Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

32Gb Nexus 7 - £200

So, to my eternal shame, I have supported Google's 'predatory pricing' by purchasing a Nexus 7 32Gb from PC World for £199 (well, in fact, it was £199 + £15 for a case with £20 cashback to be claimed in January, so in effect £194).

I spent some time yesterday installing apps, but have mostly gone for those that I already had on my phone, along with a couple of additional news aggregator style apps (such as Pulse). Does anyone have any suggestions of apps that are particularly useful or well designed/presented for tablets?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So, to my eternal shame, I have supported Google's 'predatory pricing' by purchasing a Nexus 7 32Gb from PC World for £199 (well, in fact, it was £199 + £15 for a case with £20 cashback to be claimed in January, so in effect £194).

I spent some time yesterday installing apps, but have mostly gone for those that I already had on my phone, along with a couple of additional news aggregator style apps (such as Pulse). Does anyone have any suggestions of apps that are particularly useful or well designed/presented for tablets?

Tunein Pro - Excellent radio alarm clock/sleeper
JetAudio Plus - Music player software used on the excellent Cowon MP3 players.
Feedly - Supports more sources than Pulse.
Google Now, Google Plus and Circles.
FixtureBox - BHA fixtures with regular updates for any changes.
Good Beer Guide - So you can keep notes of any top beers you taste or good pubs you visit (note to self there)
BBC Iplayer & TVCatchup - for watching tellybox stuff
Printershare premium - If you have a network/WiFi printer available
Tapatalk - For NSC
Plume - For Twitter

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
New Star Soccer has been updated to work with the latest version of Android and works a charm on the Nexus 7.

Also download the Amazon App Store because they do different deals to the Google Play store and offer a different app each day for free.

I tried Pulse but found it heavily US centric. Google Currents seems to do a better job and looks nice too.

Google's own e-reader is very decent but it's worth getting the Kindle app too, which is obviously free.

Your own newspaper choice may differ but I think the Guardian Anywhere app is fantastic. Schedule it to update each night and the day's paper is ready waiting for you in the morning. It'll also learn what you like and organise the articles you're most likely to want to read.

If you're into podcasts get Podkicker, I've not found a better podcast manager. Although admittedly I still use this on my phone rather than tablet.

Dead Trigger, Shadowgun, Contract Killer and Grand Theft Auto 3 are all great to test the tablet's excellent graphics capabilities.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Tunein Pro - Excellent radio alarm clock/sleeper
JetAudio Plus - Music player software used on the excellent Cowon MP3 players.
Feedly - Supports more sources than Pulse.
Google Now, Google Plus and Circles.
FixtureBox - BHA fixtures with regular updates for any changes.
Good Beer Guide - So you can keep notes of any top beers you taste or good pubs you visit (note to self there)
BBC Iplayer & TVCatchup - for watching tellybox stuff
Printershare premium - If you have a network/WiFi printer available
Tapatalk - For NSC
Plume - For Twitter

Thanks for the suggestions chaps - particularly like the Guardian Anywhere suggestion, as I like the standard Guardian app on my phone but hadn't worked out how to utilise that on my wifi only tablet.

There's obviously some issues with streaming in 4.2 (so called 'Project Butter'), as neither BBC iPlayer nor TVCatchup are compatible with my Nexus 7 apparently.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Thanks for the suggestions chaps - particularly like the Guardian Anywhere suggestion, as I like the standard Guardian app on my phone but hadn't worked out how to utilise that on my wifi only tablet.

There's obviously some issues with streaming in 4.2 (so called 'Project Butter'), as neither BBC iPlayer nor TVCatchup are compatible with my Nexus 7 apparently.

Found this online, don't have one so no idea how accurate this is......

iPlayer updated for Jelly Bean Compatibility! — NXTab.co.uk

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I was gobsmacked to find iPlayer didn't work out of the box but it is easily fixed with a quick Google thankfully.

Also, get yourself a copy of Gmote and you can stream content from computers in your home to your tablet wirelessly. Saves you transferring movies to the device by USB

Found this online, don't have one so no idea how accurate this is......

iPlayer updated for Jelly Bean Compatibility! — NXTab.co.uk

Yes, looks like they made it compatible with 4.1 (Jelly Bean) but some change in 4.2 has rendered it (and seemingly a lot of other video-streaming, non-Flash using apps) broken again. I'm sure the BBC will eventually bring back compatibility.

For the first time now I'm starting to notice some of the issues around the fragmentation of Android - this has never been a problem before because any app that wouldn't run on my phone (Desire HD) didn't show up in searches of the Play store.

I was gobsmacked to find iPlayer didn't work out of the box but it is easily fixed with a quick Google thankfully.

Also, get yourself a copy of Gmote and you can stream content from computers in your home to your tablet wirelessly. Saves you transferring movies to the device by USB

How did you do it? Did you sideload Flash as suggested? Not sure I can really be bothered with that. I have Gmote on my phone, will definitely give it a try.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Both working on 4.2 for me and I don't think I have done anything specific to fix these.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

IPlayer works fine on mine?

Both working on 4.2 for me and I don't think I have done anything specific to fix these.

IPlayer works fine on mine?

How odd - this is what I get in the Play store (from the PC desktop)...

iPlayer.JPG

...and a similar message in a banner at the top of the screen when accessing it direct from my Nexus. It won't even let me attempt to install it. Are you definitely both on 4.2, not 4.1?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
How odd - this is what I get in the Play store (from the PC desktop)...

View attachment 36976

...and a similar message in a banner at the top of the screen when accessing it direct from my Nexus. It won't even let me attempt to install it. Are you definitely both on 4.2, not 4.1?

Funny - you have the same phone as me too. When I signed into my Google account on the nexus it just sent all the apps on my phone to the nexus. Bingo.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Going back a while, one of the Satanic spawn hatefacts about iPhone was that the battery was non replaceable, and there was no SD card slot. I see the Nexus 7 has neither a removable battery nor a memory card slot. Is there a reason for this? I thought a key benefit of not having an Apple product was that you could swap out battereis and use memory cards for storage.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Memory cards seem to be getting less and less popular sadly.

The suggestion is that companies like Google want everyone to use cloud storage rather than hot swappable local storage. Of course this is all very well in principle but if you're not connected to a fast network you're f***ed.

I don't know of any tablets with removable batteries however. It is commonly accepted that there is less to go wrong if there's no part of a device's casing that's user-removable and 9 times out of 10 this makes for a better design experience.

Speaking from personal experience my HTC handset with removable battery is looking a bit flimsy these days (it's just coming up for two years old) compared with my unibody Nokia Lumia handset which is both beautiful AND solid.

gullty

Oct 24, 2003
Edge of the World

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
How to use? Both files seem the same. Why does it want to install on computer? Where did you download from?

Go and download from your device. It will recognise that they're android software repositories. Install and hey presto. I found them on an Android developers forum and it works perfectly for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here