Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2nd Test Match South Africa v England

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If the remaining batsmen can revert back to their 1 day mode and knock off a quick 120 by just after lunch that should be enough to win.

Could happen if Stokes and Buttler go for it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
5d8b3b849336aa1cb8222f289bafdfcb.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It must be depressing to be in this position with Stokes going mad knowing Pope, Buttler and Curran are all to come

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stokes has been cutting loose this morning... 53 from 36 balls (5 fours, 2 sixes) :clap2:

England 289-4, leading by 335

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well done to Stokes this morning and well done to Sibley for a sensible innings when needed. Could be looking at a mid afternoon declaration to get them in for a few overs before tea, Another 50 runs should be sufficient.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If the remaining batsmen can revert back to their 1 day mode and knock off a quick 120 by just after lunch that should be enough to win.

That’s an understatement. We could’ve declared this morning and had enough of a lead to win.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’d declare at lunch. I don’t see there being much to gain staying out there. We’d also lose 2 overs if we declare during play rather than at an interval.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, Day 4

England 375-7, leading by 421

Sibley 125* Curran 13*

27 overs in the session, 3 wickets and 157 runs.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’d declare at lunch. I don’t see there being much to gain staying out there. We’d also lose 2 overs if we declare during play rather than at an interval.

Advantage of declaring before lunch would’ve been the chance for the strike bowlers to get 2-3 overs in each at new batsmen before putting their feet up for 45 mins then having another go at batsmen that have to play themselves in again.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Advantage of declaring before lunch would’ve been the chance for the strike bowlers to get 2-3 overs in each at new batsmen before putting their feet up for 45 mins then having another go at batsmen that have to play themselves in again.

The only trouble with that is that you have to forfeit 4 overs to bowl 2 at them.

A calculated gamble but with two proper batsman still in the extra 20 odd runs could be handy and allow us to keep catchers in for longer if South Africa make a positive start to their chase.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only trouble with that is that you have to forfeit 4 overs to bowl 2 at them.

A calculated gamble but with two proper batsman still in the extra 20 odd runs could be handy and allow us to keep catchers in for longer if South Africa make a positive start to their chase.

Yep, bat for an hour after lunch if possible, then have 50 mins at then before tea.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yep, bat for an hour after lunch if possible, then have 50 mins at then before tea.

I’d definitely pull out now but the modern way is to be conservative with declarations. Results like Headingley are occurring more frequently with chases now often beginning on day 3 rather than 4 and very few top class spinners.

That being said the South African batting line up is no great shakes and 420+ should be well beyond them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here