Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6798 what a disgrace

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've just been discussing this debate, with the Stadium Manager at Bristol Rovers (a work call).

His take on it? (adopt Ian Holloway comedy voice):

"7,000? On a wet Tuesday night in January? In that place? Bloody good going, I'd say."

patcham lad

Nov 27, 2009
compared with other cities in england, brighton is heavon on earth, we can live without a great football team hence the low gates. get used to it.

Dandyman

In London village.
There are so many things that could have lead to fewer attending tonight

Don't forget there may well be Seaon Ticket holders who live and / or work away from the area who would have to travel down to the match, maybe they couldn't get the time off to allow this as it was a rearranged game and they may have already used / booked their holiday time for other things or maybe maybe they decided that the additional fuel costs / travel time made it prohibative (they may work away during the week but are back for weekend matches so tend to just do them).

However, Remember if the tickets have been sold, the club still get the money regardless of whether people then attend, and its then up to the buyer whether they then use the ticket or not, it is after all their money and their decision to make.

Is the right answer. I and other London Seagulls face round trips of 100-120 miles for every "home" game. Most of us are STH and the club therefore already has our money but it just not possible for us to attend every mid-week game.

Top of the league playing great football.
All we can muster is 6798 against a team pushing for the playoffs.
How many of the 4000 going to watford were there to watch a game
Far more important than the f.a cup.
Yes withdean is dire but we are top of the league & need to support the team HOME & away

Ultimately it's Withdean. People just aren't prepared to pay £20 -£25 a ticket to go there. In today's economic climate value for money is a massive issue and besides the team doing their bit (which we all agree they are) people want an atmosphere and good facilities. Which is what they will get at Falmer. It's no use slagging fans off because they don't show...bread needs to be put on the table first and careful thought about what you spend the rest on. I'm surprised the attendance was that high.

Is the given attendance figure that being how many tickets we have sold or how many people actually went through the turnstiles??

IN the past, ALL sths were counted whether they were there or not

Is the right answer. I and other London Seagulls face round trips of 100-120 miles for every "home" game. Most of us are STH and the club therefore already has our money but it just not possible for us to attend every mid-week game.

Feeble.

Left london at 1815 and was in the ground for kick off

Nov 27, 2009
It's a school night, a lot of long distance season ticket holders can't make mid week games and it was damp so therefore people not feeling well stayed home in the warm. The away fans only brought just over 100.

Absolute no excuse, when we get a similar sized crowd to you. bha fans are extremely fickle, any side top of league 1 should at least be getting the 8000 or so capacity withdean holds, yet you can't even fill that.

...............Cue the "we will be all conquering next season, storm the championship into the premiership, filling the community stadium every week. Move over Chelsea, bha are here"

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolute no excuse, when we get a similar sized crowd to you. bha fans are extremely fickle, any side top of league 1 should at least be getting the 8000 or so capacity withdean holds, yet you can't even fill that.

...............Cue the "we will be all conquering next season, storm the championship into the premiership, filling the community stadium every week. Move over Chelsea, bha are here"

Pretty much all the tickets were sold (down to less than 100 available at 5.00pm) for yesterday, so we couldn't have got more people in even if we had wanted. Sadly Col U only brought 124 with them which kept the overall attendance down, along with a few no-shows from the STH's who couldn't make it. I don't really see what the story is here.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Feeble.

I expect you would get there on time if you LEFT London at 6.15pm, i.e. the train started its journey out of the station. However unless you work directly next door to Victoria or whatever London station, I would suggest your journey did not actually start at 6.15pm?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Feeble.

18:15 Gatwick Express from Victoria? Me too.

Back to the thread, as far as I am concerned if people have bought a ticket and decided not to turn up, for what ever reason, what the f*** has it got to do with anybody else :shrug: I have a season ticket, I went, thats all that matters to me.

I expect you would get there on time if you LEFT London at 6.15pm, i.e. the train started its journey out of the station. However unless you work directly next door to Victoria or whatever London station, I would suggest your journey did not actually start at 6.15pm?

OK so journey actually started at 5.45 (time I left the building) - worked through lunch so I could get away in time.

all about PRIORITIES

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
20k at the Goldstone on a wet winter Tues night in div 3 ? You're welcome to prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

I reckon this happened ONCE

February 1976 v Palace (a game where you would EXPECT a good crowd) 33,300

The other home midweek attendences above 20,000 in 'the good old Goldstone Days' * were:

10/3/76 21,423 v Sheff Wednesday (Wednesday night)
6/4/77 25,451 v Portsmouth (Wednesday)
12/4/77 26,253 v Reading (Tuesday)
3/5/77 30,756 v Sheffield Wednesday (Tuesday)
27/9/77 25,132 v Luton Town (Tuesday)
25/5/78 31,203 v Charlton Athletic (Tuesday)
22/8/78 21,548 v Cambridge United (Tuesday)

*This DOESN'T include games at Easter, Christmas, New Year or Cup games

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I reckon this happened ONCE

February 1976 v Palace (a game where you would EXPECT a good crowd) 33,300

The other home midweek attendences above 20,000 in 'the good old Goldstone Days' * were:

10/3/76 21,423 v Sheff Wednesday (Wednesday night)
6/4/77 25,451 v Portsmouth (Wednesday)
12/4/77 26,253 v Reading (Tuesday)
3/5/77 30,756 v Sheffield Wednesday (Tuesday)
27/9/77 25,132 v Luton Town (Tuesday)
25/5/78 31,203 v Charlton Athletic (Tuesday)
22/8/78 21,548 v Cambridge United (Tuesday)

*This DOESN'T include games at Easter, Christmas, New Year or Cup games

Of course, it being a Tuesday or a Wednesday has a huge influence on the attendance. And how many midweek home league games are there anyway in the course of a couple of seasons? May have been a slight exaggeration, but those which weren't over 20,000 were usually not that far off. Average home attendance 76/77 was 20k, 77/78 25k. Now we struggle to get 7,000 - despite the fact that we have been top of the league for a record number of weeks and have a team that are playing the best football by any Brighton side for decades. I know Withdean is crap but so in reality was the Goldstone. Anyone else remember standing on the East Terrace on a cold and rainy evening? Pleasant it wasn't.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We've had SHIT home support for years. Furthermore, aside from 'big' games we have shit away support too. What people don't realise is taking 2500 to Bournemouth is fine (we lost) - but taking 250 on a Tuesday to another game is shit. Both games are worth 3 points and equally as important.

Football fans :nono:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Of course, it being a Tuesday or Wednesday has a huge influence on the attendance. And how many midweek home league games are there anyway in the course of a couple of seasons? May have been a slight exaggeration, but those which weren't over 20,000 were usually not that far off. Average home attendance 76/77 was 20k, 77/78 25k. Now we struggle to get 7,000.

It's utterly pointless to compare what's happening now, with the halcyon days at The Goldstone. There are so many factors that make a realistic comparison almost impossible.

Another angle is that in 1976/77, when our average attendance was just over 20,000, this represented around two thirds of capacity. This season, we average 7113 at home, which is 80% of capacity.

Draw your own conclusions

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Top of the league playing great football.
All we can muster is 6798 against a team pushing for the playoffs.
How many of the 4000 going to watford were there to watch a game
Far more important than the f.a cup.
Yes withdean is dire but we are top of the league & need to support the team HOME & away

assssss-hoooooolle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here