Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5 players who should be on Chris Hughton’s January wishlist

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think that Tom Bradshaw of Walsall is worth looking at, perhaps some might say he's a little on the small side but he is quick and gets lots of goals.

Agreed, I suggested this in August. Although I didn't see him as first choice stirker more of a back up for Baldock.

I think for us to be in the postion we are to opt for Bradshaw would be a risk, we need a striker who will make the starting 11 in january.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So were mine, so I don't know how you got him only playing 265 games. He's played more than that in the League alone, 219 starts and 75 sub appearances.

I must have missed the subs appearances and quoted actual starts. I am not saying he is the answer just asking opinions of people who would know more about him. Mike Small didnt do too badly for us as an almost unknown same with Kevin Bremner and of course Peter Ward.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I must have missed the subs appearances and quoted actual starts. I am not saying he is the answer just asking opinions of people who would know more about him. Mike Small didnt do too badly for us as an almost unknown same with Kevin Bremner and of course Peter Ward.

Peter Ward was 20/21 when we signed him. Mike Small although relatively unknown had top flight experience in a host of countries, Kevin Bremner had plenty of experience and had been promoted from the 3rd division with Millwall and Reading before joining us to again win promotion from the 3rd division. You cannot compare their signings to the suggestion we should sign Rueben Reid.

The fact that Reid is 27 and has spent most of his career in League 2 and never been able to score goals above that division doesn't strike me with much confidence. He doesn't fit in with the type of player we are currently being heavily linked with.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Id take either Kermogant or Murray from Bournemouth on loan to give us more options alongside whichever South American we end up signing.
Wilson is too inexperienced to match our situation. Texeira is viable because he knows us but he'd be far from guaranteed to start. The last thing we need is another centre back and the lad from Leicester, while he looked sharp in his first few games, would again be a risk too far if we are already taking a punt on a South American to play in the same position.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Apparently we offered a double deal for Stephens and Kemognant in the January 2014 window but for whatever reason he went Bournemouth and we only got Stephens. So would the club want him now,2n bite at the cherry, although the management and recruitment has changed Think he would score goals but very similar to Hemed in his play and not the 'fox in the box' we need.

Whoever told you that is lying. However i do agree, we should have gone in for both of them. £1.1million for the two would have done it

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Murray on loan until January ???
Left back on loan for 93 days ???

Calleri to sign for 3.5 to 4.5 years in January ???
Another central midfielder to sign in January ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whoever told you that is lying. However i do agree, we should have gone in for both of them. £1.1million for the two would have done it

I was told it by a senior coach at the club that we offered more than you quote. Eventually Stephens came to us for a reputed fee of £650k an Kermognant went to Bournemouth for a reputed £900k

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Murray on loan until January ???
Left back on loan for 93 days ???

Calleri to sign for 3.5 to 4.5 years in January ???
Another central midfielder to sign in January ???

I think it's time to give up on Calleri buddy. There are PL sharks in the vicinity. :nono:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed, I suggested this in August. Although I didn't see him as first choice stirker more of a back up for Baldock.

I think for us to be in the postion we are to opt for Bradshaw would be a risk, we need a striker who will make the starting 11 in january.

Why would Bradshaw want to come here as a back up striker? His club could well end up in the Championship next season, so l'm sure that if he were to move, it would be with a view to him starting games.

storer

Nov 28, 2010
no need for another striker.

sign a decent proven winger so there is not such high pressure put on young Solly's shoulders to perform every week.

we have Zamora, we don't need Kermogant. To similar and I know who I would choose every day of the week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

sign a decent proven winger so there is not such high pressure put on young Solly's shoulders to perform every week.

we have Zamora, we don't need Kermogant. To similar and I know who I would choose every day of the week.

We have the wingers when fit so don need to sign another one plus there is talk of this 18 year old from Dagenham & Redbridge. AS I said I am not saying Reid is the answer just to take look at if you dont look you dont succeed Peterborough seem to have made a lot of money and been succesful with bringing in players from lower league clubs. What we desperately need is a 'fox in the box' goalscorer above any other position.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean

We already have 4 decent wingers in Murphy, Kaz, Manu and March, plus Rosenior plays there too. we don't need any more. Nowadays Kermorgant would definitely be a more effective player to have in the squad than Zamora too, but I'd hope we would aim higher than him. We 100% need another striker though.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why would Bradshaw want to come here as a back up striker? His club could well end up in the Championship next season, so l'm sure that if he were to move, it would be with a view to him starting games.

Read my post again...

I said he would have been a good target in August around the time of signing Manu when we were looking to build on our squad. Neither club were in a position at that point to be looking to next season so a place on our bench and the potential for him to make it into the first 11 may have been appealing.

Now in January he doesnt seem to be the type of player we would want to risk our promotion hopes on and if we were to sign him I would imagine he would have to fight for his place as he would have in January. We as a club need a goalscorer who can come in and bang in goals from the off and as such Bradshaw wouldnt be an option.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We already have 4 decent wingers in Murphy, Kaz, Manu and March, plus Rosenior plays there too. we don't need any more. Nowadays Kermorgant would definitely be a more effective player to have in the squad than Zamora too, but I'd hope we would aim higher than him. We 100% need another striker though.

I cannot see us getting anybody better than Kermognant at the moment. We need one now not in January.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We have the wingers when fit so don need to sign another one plus there is talk of this 18 year old from Dagenham & Redbridge. AS I said I am not saying Reid is the answer just to take look at if you dont look you dont succeed Peterborough seem to have made a lot of money and been succesful with bringing in players from lower league clubs. What we desperately need is a 'fox in the box' goalscorer above any other position.

I understand what you are saying BG, but it may have been worth for Brighton of old when we were playing at Withdean.However our current postion suggests we are in for a fair crack at trying to get promoted this season and as such I am sure we will be trying to buy as close to guarenteed goals as possible. No room for big risks on a player who has never suggested he is any better than league 2 standard.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I understand what you are saying BG, but it may have been worth for Brighton of old when we were playing at Withdean.However our current postion suggests we are in for a fair crack at trying to get promoted this season and as such I am sure we will be trying to buy as close to guarenteed goals as possible. No room for big risks on a player who has never suggested he is any better than league 2 standard.

Callum Wilson went to Bournemouth from Coventry.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully we aren't shopping at Aldi any more.
That doesn't stop many of our fans still thinking with a small club mentality.

TBH I'm pleased we get all these 'lack of imagination' suggestions.
They make me all the more excited about the unknown names that randomly pops up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That doesn't stop many of our fans still thinking with a small club mentality.

TBH I'm pleased we get all these 'lack of imagination' suggestions.
They make me all the more excited about the unknown names that randomly pops up.

We are still a small club trying to get out of The Championship with ambition but to some they have ideas that we are Man Utd or Real Madrid and TB can and will spend money ad lib.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Loving the speculation, but thats all it is, personally i think we are looking to up our recruitment targets, so a striker and attacking midfielder are the only changes for me, with us being surprised at how much we might spend. Slightly concerned no up date on how long Baldock is out, and would like a similar style striker on loan.. or give Manu a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here