7 questions on GSCE maths

Your results

• Total voters

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If those questions are meant to be a test of mathematical ability then god help us - they were not very taxing for anyone with a modicum of maths sense. What is more worrying is the fact that at least two of the people on here have recently sat their GCSE maths - one said the questions were harder than his paper and one that they were easier. It transpires that some papers are less taxing than others but I'm pretty sure in their interviews both of these will claim (should they get it) to have an A in GCSE maths. How does that help an employer or anyone interested in comparing these two people?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I got 3 which is quite worrying seeing as i sat my maths GCSE earlier on in the week:shootself
But to be honest, most of those questions were harder than any that came up in the actual paper, there is hope afterall :lolol:

Foundation paper?

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I've just finished my first year at college doing it. Piece of piss, if I'm honest with ya'

Yea, i mean first year of college is piss no matter what you take i felt. Got A's in maths, accountancy, business studies and a B in ict. Second year it got alot harder, but i put less effort in for some reason. and got B's in the 3 overall and a C in ict.

At Uni is soooo much harder than anything i've ever done at college. What i learnt in 2 years at college we breifly covered in 2 weeks and then it was learning other, much more complex stuff. And for some reason i do a module of Law.

Like i said first yea wasn't really marked and you only had to get 40% to pass so i done that without turning up to like 60% of lectures/seminars. 2nd year much harder and counts as 25% of final grade so it all boils down to the last year really.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Twenty years after my O level and I got 6/7 - bloody last question.

Good to see practical questions like exchange rates included although being allowed to use a calculator is a bit mickey-mouse.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I got 7 and being from pre-calculator age, I didn't need to use one.

I thought that the first question was the sort of thing that we did in primary school - although for me that would have been in £sd

I spoke to one of my friends who is a maths teacher last night; he said the problem with the angles question is that it doesn't specify that the point with angles x and y on it does not specify that it is the centre point of the circle. Angles on a chord only holds if related to the centre point of the circle. Bad question, apparently.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
were you meant to use a calculator? I didn't and got 5.

its been a while since my GCSE's but i didnt think i'd forget that much!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
At Uni is soooo much harder than anything i've ever done at college. What i learnt in 2 years at college we breifly covered in 2 weeks and then it was learning other, much more complex stuff. And for some reason i do a module of Law.

law is an exemption for aca, or acca as long as it covers business and contract law, and u get above 50%

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
7 out of 7.

Lemon squeazy. I did my GMAT last month so in the zone. If you want some hard-assed "quantitive" (i.e. maths) questions, have a pop at these (beware q3 is known as a data sufficiency question and is unique to GMAT):

1. On two of his tests, Harry scored 30 out of a maximum of 50 and on the third he scored 40 out of a maximum of 100? What is his average percentage score on the three tests?
(a) 33.33%
(b) 40%
(c) 50%
(d) 53.3%
(e) 66.66%

2. In a bundle of 1000 flowers, 200 have 13 petals each, 700 have 15 petals each and the rest have 17 petals each. What is the average number of petals that the 1000 flowers have?
(a) 12.1
(b) 14.8
(c) 15.5
(d) 15.8
(e) 16.1

3. What is x - y?
1) x + y = 8
2) x - 2y = 2

A) if statement (1) by itself is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not;
B) if statement (2) by itself is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not;
C) if statements (1) and (2) taken together are sufficient to answer the question, even though neither
statement by itself is sufficient;
D) If either statement by itself is sufficient to answer the question;
E) If statements (1) and (2) taken together are not sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

4. A trader has two kinds of wheat grains - one that he purchased for $20 per sack, and the other that he purchased for $12.5 per sack. How many sacks of the cheaper wheat should he mix in 50 sacks of the expensive wheat, so that the mixture yields a 33.33% profit when sold at $20 per sack?
(a) 20
(b) 25
(c) 50
(d) 100
(e) 200

5. If m kg of metal x are melted with n kg of metal y, to form an alloy, it weighs a kg. If i kg of metal x are melted with j kg of metal y, to form an alloy, it weighs a kg. Which one of the following expressions is true?
(a) mx - ny = ix - jy
(b) mx + ix = jy + ny
(c) x / y = m / n = i / j
(d) x / y = mx / my
(e) x/y = (j - n)/(m - i)

6. The average (arithmetic mean) age of the 50 members of a certain health club is 36 years. The club has a 20-person yoga class, and the people in it have an average age of 32 years. What is the average age of the club members not in the yoga class?
(a) 34 years 5 months
(b) 37 years 9 months
(c) 38 years
(d) 38 years 8 months
(e) 40 years

My Answers:
1d
2b
3 statement C and 4
4d
5e
6d

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
7/7

A number of these could be worked out as approximates; none of them were difficult.

I was at a session for informal education providers recently where we were introduced to the (appallingly-named, almost-as-badly-conceived) 'Curriculum for Excellence' and, asked what I learnt at school that I still use I said that the only thing was algebra (because I like doing puzzles). Everything else was a pile of crap.

I got 7/7 but as I am 'allegedly' a trained (though not practicing) engineer I shouldn't have get any wrong.

Interestingly whilst at school never understood the point of matrices and so ignored them, imagine my horror when I got to you uni and discovered that they were/are extensively used in engineering.... bastards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here