Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 30539?!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes ... ok ... attendance figures aren't the biggest or most important issue in football at the moment!! But ... I'm with those that would like to know how many actually attended. Maybe it's a tradition thing for me ...

Maybe you have Attendance Deficit Disorder?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I would like to add that is probably the amount sold before the ticket exchange kicks in. I know the club only get a small percentage of revenue of tickets sold this way but I wonder how many this would add to the number of tickets sold? 30,539 + 2- 300?

None.

Because the original tickets were refunded in order to be sold again.

:wink:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Forget it it's how many tickets were sold simple has to be for tax vat reasons the club have to declare tickets sold irrespective of how many turned up for financial reason

Then that is absolutely fine; I have no problem with that. It's Barber's lack of understanding of the English language that irks. "Attendance" is "being present at a place or event". If he insists on announcing "tickets sold" then that's fine but don't announce it as "attendance" as many who had bought tickets clearly didn't show up on Saturday.

So is it because he wants to make it look like more supporters have turned up than actually have to make us look billy bollox or is it because he hasn't got a dictionary? You decide!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Of all the things to get upset about :shrug:

I dont think anyone gets upset about it.

Its another thing that has gone from the game I love (ed) As a kid scanning the paper looking at all the goal scores comparing crowd sizes and goal scorers (There was little else to do Sunday morning in the 70s !)

TBH its the second thing I look at...even in the Bostik leagues

Anyway got to rush off I have some train plate numbers to collect :)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
For some of us sad muppets I do look at the attendance figures of all teams as I read the results in all 4 divisions and if I get the non league paper I look at them to. I don’t know why but I find it interesting??

with you on this. Something that stuck with me from childhood.

Anywhere can do this online easily ? BBC then lineups only place seem to find it easily

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It would be strange if we were the only club in the Premier League to announce the actual number of people who go to the game.

To me, the issue here is more about why aren’t people using the ticket resale site. Though clearly Saturday there were very specific reasons, (ie people made a late decision because of horrendous weather). More generally, we sell out most games yet we’re always a good percentage short of actually filling the ground up. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that STH’s are deciding not to go but not issuing their tickets for resale. Odd behaviour, which I can only explain as the Arsenal effect. Ie they only get the ST for the big games and are wealthy enough not to bother re-selling them, or just making the decision a few hours before as to whether they are going to go or not.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Then that is absolutely fine; I have no problem with that. It's Barber's lack of understanding of the English language that irks. "Attendance" is "being present at a place or event". If he insists on announcing "tickets sold" then that's fine but don't announce it as "attendance" as many who had bought tickets clearly didn't show up on Saturday.

So is it because he wants to make it look like more supporters have turned up than actually have to make us look billy bollox or is it because he hasn't got a dictionary? You decide!

Wow, congrats! Worst NSC post of 2019 - against some pretty fierce opposition.

Announcing 'tickets sold' as 'attendance' is standard policy for Premier League clubs - and most lower league clubs now follow suit.

It's nothing to do with Barber, personally.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
It would be strange if we were the only club in the Premier League to announce the actual number of people who go to the game.

To me, the issue here is more about why aren’t people using the ticket resale site. Though clearly Saturday there were very specific reasons, (ie people made a late decision because of horrendous weather). More generally, we sell out most games yet we’re always a good percentage short of actually filling the ground up. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that STH’s are deciding not to go but not issuing their tickets for resale. Odd behaviour, which I can only explain as the Arsenal effect. Ie they only get the ST for the big games and are wealthy enough not to bother re-selling them, or just making the decision a few hours before as to whether they are going to go or not.

That has always been my take on it, a number of the empties being wealthy people who aren’t particularly committed to BHA, but get some ‘washed out’ pleasure from watching the big clubs, or knowing they have the option to at least, if they’re not off playing a round of golf that day. Could be wrong of course.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
with you on this. Something that stuck with me from childhood.

Anywhere can do this online easily ? BBC then lineups only place seem to find it easily

The days of getting a Sunday paper and pouring down the scores and, almost as importantly, the attendances, something the Internet has sadly taken away

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That has always been my take on it, a number of the empties being wealthy people who aren’t particularly committed to BHA, but get some ‘washed out’ pleasure from watching the big clubs, or knowing they have the option to at least, if they’re not off playing a round of golf that day. Could be wrong of course.

Agreed.......also think the DD option, which means the cost of going to a game is spread out and equates to about a tenner a week, makes it less of a perceived issue if you miss the odd game I suppose. Saturday was more driven by the appalling weather though - obviously more STHs would have decided not to come, and not very many non-STHs without tickets would have made a late decision to come along.

I know a few guys in the city that have STs at more than one London club just so they can get a ‘home’ game most weekends. We also have a ton of supporters that have, or had, a ‘first club’ - this will change over time assuming we stay where we are though.......

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

The frustrating things about this is that my young lad, who is basically 4th gen, dyed in the wool Albion (because of my spectacular effort of brain washing and indoctrination since day dot) can’t get a ST, as can’t 8000 others. It’s not like he can’t get to any games, but I can’t help thinking that the club, long term will be better off when the flakey middle class Liverpool and Spurs fans with popcorn bugger off. We might get a better atmosphere as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do the club actually know the number of people who attend?

I thought that they'd had some sort of record but I missed the Fulham game last season and, for the first time at the Amex, couldn't give my ticket to a friend. However, a couple of days later I still got the regular email from the club thanking me for attending the game so as far as the Albion were concerned a ticket sold = being there.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Crikey 10 pages on this, loads didn't get to the game Saturday because of the weather it was bloody carnage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here