Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

48 hours ago Cook was set to sign for Bournmouth for 150k

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why does everyone say we will lose him for free when his age dictates we will be compensated with a fee. Would rather keep him and loan him out, or as others say at least demand a sell on clause as his a hugely promising player.

We'll only get compensation if we offer him a contract equal to whatever Bournemouth are offering and he signs it. I believe he wants to go because he will be guaranteed first team football.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We'll only get compensation if we offer him a contract equal to whatever Bournemouth are offering and he signs it. I believe he wants to go because he will be guaranteed first team football.

I'm sure we can match any offer Bournemouth make, appreciate they have new owners but they only average 5,000 at best.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We wouldn't be the Albion if we didn't give our decent players away for next to nothing. Why change the habit of a lifetime?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm sure we can match any offer Bournemouth make, appreciate they have new owners but they only average 5,000 at best.

I can assure you the Bournemouth offer is pretty good, plus there's the healthy signing on fee too of course. The big clincher is regular 1st team football.

I also believe Poyet to be a man of integrity and has shown before that he will not hold back any promising young talent that wants to progress their career.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can assure you the Bournemouth offer is pretty good, plus there's the healthy signing on fee too of course. The big clincher is regular 1st team football.

I also believe Poyet to be a man of integrity and has shown before that he will not hold back any promising young talent that wants to progress their career.

We don't need to match anyone's offer - that isn't how it works. If we offer him a new deal on his current terms, then we'd be entitled to compensation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

We don't need to match anyone's offer - that isn't how it works. If we offer him a new deal on his current terms, then we'd be entitled to compensation.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Give him a half season loan. We need CB's. I know we have 6, but most of ours are crock or ill disciplined. You never know when we might need someone we know and trust, and he looks real good - why throw him away? Keep him on the books - get some experience at Bournemouth, comes back a better player. Fergie did the same with a certain Wellbeck?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Give him a half season loan. We need CB's. I know we have 6, but most of ours are crock or ill disciplined. You never know when we might need someone we know and trust, and he looks real good - why throw him away? Keep him on the books - get some experience at Bournemouth, comes back a better player. Fergie did the same with a certain Wellbeck?

Do that and we will lose him at the end of the season for minimum compensation - certainly less than we are being offered now. We have nothing to offer him in terms of a new deal that Bournemouth can't beat because they can offer him game time and as a young player that is absolutely key. He can sign for them (or someone else) now for a fee or in the summer for nothing.

Other than next week in the cup he will get very few chances this season unless something truly catastrophic happens. Yes Greer is suspended for two league games but Dunk (let's just assume for now that he stays) Vincelot, el Abd and Calderon (who will be back fit in the next couple of weeks) are ahead of him with Hall also knocking on his heels to "gain experience" sitting on the bench. At best he is sixth choice for one of two positions. Next season Elphick will be back and ahead of him too plus we have young Vickers coming through to challenge. If he goes to Bournemouth he gets a lucrative deal and the chance to be first choice and we get reasonable compensation.

For me it's not "if" it happens but "when" and rightly so.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Looks like he is off , the deal must have been done with a gentleman's handshake before Xmas. TB is a man of his word and wouldn't welsh on a deal.

In the pecking order where would you put Cook? Would you sign a new contract at a club that has barely played you? Or take a transfer into a team you are settled in, playing week in week out? Take £150k + sell on for Cook now rather than lose him for free.

Great player but we are fortunate in that position, and if the player wants to go, then who are we to hold him back.

The key words are in bold. If that, then he's got to be let go and that's that.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Poyet says in the Argus today that they will look at his future but 'the player will not lose out'. I can only assume this means that if we now choose to keep him we will offer him at least the wages and signing on fee that Bournemouth would have given him and also the same length of contract.

Its good to see Poyet talking about him (Cook) being the most important party in those decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here