Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Test South Africa v England

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO we should declare at tea and have the last session to bowl at them as I think that if we could get 3 wickets they would be more value able than perhaps another 50 runs. I know that it s not fashionable to enforce a follow on but I would try to make that happen as it gives usa greater chance of victory.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
IMHO we should declare at tea and have the last session to bowl at them as I think that if we could get 3 wickets they would be more value able than perhaps another 50 runs. I know that it s not fashionable to enforce a follow on but I would try to make that happen as it gives usa greater chance of victory.

With only Wood and Broad to come, the 'shall I declare?' conundrum is not something that is going to tax Root for long.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nas being stupid, Rabada has consistently breached the player code of conduct and deserves the ban

We have all seen a player walk for collecting a second booking for stupidity like kicking a ball away or failing to withdraw 10 yards for a free kick. Rababda was given regular warnings for his behaviour and this cumulative stupidity has cost him. I doubt joss Butler will be gobbing off behind the stump's for a while now.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Dom Bess the spinner who’s partly picked because he can bat as well scores so far of 0,0 & 1

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pope watching it fly away to the boundary

GettyImages-487813624.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

There is plenty of time in this test and the more runs you have on the board the more attacking fields you can set.

Normally, I'm an advocate of an aggressive declaration but in the 1st innings you bat until you're bowled out. Besides, Pope is flying on 110no and the England fans are loving it so why stop now?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is plenty of time in this test and the more runs you have on the board the more attacking fields you can set.

Normally, I'm an advocate of an aggressive declaration but in the 1st innings you bat until you're bowled out. Besides, Pope is flying on 110no and the England fans are loving it so why stop now?

Agree - even if we did want to try to enforce the follow on, declaring with fewer runs isn't the best way of achieving that. Pope, Wood and Broad (LOL) can take plenty of risks now to push the total up towards 500 and we'll still probably have 30-60 mins at them tonight, with the bowlers then having another fresh start tomorrow.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agree - even if we did want to try to enforce the follow on, declaring with fewer runs isn't the best way of achieving that. Pope, Wood and Broad (LOL) can take plenty of risks now to push the total up towards 500 and we'll still probably have 30-60 mins at them tonight, with the bowlers then having another fresh start tomorrow.

This is the easiest time to score runs - get them while they're available.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In 13 balls Mark Wood has scored the same number of runs as Joe Denly did in 100

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's great having Stokes and Pope in the middle order, like watching Botham batting with Ian Bell.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here