Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6798 what a disgrace

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
From the back of the family stand last night, the North and South looked pretty full. There were many spaces in the family stand though. Many of these will be kids with season tickets. It is such a good deal to buy these, but not possible to upgrade these to adult tickets for casual supporters midweek. Hence the family stand was about two thirds full. With about 1000 seats free in the Worthing Stand, it is not hard to see how the numbers add up, but not good to see our home crowd dip below Swindon's. I doubt that will happen next season though.

I also noticed that Crawley have finally managed to attract a crowd. They had around 3300 glory hunters in attendance last night, pretty much doubling their average. I doubt it covered their costs though.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Poor crowd I beg to differ, there were a few spaces in the w and family stand but other than that and the away end, it looked pretty full to me, anyone have huge numbers of empties near them?, like 2002 empty seats, dammed if I could see them!!!

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
I'm a season ticket holder and make most Tuesday night games and yes i will be at Watford but i work in London and some times my job does not allow me to make the mid week games..... i try to plan my work calendar so that i'm either working from home or at least in the London office for these games but it's hard when the games are rearranged and meetings/schedules are already set. That said if i know i can't make it, my seat is usually occupied but a growing number of substitutes!..... and yes i was there last night.

Top of the league playing great football.
All we can muster is 6798 against a team pushing for the playoffs.
How many of the 4000 going to watford were there to watch a game
Far more important than the f.a cup.
Yes withdean is dire but we are top of the league & need to support the team HOME & away

And?

Those that did not attend had the right choose for themselves.

They missed out on a decent game of football and there was, at times, the very real prospect of an atmosphere breaking out! I would rather have some atmosphere and passion being shown from the 6798 that attended than a selling out and the place being like a library.

Couple that with a busy (and expensive) few weeks due to re-arranged fixtures, at the most finacially rotten time of year, I don't see an issue.

HCQ

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
20k at the Goldstone on a wet winter Tues night in div 3 ? You're welcome to prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Average home attendance in that 76/77 season when we got promoted from the old Division 3 was just over 20,000. Most games in the second half of the season were around that figure or slightly under.

Agreed, Colchester's support was pitiful but the home stands should be full given where we are and the way we are playing. Of course, there are always valid reasons why people can't go, but falling short of 7,000 is still poor in my opinion.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Pretty poor crowd really.

Only have to look at the official match thread to see the numbers of locals on there. Interestingly its often those that shout loudest on here that never seem to attend home games.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Average home attendance in that 76/77 season when we got promoted from the old Division 3 was just over 20,000. Most games in the second half of the season were around that figure or slightly under.

Agreed, Colchester's support was pitiful but the home stands should be full given where we are and the way we are playing. Of course, there are always valid reasons why people can't go, but falling short of 7,000 is still poor in my opinion.

You have to factor in cost though as well. I would think that it was a lot cheaper in relative terms to stand at the goldstone in 1976 than it is now. Todays maths and memory challenge - how many pints of beer would have been the equivalent cost to stand at the Goldstone in 1976 and how many is it now? I have already failed on the memory bit, but then I was too young to drink in 1976.

35 years ago football was more affordable to the masses and years of exile and limited capacity has eroded the Albion supporter base. The Amex will re-open the door to returning supporters and new supporters and it should be possible for attendances to rise considerably but it will also remain financially prohibitive to some and as such it may reflect in cold / wet / bleak mid-week fluctations in attendance. PLUS the Amex will be far more welcoming to away supporters who will be able to watch the game in the same postcode as the home supporters!

HCQ

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well I don't bring my two young kids to midweek games, so their season tickets seats were empty.

Getting them home at midnight, on a school night, is simply not acceptable. If anyone has a problem with that they can suck my balls.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You have to factor in cost though as well. I would think that it was a lot cheaper in relative terms to stand at the goldstone in 1976 than it is now. Todays maths and memory challenge - how many pints of beer would have been the equivalent cost to stand at the Goldstone in 1976 and how many is it now? I have already failed on the memory bit, but then I was too young to drink in 1976.

I did say it wasn't a fair comparison in many ways - but if we could get say 18k then at an equivalent fixture, then surely we can muster 7,000 now.

I was there last night, didn't get home till nearly midnight. Not too many empty seats around me in J block.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Only have to look at the official match thread to see the numbers of locals on there. Interestingly its often those that shout loudest on here that never seem to attend home games.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what i thought when i got home from the game last night.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

While you're right in that our average home attendance that season was just over 20K you forget that we had capacity for another 13K in that ground. I take it you're aware that our current ground only holds just over 8K so we were only 1600 or so short of full despite there being virtually no-one in the away end which holds 800. Also, the crowds in 76/77 didn't really build up until the last 7 or 8 home games (H v Palace excepted). The mid-Jan home game against Chester had only 16K - less than half full.

Given the fact that this was a rearranged game, on a school night in January with a virtual no-show from the opposition fans then I think it was a pretty good turn out. But don't let it stop you having a good moan if it makes you feel better.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
While you're right in that our average home attendance that season was just over 20K you forget that we had capacity for another 13K in that ground. I take it you're aware that our current ground only holds just over 8K so we were only 1600 or so short of full despite there being virtually no-one in the away end which holds 800. Also, the crowds in 76/77 didn't really build up until the last 7 or 8 home games (H v Palace excepted). The mid-Jan home game against Chester had only 16K - less than half full.

Given the fact that this was a rearranged game, on a school night in January with a virtual no-show from the opposition fans then I think it was a pretty good turn out. But don't let it stop you having a good moan if it makes you feel better.

Don't understand the point you're trying to make. Surely it's actual numbers that count not the capacity of the stadium?

I know it was a rearranged fixture, but there must be as many people who couldn't make the game last time who could this, as vice versa. And even if Colchester had brought another 200 fans, we'd have still been under 7,000.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I know it was a rearranged fixture, but there must be as many people who couldn't make the game last time who could this, as vice versa. And even if Colchester had brought another 200 fans, we'd have still been under 7,000.
pointlessly negative?

The main home sections were practically sold out.
The Family Stand had gaps and the Away end was virtually empty.
We are selling season tickets like hot cakes.
We regularly take 2,000+ to accessible away games.
We are top of the league.

Where is the problem?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Also, we're not that big a club.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
6798 sounds like a perfectly respectable post-Christmas figure to me, considering there were hardly any away fans and there's imminent trips to Watford and Orient to pay for :shrug:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the game was played on a Saturday the crowd would have only been around 7,300. Get over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here