Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5 players who should be on Chris Hughton’s January wishlist

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The issue is though that Bong is due to be back in 8 weeks time, based on the initial assessment. Would Ashley Cole be match fit much earlier than that ? ???

I think we really need someone who'll be in the team within 2 weeks of signing.[/QUOTE

Who knows, we ideally want somebody in Sunday at Bunley what about a loan and January buy of the Aussie from Bradford as mentioned previously.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Ravel Morrison- Improves team moral
Michu- same as above
Joey Barton- Improves intelligence of team.
Ashley Cole- Influential role model and loyal team leader.
Ched Evans- Any publicity is good publicity.

Squad complete.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My 5 are:
Matt Derbyshire
Jed Wallace
Mark Hudson
Reuben Reid

Interesting list but none of them for me. I believe we will be looking at a potentially higher quality, but then nothing would surprise me.

I have not decided my five shortlist, two to sign yet. Later. Saturday afternoon probably.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We have the wingers when fit so don need to sign another one plus there is talk of this 18 year old from Dagenham & Redbridge. AS I said I am not saying Reid is the answer just to take look at if you dont look you dont succeed Peterborough seem to have made a lot of money and been succesful with bringing in players from lower league clubs. What we desperately need is a 'fox in the box' goalscorer above any other position.

BG - You cannot use Peterborough as an example of obtaining players from lower and non leagues and then selling them on at a profit.

Peterborough had the benefit of the Man Utd scouting system to help them with that and that is a 100% fact. What happened was when Man Utd were scouting players and they came across someone who perhaps was not quite good enough for Utd but they would be good enough for League 1 or the Championship. Alex Ferguson would tip Darren Ferguson off and through that the wheels would be set in motion. Thats why they had such sucess in the transfer market in recent years.

Those players were what kept Darren Ferguson in a job for so long

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG - You cannot use Peterborough as an example of obtaining players from lower and non leagues and then selling them on at a profit.

Peterborough had the benefit of the Man Utd scouting system to help them with that and that is a 100% fact. What happened was when Man Utd were scouting players and they came across someone who perhaps was not quite good enough for Utd but they would be good enough for League 1 or the Championship. Alex Ferguson would tip Darren Ferguson off and through that the wheels would be set in motion. Thats why they had such sucess in the transfer market in recent years.

Those players were what kept Darren Ferguson in a job for so long

I hadnt considered that and given the credit to Barry Fry.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I was told it by a senior coach at the club that we offered more than you quote. Eventually Stephens came to us for a reputed fee of £650k an Kermognant went to Bournemouth for a reputed £900k

From a closer 'source' Stephens' fee was more than that....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The issue is though that Bong is due to be back in 8 weeks time, based on the initial assessment. Would Ashley Cole be match fit much earlier than that ? ???

I think we really need someone who'll be in the team within 2 weeks of signing.[/QUOTE

Who knows, we ideally want somebody in Sunday at Bunley what about a loan and January buy of the Aussie from Bradford as mentioned previously.

I honestly can't see us solving the left back problem before January. The problem is that for as long as Rosenior is doing a great job there as a stand in, the club won't go for a short term loan replacement.

The problem is of course, that we are missing Liam doing that great holding role in midfield, especially away from home when we need to shore things up and play a bit more defensively.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ruled out Yann Kermorgant. Aged 34. That leaves my five with none on the list. I won't be disappointed if we sign none of the list pulled out of a hat at random.
Leeds random list:

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/5-players-who-should-be-on-steve-evans-january-wishlist/?

Liam Bridcutt

Kyle Lafferty

Lewis Grabban

James Wilson

Joao Carlos Teixeira

I think it is a better list, but I would not choose any of them, perhaps?

The first and last on your amended list are definates no no's. The other three? . . . maybe.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As eexpected:tosser:

I'm sorry? You should get a :ban: for that unprovoked attack? All I did was do a realistic list in my opinion. All have been mentioned on here recently by my knowledgeable fellow fans?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sorry? You should get a :ban: for that unprovoked attack? All I did was do a realistic list in my opinion. All have been mentioned on here recently by my knowledgeable fellow fans?

Is it a coincidence that they were all names only mentioned by me so I believe it was a veiled attempt at deriding me and trying to make me look foolish for suggesting them.. If it wasnt I aplogise.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ruled out Yann Kermorgant. Aged 34. That leaves my five with none on the list. I won't be disappointed if we sign none of the list pulled out of a hat at random.
Leeds random list:

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/5-players-who-should-be-on-steve-evans-january-wishlist/?

Liam Bridcutt

Kyle Lafferty

Lewis Grabban

James Wilson

Joao Carlos Teixeira

I think it is a better list, but I would not choose any of them, perhaps?

Lewis Grabban couldn't kick doors at Halloween - It amazed me the amount of goals he scored for Bournemouth and Rotherham. When he was at Palace and Millwall he was hopeless and he obviously hasn't made the step up with Norwich either in the Championship or the Premiership. His level is League 1 football

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is it a coincidence that they were all names only mentioned by me so I believe it was a veiled attempt at deriding me and trying to make me look foolish for suggesting them.. If it wasnt I aplogise.

No they're my picks - I went to school with Jed Wallace's brother and he's a very gifted footballer...

Apology accepted.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Lewis Grabban couldn't kick doors at Halloween - It amazed me the amount of goals he scored for Bournemouth and Rotherham. When he was at Palace and Millwall he was hopeless and he obviously hasn't made the step up with Norwich either in the Championship or the Premiership. His level is League 1 football

Agreed that he seems to have gone off the boil at Norwich, but you don't score an absolute hatful of goals for Bournemouth, and then become a bad player overnight.

I think he can do a more than reasonable job in the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here