Votes: 28 5.3%

Votes: 190 35.6%

Votes: 1 0.2%

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
There are two answers depending on how you were taught Bidmas/Bodmas, either you say that Addition takes priority over Subtraction (how they teach it at school these days) and then the answer would be 5, or that Addition and Subtraction have equal value and the equation should be read from left to right, this would give the answer as 7.

One way has to be incorrect as there's only one answer surely. For the record, I was taught to do the multiplication and division first, ie. put them in brackets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are two answers depending on how you were taught Bidmas/Bodmas, either you say that Addition takes priority over Subtraction (how they teach it at school these days) and then the answer would be 5

Really? Are you really saying there are children being taught that 100 - 10 + 10 = 80 and not 100?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2

BODMAS

First the brackets, there are none.
Second the orders, there are none.
Third the division, so it becomes: 6 - 1 x 0 + 1
Then the multiplication, (-1 x 0), so it becomes: 6 + 0 + 1
Then the addition, leaving you with 7.

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2

This bit is taken as 6 + -1 x 0, otherwise the answer would be 5.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Really? Are you really saying there are children being taught that 100 - 10 + 10 = 80 and not 100?

Alright, I'll rephrase that as, "that is how I remember being taught it it 8-9 years ago. At least that was how I always interpretted it and don't ever remember being told otherwise.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2

BODMAS

Then the multiplication, (-1 x 0), so it becomes: 6 + 0 + 1
Then the addition, leaving you with 7.

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2

This bit is taken as 6 + -1 x 0, otherwise the answer would be 5.

That makes no sense. There isn't a -1, it's a simple function of subtraction.

6-1x0+2/2 = 6-(1x0)+(2/2) = 6-(0)+(1) = 7

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
From wiki:

Mnemonics are often used to help students remember the rules, but the rules taught by the use of acronyms can be misleading. In the United States the acronym PEMDAS is common. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. PEMDAS is often expanded to "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" with the first letter of each word creating the acronym PEMDAS. Canada uses BEDMAS and the UK uses BIDMAS or BODMAS. In Canada and other English speaking countries, Parentheses may be called Brackets, or symbols of inclusion and Exponentiation may be called either Indices, Powers or Orders, which have the same precedence as Roots or Radicals. Since multiplication and division are of equal precedence, M and D are often interchanged, leading to such acronyms as BODMAS.

These mnemonics may be misleading when written this way, especially if the user is not aware that multiplication and division are of equal precedence, as are addition and subtraction. Using any of the above rules in the order "addition first, subtraction afterward" would also give the wrong answer.

10 - 3 + 2

The correct answer is 9 (and not 5, which we get when we add 3 and 2 first to get 5,and then subtract it from 10 to get the final answer of 5), which is best understood by thinking of the problem as the sum of positive ten, negative three, and positive two.

10 + (-3) + 2

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Some people (quite a few actually) on here are computer programmers (myself included) so they use operator precedence as part of their everyday work. If I hadn't had to use it since school then I'd probably struggle too.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2 =

So 6-1 = 5 yes
x 0 = 5 yes
+ 2 divided by 2 which = 1 yes
then the 5 + the 1 = 6

BLOODY 6 !!!!!!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
BODMAS?.....Bollocks more like

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This basic arithmetic is taught at KS2 to KS3 (ages 9-14).

423 NSC users managed 35.7% correct answers.

OH DEAR :nono:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
That makes no sense. There isn't a -1, it's a simple function of subtraction.

6-1x0+2/2 = 6-(1x0)+(2/2) = 6-(0)+(1) = 7
and this "multiplication and division are of equal precedence, as are addition and subtraction."

This is correct. It's what I did without having to really think about it because BODMAS was drilled into me at skool (so to speak). The answer is 7.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are two answers depending on how you were taught
Yes, whether you were taught correctly or incorrectly.
They can't have been, they just can't remember and don't want to admit they're wrong.
6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2

BODMAS

Wrong.

Division and Multiplication are equal and done left-to-right. The same case with addition and subtraction, as eloquently shown by Bozza.

Then the multiplication, (-1 x 0)
:lol: now you're just being silly.

EDIT - strangely your next post gets it right:
These mnemonics may be misleading when written this way, especially if the user is not aware that multiplication and division are of equal precedence, as are addition and subtraction. Using any of the above rules in the order "addition first, subtraction afterward" would also give the wrong answer.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bloody hell people!
Division and multiplication are equivalent! As are subtraction and multiplication. So it does not matter what order you do them in as long as you do the multiplications and divisions before the additions and subtractions you will get the same answer.
You can simply test it yourself and work it out.

This is a great example of why you should NEVER ask the general public ANYTHING!
Er, you've got that completely wrong. You've typed that subtraction and multiplication are equivalent - we'll assume that was a typo and you meant to say that subtraction and addition are equivalent and the order you do them in does not matter, but that's wrong too. Do you not understand Bozza's simple example below?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I can only really see the answer being 1 or 7... however i voted 1

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] name and shame everyone else that selected 2,3,4,5,6

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can only really see the answer being 1 or 7... however i voted 1

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] name and shame everyone else that selected 2,3,4,5,6
And 1, 8, and 9. You can see the answer being 1, but that doesn't make it right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here