Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

400 Albion appearances. Arise Sir Kerry of Mayo.

An abiding memory is of him coming down to our end of the Millennium Stadium - and whipping up the support to take us through to a famous victory.

As much a fan as the rest of us.

And many a decent performance, too.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
No doubt that Kerry has been a great servant to the club down the years, but a specific memory of him I have is when we played Derby at Withdean in one of our Championship seasons. It was an awful game, freezing cold and pissing down, deadlocked at 0-0.

In what must have been either the last minute or bloody close to it, Kerry pops up to net the winner and suddenly the rain, cold and dullness of the previous 89 minutes didn't matter in the slightest.

The comment from Steve Coppell after that game in the match report -

He reserved special praise for goalscorer Kerry Mayo, commenting "I wish he had more self-belief and confidence because he is a terrific player."

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The comment from Steve Coppell after that game in the match report -

He reserved special praise for goalscorer Kerry Mayo, commenting "I wish he had more self-belief and confidence because he is a terrific player."

If only Coppell had said "I wish the supporters had more belief and confidence in Mayo because he is a terrific player."

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i am closing in on my 400th appearance for Wisdom Sports.
A far greater ahievement seen as we do well to play 25-30 games a season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is indeed a fine achievement Marshy. You should get a testimonial game against Mile Oak Rangers at Wish Park.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Congratulations Kerry! 400 appearances is a great achievement.

It's amazing to think you've survived all this time throughout all the ups and downs at this football club and its testament to your loyalty and professionalism! A club legend without a doubt imo.

:clap:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
That is indeed a fine achievement Marshy. You should get a testimonial game against Mile Oak Rangers at Wish Park.

More like a bit of extra piss taking from the touchline and a very nice shield, tankard or something similar to mark the occasion.
I am aiming for 500 appearances and a 100 goals before i announce my retirement from football and the international scene...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm coming up to my 400th game as a fan by the way. Currently on 377 to be precise. So, early next season, I expect to see a similar thread to this praising me:clap:

Blimey - how on earth do you know that? I haven't got a clue how many games I've to. Mind you, in 34 years I must be well over the 600 mark by now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Because I'm a sad individual with enough time on his hands to make and update a word document listing every match I've ever been to, with details including date, opposition, score, attendance, stadium, and albion goalscorers. I've even got stats on how many wins, draws, and losses, goals scored, and goals conceded I've seen:blush:

So, as I will be attending 11 of the remaining 13 games this season, taking me to 388, prepare for a thread entitled "The Complete Badger - Albion LEGEND" roughly twelve games into next season:D

Not sure it will have many agreeing with the thread or applauding you though...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think you'll find it will be the moment all my closet fans come out and reveal their admiration for my work. I sincerely hope you'll be leading the rush of congratulations, Uncle Buck:clap2:

While we're on the subject, you seem to go to EVERY away game. Just how many GROUNDS have you now done? I really want to find a 92er.

Of Football League ones I tend to be stuck around the 80-85 mark, mainly due to the 2 up 2 down from the Conference and England now playing all the homes games at Wembley.

If I am allowed non-league ones and ones in Europe (and Japan) I would guess somewhere around the 140 mark.

Just had a look and I am on 77 (or 80 if I am allowed to count visits to Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park, Darlington at Feethams and Shrewsbury at Gay Meadow).

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Impressive. I'm decades away from completing it (in the low-mid 60's at the moment), but for some reason find it really intriguing. Is there actually some sort of club you can join when you've done it? I heard that once you're in, you have to complete every new ground within a year or so in order to stay in?

By the way, what are the grounds it's been longest since we played at? The few people, like yourself, I know of that have done the most (always around 85) seem to say there's some which we just haven't had the chance to do. I'm guessing we've never played at Accrington, Morecambe, MK Dons, and Shrewsbury, plus the odd Premiership one, ie Bolton?

The reason I have done a fair few is mainly the back to back promotions, it meant loads of new grounds over 3 seasons.

We have never played Morcambe or the current incarnation of Accrington in a league game.

I would guess due to those back to back promotions, it is the clubs that never leave the top flight that you need to look at regarding the longest since we played them.

For a while it was QPR, I think before that Boxing Day game in 2001, we had not played them since 1972, so I guess it will now be a side we have not played since 1983.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Could it be CHELSEA? When did we last play them?

Anyway, it's now clear what the club needs to deliver. We need a relegation ASAP, in order to clear up on all the Accrington's/Morecambe's of this world, plus the NEW MEADOW. Then, hit the Premiership with three successive promotions. We could all be 92'ers in a matter of years!

We played Chelsea after 1983 as they were in the second division around that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here