Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7 questions on GSCE maths

Your results

• Total voters

6. Couldn't remember my angle theory (or whatever it's called). It's also not very clear whether you're allowed to use a calculator, so I didn't until I got to Q7. My mental arithmetic failed me at that point so I used one. However given the paucity of decent explanation of the answers (for example for Q2 and Q3), I'd imagine you are allowed a calculator.

7/7

A number of these could be worked out as approximates; none of them were difficult.

I was at a session for informal education providers recently where we were introduced to the (appallingly-named, almost-as-badly-conceived) 'Curriculum for Excellence' and, asked what I learnt at school that I still use I said that the only thing was algebra (because I like doing puzzles). Everything else was a pile of crap.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Cheers all for making me feel dumber than I already did. God I hate(d) maths.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
6/7

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Got 7 as i'm fairly good at maths, although i hate it.

But my question is, and always has been to my maths teachers annoyance, when will i ever need or use any of it?

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
mathsj.jpg

Not bad, considering I'm WELL toilet at maths and haven't done it since i was at school :banana:

But my question is, and always has been to my maths teachers annoyance, when will i ever need or use any of it?

Depends what job you have at the end of the day. However whatever profession you enter you have you are likely at some point in your life to have to fill in a tax return or similar for which your maths skills will prove very useful!

edit to add: I say it depends because quite a few jobs directly rely upon maths skills. I'm using mine all the time as an economist/econometrician. Other examples are accountants or anyone working in financial services. Not to mention any job for which you have an expenses account!

Last edited:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Directly, probably never, but you will indirectly. Maths develops thinking and analytical skills. :thumbsup:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
6/7

Only because 3 of them I GUESSED correctly not because I knew.

So I am either a lucky guesser or a semi thick f*cker.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
I got 3 which is quite worrying seeing as i sat my maths GCSE earlier on in the week:shootself
But to be honest, most of those questions were harder than any that came up in the actual paper, there is hope afterall :lolol:

6. Couldn't remember my angle theory (or whatever it's called). It's also not very clear whether you're allowed to use a calculator, so I didn't until I got to Q7. My mental arithmetic failed me at that point so I used one. However given the paucity of decent explanation of the answers (for example for Q2 and Q3), I'd imagine you are allowed a calculator.

Also got 6, but still don't understand the angles one even with the explanation. Didn't need a calculator even with the last one; it should be apparent that the maximum area must exceed 58.24. But this is the difference between GCSE now and GCE of the 70s and earlier; calculators are allowed now, whereas with GCE you had to show your workings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here