Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Test South Africa v England

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes it's a 200 run lead. What do you think about binning the follow-on, opening with Wood and Buttler and getting some quick runs?

I dont because once you have batted and declared you have played your last card. If they follow on and get a big total it is possible to bat and get a draw so gives us an extra option. I would in 99% case go for the follow on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I love threads like this one – and lots of similar ones that follow live sport. Wind back 24 hours and there was talk of a potential collapse and no hope of ANYTHING out of the game. Now people are already talking up enforcing the follow-on and winning by an innings and xx runs :lol:

I get it, but why put it out there in the first place? Surely those who think like that are only setting themselves up for disappointment if/when it's turns out to be a draw/defeat... :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I love threads like this one – and lots of similar ones that follow live sport. Wind back 24 hours and there was talk of a potential collapse and no hope of ANYTHING out of the game. Now people are already talking up enforcing the follow-on and winning by an innings and xx runs :lol:

I get it, but why put it out there in the first place? Surely those who think like that are only setting themselves up for disappointment if/when it's turns out to be a draw/defeat... :shrug:

One of the appeals of 5-day cricket is there are plenty of different ways to go about getting a result, and so speculating about that is all part of the fun.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the appeals of 5-day cricket is there are plenty of different ways to go about getting a result, and so speculating about that is all part of the fun.
Speculating is fine, but when people say it with such conviction, it makes them (potentially) look a bit silly...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Odd that Wood hasn't opened the batting.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think they're about to give Wood a bowl. I can see him lumbering up in the field.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bess strikes!!!

11.6 Bess to Malan, OUT, now then... England have reviewed for a caught-and-bowled chance. Looked like a bump ball to the naked eye, given not out on the field, but it looks very out! Pretty full, just outside off stump, and chipped gently back to the bowler who takes the easiest catch he could hope for! Malan departs, Bess makes the breakthrough

PJ Malan c & b Bess 18 (49m 32b 2x4 0x6) SR: 56.25

50-1

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
50/1 Bess strikes

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Seems the only way to get wickets on this surface is to bore the batsman and make them play a pansy shot, not entirely sure how the umpire didn’t see that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wood bowling

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You can see why Wood gets injuries he absolutely hurtles in, hopefully we can pick up another one before close.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
South Africa’s Elgar is batting ok. There is a certain pomp to him under these circumstances.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Simply the BESS! :clap2:

17.3 Bess to Zubayr Hamza, OUT, pops off an inside-edge, onto the pad, and Bess has two! Round the wicket, attacking the rough, Hamza closes his face ineffectively as the ball kisses into Pope's hands at short leg, and now South Africa are in bother!

Zubayr Hamza c Pope b Bess 10 (14b 2x4 0x6) SR: 71.42

SA 60-2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here