• Calling it for Trump

Votes: 78 30.2%
  • Calling it for Biden

Votes: 180 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This is starting to look like genius from the Pennyslvania officials, whether deliberate or not.

They're making a huge show of carefully assessing and counting every single vote, no matter how long that takes. This is both demonstrating the validity of the process and also boring everyone to death as the process is strung out day after day. While the result is now an inevitability there is as yet still no 'moment' to celebrate or cause things to kick off.

This is taking the sting out of it. Trump is losing support as everyone senses what is coming and begins to pivot away from him, and the gun toting rednecks are slowing going numb from a combination of cold and boredom. By the time the result is confirmed I suspect there will be very little appetite or energy for violent protests.

Maybe.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would be interested now if, as a nation a million miles away across the pond, whether the majority of the learned and sage US politics congoscenti of NSC believe it healthy should Joey get a blue Senate in January, or if it goes red?

Nobody likes BoJo having a free rein, would they be happy if pro EU Biden had a similar ability to ride roughshod when we are after a deal or two on chlorinated chicken?

Well, I'll skirt around your question. America is in decline, as is the UK and the rest of Europe, and all have been for a while (Europe -- including the UK -- longer than the US). This is unspoken and, if anyone mentions it, they will be jumped on for 'talking the country down'. Yet it explains Trump, as sure as it explains Brexit.
One reason why the US is in decline is it continues to fetishise its constitution. Witness the 'originalist' new member of the Supreme Court. Its constitution is horrendously outdated (ditto with the UK), and it produces originalist effects, none more so than the Senate. It's a body that's there merely to prevent change. Look at how it is comprised.

That's the more substantial point but to answer your question directly (and I say this not as a learned and sage cognoscenti of US politics -- although I am paid to write about politics), a blue Senate would be a good thing because it would enable desperately needed legislation to get through, rather than simply to prevent this from happening, which has been McConnell's MO under Obama. I know you're claiming that this would be a bad thing, but I'll only accept that you really think that different Senates to Presidencies/House of Represenatives is such an important principle if you can find a post that you offered back in late 2016 when the House, Senate and Presidency all turned red.
I think the comparison you draw from the UK is a poor one FWIW.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ta.

It is not great, but the only comparison that might enable some to comment.

To expand on it, I'm not really sure the Lords will prevent a Brexit deal on the basis of chlorinated chicken. Any Brexit deal will contain a myriad of issues (thereby downgrading the issue of chlorinated chicken), and I suspect the Lords will pass it, but that's only a suspicion. Also, do you really think the Lords is stuffed full of Labour peers, and -- to return to a previous point made -- were you calling for a change in the composition of the Lords on the back of (yet another) Tory majority in 2019?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
This is starting to look like genius from the Pennyslvania officials, whether deliberate or not.

They're making a huge show of carefully assessing and counting every single vote, no matter how long that takes. This is both demonstrating the validity of the process and also boring everyone to death as the process is strung out day after day. While the result is now an inevitability there is as yet still no 'moment' to celebrate or cause things to kick off.

This is taking the sting out of it. Trump is losing support as everyone senses what is coming and begins to pivot away from him, and the gun toting rednecks are slowing going numb from a combination of cold and boredom. By the time the result is confirmed I suspect there will be very little appetite or energy for violent protests.

Maybe.

My thoughts also, slowly slowly the initial anger and disbelief seems to be relenting and with minimal antagonism from the eventual probable winners seems to be having a calming effect on the whole process. Maybe just maybe the adults from both sides are acting like the grownups they are and a unity will prevail? here's hoping anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My thoughts also, slowly slowly the initial anger and disbelief seems to be relenting and with minimal antagonism from the eventual probable winners seems to be having a calming effect on the whole process. Maybe just maybe the adults from both sides are acting like the grownups they are and a unity will prevail? here's hoping anyway.

Biden has looked far more " Presidential " in his statements on voting day and since. He's saying all the right things about unity and working together across all of the US and, by doing this, Makes trump look ever more like yesterday's man with every day that passes.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
McConnell says there will definitely be a peaceful transfer of power if Biden wins.

Seems to me like the Trumptanic has hit the iceberg and everyone is now starting to leg it to the lifeboats. Celine Dion will probably be along soon.

Oh my lord, every day this Trump nightmare gets worse.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
He should have said this before Tuesday

[tweet]1324887827868508162[/tweet]

#TeamTrump.

This guy is a ****ing lunatic. He gets paid handsomely to come out with this kind of shit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Jeez I am so ****ing bored with CNN now, just call Pennsylvania you dicks so I can go back to living my life

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Biden has looked far more " Presidential " in his statements on voting day and since. He's saying all the right things about unity and working together across all of the US and, by doing this, Makes trump look ever more like yesterday's man with every day that passes.

My garden shed has looked much more presidential, than Trump

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Would it surprise if Biden’s have been in talks with the more sensible senior republicans around how to safely and securely transfer power and how Trump can be sidelined. Last race it held pissed of them as much as he has the democrats. You reap what you sow ...

Fox News now seem accepting that Biden will win as do the other Murdoch rags. At the end of the day Murdoch needs to protect his businesses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Jeez I am so ****ing bored with CNN now, just call Pennsylvania you dicks so I can go back to living my life

They've have been saying the same thing more or less for three days and nights straight. They are hanging in and still managing to be impressively slick, but beginning to look a bit frazzled and wild behind the eyes now.

#prayfortheCNNanchors

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It is dull now but you have to admire their stamina bearing in mind what they're working with. Can't understand why it takes so long to count votes. They must have so many layers of checks and verification in place!!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It is dull now but you have to admire their stamina bearing in mind what they're working with. Can't understand why it takes so long to count votes. They must have so many layers of checks and verification in place!!

From what I can gather this is normal, the last few thousand votes always take a long time, as they are the complicated ones that get put aside for various reasons (might be damaged in some way, or part of a group that were sent out and recalled etc) and have to be checked and verified by hand, cross checked to avoid duplications etc and can't just be run through a machine. In most places this last part of the process is irrelevant, the results will be called way before you get to these votes. In California for instance they won't actually finish counting for weeks, but they knew who had won within hours.

Either that or it's MASSIVE FRAUD

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

I doubt their viewership has ever been so high so why would they do that? As you say as soon as PA is called we're all going to switch the TV off and stumble outside bleary eyed, if we were allowed outside that is.

Maybe if someone could let them know they've got until 1925 GMT to call it otherwise they run the risk of clashing with Strictly and we can't have that

D

Deleted member 2719

Minimum wage. Working through the night. Observers peering over your shoulder. Fate of the Presidency in your hands.

Would you be rushing it?

I don't see the point in dragging your heels.

I will leave that to all the leftie workers.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What Trump has generated, only partially intended, is reminder that everyone should vote, not fail to bother. He has done this by being a dick but it worked.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't see the point in dragging your heels.

I will leave that to all the leftie workers.

And here, ladies and gents, is our MASSIVE FRAUD. Quite clearly, everyone counting these votes is a lefty. It's a wonder Biden hasn't already won by 200%. They must be very good at keeping it just above suspicion. I expect it was worked out with the Rothschilds months ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here