered in January before bringing in new faces, but we might well have got that playoff postion sorted. Those players are where now? Nowhere, basically - they achieved nothing positive from it.
Wilkins isn't the only manager to have to deal with small funding and tight reining-in at BHA - but rather than stripping the club down to barest bones and losing his way like magoo, or looking at jumping ship like MA and SC, he took the bit between the teeth and got better players in without spending anything more than was in the coffers from sales!

Certainly DW has been on a learning curve too, but I'd rather a manager who's taking on the curves and chicanes than one who's pulled into the pits thinking his race is over.

This fan is backing Dean Wilkins for the long run, and if anyone can pull other likely names out of a hat that would be happy to work with what we've got to offer - and be able to keep competing to the end of season - then I'd still wonder what assurances they'd offer for future success.

Good post NMH..

Dandyman

In London village.
I believe it's all Bars Mars' fault that Garth Glubber gets called Gavin Grover. But, to be fair, did Apologise For His Mistake.

So, who is that Gibbon Groper chap then? It's all got very confusing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Big clap is indeed due :clap:

Such high expectations that seventh seems to be only deserving of a :shrug:

But seventh is a bloody good achievement

If it wasn't for the Port Vale game totally destroying the buzz that was building nicely, then we'd all still be WELL pleased. But, hey, we kept that buzz going into the last month of the season, which looked far from likely in the Autumn.

Credit where it's due to the management and players. The boy Wilkins done good :clap:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A thread full of the usual agendas it seems. When will the Mark McGhee fan club stop their bitching? Probably never :yawn: I went on the march against Chris Cattlin getting sacked in '86 and that's about as relevent as the polarisation you still see on this board.

Well done Deano. GREAT progress this year. I for one am fully behind you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A thread full of the usual agendas it seems. When will the Mark McGhee fan club stop their bitching? Probably never :yawn: I went on the march against Chris Cattlin getting sacked in '86 and that's about as relevent as the polarisation you still see on this board.

Well done Deano. GREAT progress this year. I for one am fully behind you.

I like them both, is that allowed?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I like them both, is that allowed?

Absolutely. It's jusy a shame that there seems to be a whole bunch of posters that refuse to give Wilkins any recognition for a very promising season because they still want to bitch about Mcghee. FFS, get over it or go and support f***ing Motherwell.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
They can all have a clap from me, the last few months really have been a vast improvement on performances at the beginning of this season and obviously last season.

We've got a good squad now, well done Wilkins. We've just missed out on the apparent target though, so let's not get too carried away. However, we've proved we are capable of grinding out results, so the expectation at Withdean next season will be HIGH. I hope he's up to it.

They can all have a clap from me, the last few months really have been a vast improvement on performances at the beginning of this season and obviously last season.

We've got a good squad now, well done Wilkins. We've just missed out on the apparent target though, so let's not get too carried away. However, we've proved we are capable of grinding out results, so the expectation at Withdean next season will be HIGH. I hope he's up to it.

You talk as if he might have his back to the wall in fear of supporter's expectations.

I believe he has his own standards, expectations and ambitions matey.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
You talk as if he might have his back to the wall in fear of supporter's expectations.

I believe he has his own standards, expectations and ambitions matey.

I'm sure he does, but he's already seen the Withdean crowd desert him as a result of poor performances.

Now he's beginning to get them back, he's raised supporter expectation and proved we can mount a challenge for the play-offs at the very least. If we fail to get anywhere near the standards we've set this season, i believe the Withdean crowd will turn on him in a similar way they did McGhee. They'll certainly be quick to turn their backs on him again. As things stand, we've got the players to do it, now is Wilkins chance to prove we've got the manager as well.

I'm sure he does, but he's already seen the Withdean crowd desert him as a result of poor performances.

Now he's beginning to get them back, he's raised supporter expectation and proved we can mount a challenge for the play-offs at the very least. If we fail to get anywhere near the standards we've set this season, i believe the Withdean crowd will turn on him in a similar way they did McGhee. They'll certainly be quick to turn their backs on him again. As things stand, we've got the players to do it, now is Wilkins chance to prove we've got the manager as well.

Well, firstly I would agree that ANY manager falling short and failing to take the club anywhere can probably expect to get the same treatment from the stands as McGhee did. Why wouldn't that happen? People didn't berate McGhee for the way he dressed or wore his hair - it was the performances on the pitch that lost the fans, and the same would rightly go for any manager replicating that.

About having "the players to do it", I have always thought that football was 11 men against 11 men on an even pitch, regardless of how people perceive their capabilities. However, if Wilkins and the board declare that we have the players right now and aren't looking at making any moves on others, I'd be surprised and a bit disappointed.
To challenge for promotion, we ought to be taking on the season with a Championship-quality squad. The basis for that squad is probably there already - but there's no depth in case of injuries, we rely on loans to compliment the first team, and these players all need a little competition for their place in order to keep that 'edge'.

I believe that we have 2 forwards, 3 midfielders, 2 defenders and 1 keeper that I'd say are Championship able. Not that they'd even do well in the higher division, but that they could get us there and probably at least, compete there.
IF Reid and Hinshelwood came back into healthy contention, and be almost immediately as sharp as required, then that would be great. Even then we'd be relying on everyone to stay fit all season - which is unlikely.

I believe a couple of things have to be concentrated on;
1) some of the 'fringe players' to grow into their positions, as soon as possible.
2) A few talented prospects be brought/bought to the club, and a couple of them to be immediately capable enough to play in the first team.
3) Keep the present quality first-teamers that we have

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Big clap is indeed due :clap:

Such high expectations that seventh seems to be only deserving of a :shrug:

But seventh is a bloody good achievement

If it wasn't for the Port Vale game totally destroying the buzz that was building nicely, then we'd all still be WELL pleased. But, hey, we kept that buzz going into the last month of the season, which looked far from likely in the Autumn.

Credit where it's due to the management and players. The boy Wilkins done good :clap:

Agreed, roll on next season.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Is Mr Wilkins the manager now? I thought his was an honorary position with true control elsewhere.

Bring back Billy Lane,I say!

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
really...so what TECHNICALLY do you regards as sucess

Its quite simple Dave - Look at our league position from this season to last.

Considering all the interference at Christmas/January by Dick Dean and staff and all the squad have worked wonders - we are unlucky to have just missed out on play offs but all in all a good season - perhaps if Dick keeps his nose out a bit more who knows we may be in the Champoinship the following season

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Absolutely. It's jusy a shame that there seems to be a whole bunch of posters that refuse to give Wilkins any recognition for a very promising season because they still want to bitch about Mcghee. FFS, get over it or go and support f***ing Motherwell.

or a whole bunch of posters that refuse to give mcghee any recognition for 2 very good seasons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here