Votes: 190 35.6%

Votes: 1 0.2%

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
BODMAS. You do the addition before the subtraction.

At the stage 6 - 0 + 1 [so it'd be 6 - (0+1)] you'd add 0 + 1 = 1 and then 6 - 1 = 5. Shirley?

addition and subtraction do not need to be done in order, once it is left as 6 - 0 + 1 you just calculate from left to right as there are no predetermined brackets.

This is what i meant earlier about people using BODMAS wrong to get 5.

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I have an A-Level maths lesson tomorrow, so I will ask my teacher and then post afterwards, that'll be the closest thing to being sure of the answer.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I agree with this, surely minus 0 isn't a number, you can't have minus zero of something,
therefore 6 - 0 + 1 =
6 - + 1= 5

It's not the number "minus zero" though, it's an operation: subtract zero.

And even if it was the number "minus zero", that would make the sum equivalent to
(6) + (-0) + (1). Which would still equal 7. You can't just ignore the zero and leave the negative sign hanging there!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think the answer is 1

6-1=5
5x0=0
0+2=2
2/2=1

Simples

I worked it out like that too , mind you one third of the poll came up with the same conclusion and another third came up with 7 so does that make us semi dunces who gave 1 as the answer ?

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
For the same reason as the sun never goes down on me.

You've put so much weight on that you have attained the mass & size of a small planet?:ohmy::jester:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The problem is that you do the division first 2/2 = 1
No you don't. The multiplication is to the left of the division, so you do that first, then the division, then subtraction, then the addition. Gives the same answer though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
There are two answers depending on how you were taught Bidmas/Bodmas, either you say that Addition takes priority over Subtraction (how they teach it at school these days) and then the answer would be 5, or that Addition and Subtraction have equal value and the equation should be read from left to right, this would give the answer as 7.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
There are two answers depending on how you were taught Bidmas/Bodmas, either you say that Addition takes priority over Subtraction (how they teach it at school these days) and then the answer would be 5, or that Addition and Subtraction have equal value and the equation should be read from left to right, this would give the answer as 7.

Do they really teach it like that at school these days?

The BBC revision website seems to agree with the 'Addition and Subtraction have equal value' methodology - surely this is based on, and checked against, the actual curriculum??
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/maths/number/order_operation/revise2.shtml

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here