Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7 questions on GSCE maths

Your results

• Total voters

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Depends what job you have at the end of the day. However whatever profession you enter you have you are likely at some point in your life to have to fill in a tax return or similar for which your maths skills will prove very useful!

edit to add: I say it depends because quite a few jobs directly rely upon maths skills. I'm using mine all the time as an economist/econometrician. Other examples are accountants or anyone working in financial services. Not to mention any job for which you have an expenses account!

I'm a second year Accountancy student and only really use basic Maths. 80% of the stuff at GCSE level and 90% at A level is pointless and not used. And this is quite a maths course really.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
7/7. Good to see GCSE maths is still easy. Now, if they put some A-level maths questions on the website we'd soon sort the mathamatical men from the boys. I reckon I would score a big fat ZERO.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm a second year Accountancy student and only really use basic Maths. 80% of the stuff at GCSE level and 90% at A level is pointless and not used. And this is quite a maths course really.

I'm starting acounting in september at Bhasvic, do you enjoy the subject? I never got an opinion from someone who is taking it thats all.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
6/7 not bad for an old fart...although I did do A-Level maths so I should have got all seven really!

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I'm starting acounting in september at Bhasvic, do you enjoy the subject? I never got an opinion from someone who is taking it thats all.

I meant Second Year Uni student but i also studied it at college.

I enjoyed it at college, mostly due to the fact that it's maths, not to complicated, that you will actually use in real life. At college you just scratch the surface and if it's something that you're looking at going further with then it's a good indication of whether you're going to like it.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Lemon squeazy. I did my GMAT last month so in the zone. If you want some hard-assed "quantitive" (i.e. maths) questions, have a pop at these (beware q3 is known as a data sufficiency question and is unique to GMAT):

1. On two of his tests, Harry scored 30 out of a maximum of 50 and on the third he scored 40 out of a maximum of 100? What is his average percentage score on the three tests?
(a) 33.33%
(b) 40%
(c) 50%
(d) 53.3%
(e) 66.66%

2. In a bundle of 1000 flowers, 200 have 13 petals each, 700 have 15 petals each and the rest have 17 petals each. What is the average number of petals that the 1000 flowers have?
(a) 12.1
(b) 14.8
(c) 15.5
(d) 15.8
(e) 16.1

3. What is x - y?
1) x + y = 8
2) x - 2y = 2

A) if statement (1) by itself is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not;
B) if statement (2) by itself is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not;
C) if statements (1) and (2) taken together are sufficient to answer the question, even though neither
statement by itself is sufficient;
D) If either statement by itself is sufficient to answer the question;
E) If statements (1) and (2) taken together are not sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

4. A trader has two kinds of wheat grains - one that he purchased for $20 per sack, and the other that he purchased for $12.5 per sack. How many sacks of the cheaper wheat should he mix in 50 sacks of the expensive wheat, so that the mixture yields a 33.33% profit when sold at $20 per sack?
(a) 20
(b) 25
(c) 50
(d) 100
(e) 200

5. If m kg of metal x are melted with n kg of metal y, to form an alloy, it weighs a kg. If i kg of metal x are melted with j kg of metal y, to form an alloy, it weighs a kg. Which one of the following expressions is true?
(a) mx - ny = ix - jy
(b) mx + ix = jy + ny
(c) x / y = m / n = i / j
(d) x / y = mx / my
(e) x/y = (j - n)/(m - i)

6. The average (arithmetic mean) age of the 50 members of a certain health club is 36 years. The club has a 20-person yoga class, and the people in it have an average age of 32 years. What is the average age of the club members not in the yoga class?
(a) 34 years 5 months
(b) 37 years 9 months
(c) 38 years
(d) 38 years 8 months
(e) 40 years

Lemon squeazy. I did my GMAT last month so in the zone. If you want some hard-assed "quantitive" (i.e. maths) questions, have a pop at these (beware q3 is known as a data sufficiency question and is unique to GMAT):

1. On two of his tests, Harry scored 30 out of a maximum of 50 and on the third he scored 40 out of a maximum of 100? What is his average percentage score on the three tests?
(a) 33.33%
(b) 40%
(c) 50%
(d) 53.3%
(e) 66.66%

The mean average would be (d) but the mode would be 60%.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Do you want to be an accountant when you leave uni? If yes, can I ask why?

Yes.
Yes, you can ask if you want.

Real Answer.
I have always been good at Maths, at Primary School i was always 2/3 years ahead of all the other students. Then when it came to picking subjects to study at College and what i want to do with my life everyone said why not take Accountancy. I talked to my mates dad, who's an Accountant and it basically appealed to me. I took it at College, enjoyed it so then decided it would be my prefered choice for a carear.

Oh, and the moneys not that bad either.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
7/7. But I'm a teacher, so I should have got them all right! Didn't realise you could use a calculator though, but it shows that my mental maths and paper calculations are still OK!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Why not? Its given me quite a varied career, 5 year stint living in NZ and pays well. Could do a lot worse.

No reason why not. Just curious.

Yes.
Yes, you can ask if you want.

Real Answer.
I have always been good at Maths, at Primary School i was always 2/3 years ahead of all the other students. Then when it came to picking subjects to study at College and what i want to do with my life everyone said why not take Accountancy. I talked to my mates dad, who's an Accountant and it basically appealed to me. I took it at College, enjoyed it so then decided it would be my prefered choice for a carear.

Oh, and the moneys not that bad either.

Fair enough. Good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here