Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6798 what a disgrace

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Top of the league playing great football.
All we can muster is 6798 against a team pushing for the playoffs.
How many of the 4000 going to watford were there to watch a game
Far more important than the f.a cup.
Yes withdean is dire but we are top of the league & need to support the team HOME & away

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a school night, a lot of long distance season ticket holders can't make mid week games and it was damp so therefore people not feeling well stayed home in the warm. The away fans only brought just over 100.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Yes withdean is dire but we are top of the league & need to support the team HOME & away

On a Tuesday night in shite conditions in a ground with no roof. Nice one.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought the support was good, just lacking a bit in numbers. The only stand not to sell out was the W block. Presumably the shortfall was 700 odd missing Colchester fans and 1,000ish no shows on our part. I'd imagine not all STHs would be able to make it to a midweek game. Kids not able to stay up that late and so on.

When I bought my ticket at 1800 there were approx 100 unsold in the W block and that was it. The V block is dead.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It would have been a lot higher if Colchester had brought more than just the 1 man and his dog they had tonight, resulting in about 800ish empty seats in a deserted away end

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's a school night, a lot of long distance season ticket holders can't make mid week games and it was damp so therefore people not feeling well stayed home in the warm. The away fans only brought just over 100.

Spot on.

(sorry meant to say THIS)

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It's January what else is there to do on a Tuesday night.
In November we managed over 7000 against Exeter on Tuesday night.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's January and the christmas spending bills are coming home to roost
School night
(almost) no away fans

which facts alone mean that it equates to nearer a 7,500 attendance which at Withdean would be "okay". I doubt we will get more than three 8,000 crowds between now and the end of the season. Next season if we do no better than enough to stay up I expect we will average double that..............thank god for plastic fans. They will breath new life into the club.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i feel we should stop saying its a sell out when it not officially and im only saying

Well, it helps people to know whether or not they can buy a ticket. There is currently no facility in place (other than ticket exchange on NSC) to sell your seat if you can't make it.

Tonight was not billed as a sell out as there were tickets remaining.

Ps If all the tickets are sold, it is a sell out. If not everyone turns up, then it is not a full house.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
okay the only block you could buy tickets for is j block and all the other blocks are sold out according to the seating plan on the website and that is still good support for a tuesday night and a school night

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Maybe almost all of the 4000 going to Watford were there! 4000 (+100 Colchester fans) is still well short of 6798.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's January what else is there to do on a Tuesday night.
In November we managed over 7000 against Exeter on Tuesday night.

There are so many things that could have lead to fewer attending tonight

Colchester, with 11 draws so far this season may have been considered potentially a boring game to watch, there was talk of them putting everyone behind the ball and killing the game as a spectacle, if there are selective fans out there with ST's, this is one they may have chosen to skip.

Exeter brought nearly 200 fans, Colchester were well short of this figure (guess 100 max)

Tonights match is after Christmas, people have bills to pay and going to watch football may drop down their list of priorities due to financial constraints (the public sector cuts, people worried they will be out of work soon so saving etc)

We had Lua Lua playing for us then, he probably drew in a few extra fans, coming to see what the fuss was all about.

The weather, tonight was looking like it was going to rain during the match, was it dry (no threat of rain) for the Exeter match in November?

Don't forget there may well be Seaon Ticket holders who live and / or work away from the area who would have to travel down to the match, maybe they couldn't get the time off to allow this as it was a rearranged game and they may have already used / booked their holiday time for other things or maybe maybe they decided that the additional fuel costs / travel time made it prohibative (they may work away during the week but are back for weekend matches so tend to just do them).

KneeOn (and maybe others too) may have agreed to work an extra shift without realising it clashed with the football tonight until too late to change

Fans may have left their tickets behind / lost them and were unable to get duplicates as there was less than 24 hours to kick off (especially as it was a rearranged game so likely to have been torn out the ST books already)

However, Remember if the tickets have been sold, the club still get the money regardless of whether people then attend, and its then up to the buyer whether they then use the ticket or not, it is after all their money and their decision to make.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have a feeling that the Amex will be slightly less rocking mid week too.

Problem with having a big catchment area is that many (including myself) come a long way to watch the Albion.

It won't be empty, but I predict the odd "hole".

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I agree with the thread starter - what an atrocious attendance. How many of the absentees will be in the top priority group for tickets to the Amex - yet they can't be bothered to go and see us when we're top of the league and playing the best football by any Brighton side for years. Abysmal.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Well the fact that I work evenings and live 160 miles from Brighton are the main reasons why I'm going to Watford on Saturday (my birthday too :) ) but couldn't make the trip to the Withdean tonight.

Just because you may have the money and ability to go to withdean on a tuesday night doesn't mean that the hundreds of loyal albion fans that would love to have watched their team tonight didn't turn up for a lack of desire to attend.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
If you see virtually every game lower than Premiership had way lower than average attendences, also people that maybe live outside of Brighton and come to home games, also people who work in london or have to work late, cant make it, so lots of reasons why, not that wouldnt want to be at game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Well I'm out of work and live in London but still managed to make it. It seems a lot of locals couldn't be bothered. I can't believe people are saying a little bit of rain put some fans off attending. It wasn't even raining during the match! I know Withdean is a dump but the Goldstone was hardly palatial and was pretty open to the elements too, but we were getting 20,000 plus when we were top of the old 3rd division in the 70s. I know it's not a fair comparison to make in some ways, but under 7,000 really is pathetic.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I agree with the thread starter - what an atrocious attendance. How many of the absentees will be in the top priority group for tickets to the Amex - yet they can't be bothered to go and see us when we're top of the league and playing the best football by any Brighton side for years. Abysmal.

what an atrocious view point, totally ignoring any and all extenuating circumstances that may have forced some fans non attendance (such as its a school day tomorrow, or those who work / live away and didn't have enough time to get to the game and / or fuel costs making it prohibative, etc)

Why do you and the op feel the need to criticise people who have paid for tickets but not attended, arn't season ticket holders allowed to miss an occasional game? especially rearranged matches like this that are moved from a Friday night to a Tuesday evening. Not everyones life revolves around football matches.

Would you still be criticising the numbers of home fans at the game if we had played a side that brought a large number of fans with them and so instead of having 100 away fans we had 800, giving us an overall attendance of around 7500???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here