Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Black Mamba

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oct 25, 2003
Crocodile
american-crocodile_219_600x450.jpg

The Story So Far........this perennial underachiever and former finalist came into this tournament with a big reputation and was one of the pre-tournament favourites. He got the job done in the first round, gaining 21 votes (20.59%) to finish first in a tough Group A. Went into the second round with high hopes, despite a potential banana skin in a face off with the Tiger. He won fairly easily, however, as this prehistoric behemoth came out victorious with a 37-27 victory. A close encounter in the quarter-finals against the Grizzly Bear was predicted and it didn't disappoint. Level for much of the encounter, a late surge saw the Croc come out with a 34-28 win

Total Votes So Far: 92

vs

Hippo
1235996583229.jpg

The Story So Far....The 2010 champion disappointed last year in its title defence and will want to right those wrongs. Coming 2nd in Group D will go a long way to prove its doubters wrong, the former champ gained 20 votes (22.47%) and was never in trouble. Was up against the enigmatic Colossal Squid in the second round and many predicted another disappointing year for the Hippo, however he came out with an easy 34-14 win. Went into the quarter finals with a tricky looking tie against the Black Mamba. Hippo led for much of the encounter only for a dramatic last minute come back from his slithering foe result in a 26-26 draw, with both progressing. Can he right the wrongs of 2011?

Total Votes So Far: 80

vs

Black Mamba
black-mamba_767_600x450.jpg

The Story So Far........Came into 2012 as the only snake qualifier and after impressing in qualifying was fancied to make a real impression on this tournament. He didn't disappoint, winning the notoriously tight Group C with 16 votes (20%). Was pitted against a very strong competitor in the Rhino, and in a closely fought battle, eventually came out victorious, winning 28-22. Some pundits have said that beating the Rhino is the perfect appetiser for taking on the Hippo. Went into that encounter with the Hippo and performed excellently. Few pundits gave it a chance against the former Champion but a late surge resulted in a dramatic 26-26 draw, with both coming through. Can he survive this menage a trois of pain?

Total Votes So Far: 70

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We're very much at the business end of the tournament now with some real heavyweights left in. The croc's a two times finalist and is in its fifth consecutive semi final, whilst the Hippo is a former champion. The black mamba is the surprise package of the competition so far having the best season for a snake in the history of the WHC.

I'm obviously going for the croc but I expect a tight battle.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Incredibly tight to call, this one.

You've got the croc, with 600m years of tradition on it's side, owner of watering holes all over tropical Earth, pretty much without enemies and has it's own copyrighted method of killing.
The hippo - the heavy weights of the porcine world, and possibly the most fearsome beast (to humans) on it's continent.
And the black mamba - almost as dangerous as hippos but incredibly aggressive and capable of killing anything. Scatters buffalo and bites things on the head. Yes, THE HEAD.

"Just popping out to bite someone"
"Where? on the leg?"
"Nope, the head"
"THE HEAD? That's miles up. Are you sure?"
"Yes"

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Interesting to see your comments about disabling a croc with an elastic band on that 2008 thread Turienzo, especially after you complained it wasn't an argument yesterday :smile:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Incredibly tight to call, this one.

You've got the croc, with 600m years of tradition on it's side, owner of watering holes all over tropical Earth, pretty much without enemies and has it's own copyrighted method of killing.
The hippo - the heavy weights of the porcine world, and possibly the most fearsome beast (to humans) on it's continent.
And the black mamba - almost as dangerous as hippos but incredibly aggressive and capable of killing anything. Scatters buffalo and bites things on the head. Yes, THE HEAD.

"Just popping out to bite someone"
"Where? on the leg?"
"Nope, the head"
"THE HEAD? That's miles up. Are you sure?"
"Yes"

I've been impressed with the black mamba this year. It's been a breakout season for it. However I don't think it's got enough to beat the croc which has a ridiculously impressive list of attributes, both defensive and offensive. The croc is natures own elite S.A.S. I think the hippo could find itself in real trouble here and this could be its last hurrah as a serious player.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
It doesn't appear that the 2008 poll was closed either!

TL - may be an idea to close it as it could lead to Hardest Creature history re-writing itself, or another "Hook winning Uncle Spielberg's Poll" moment.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Another interesting fact from the 2008 thread:

From Crocworld:

Do crocodiles attack hippos?

No. Crocodiles are scared of fully-grown hippos and give them a wide berth. Baby hippos are occasionally killed.

This really is a tough decision though, all worthy contenders

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Lets be honest, the crocodile is a shambles, dry humped by eccentric Australians, defeated by elastic bands, I'm not surprised it spends most of it's time pretending to be a LOG, just out of EMBARASSMENT.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It doesn't appear that the 2008 poll was closed either!

TL - may be an idea to close it as it could lead to Hardest Creature history re-writing itself, or another "Hook winning Uncle Spielberg's Poll" moment.

you're right...the polar bear had 63 votes when I found the poll a few minutes ago! Although it'd take a massive swing for the croc to nick the title in that one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lets be honest, the crocodile is a shambles, dry humped by eccentric Australians, defeated by elastic bands, I'm not surprised it spends most of it's time pretending to be a LOG, just out of EMBARASSMENT.

Sums up why the Croc has done well to get this far.

And the Hippo when running looks absolutely hilarious, like a fat woman in the January sales.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I want to go snake as it is just nuts and its just one large muscle so its got to be hard, but the croc looks nasty and has been around for millions of years. Tough call

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here