Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010 Election,why are Labour closing the gap ?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As a percentage of GDP National Debt fell from 49.48% in 1973 to 43.61% in 1979. The private sector then as now was heavily subsidised by the public purse and Labour were alienating their core support then as now meaning that the unions were responding to cuts in real living standards.

how was the private sector subsidised? Do you mean crap nationalised industries?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
A lot of wishfull thinking in this thread. The latest issue of the Economist magazine, although now in the grip of the gooey left ponders why a government would run up debt during a boom?

Polls always underestimate tory support as there supporters tend to be working hard while the slobs that vote themselves other peoples money are handy by the phone.

Classically simplistic but probably true and very funny

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Now there's a surprise!

There appear to be some young people on here who apparently know what its like to live as an adult under the Tories.

But for one second lets look at some facts, prior to the last Tory government Labour had near bankrupt this country, sounds familiar,
the national debt was huge, sounds familiar,
the unions were holding the country to ransom, sounds familiar,
the waste in the NHS was immense, sounds familiar,
the private sector was propping up the over whelming public sector, sounds familiar.

Forget the recent past of banks causing the problem, Brown has systematically over spent and over borrowed since Labour returned. Yes the country had the feel good factor but again we as people over borrowed. The never never has now become the here here and we'll be paying for it for the rest of our days.

I'm not saying the Tories will do any better and that's largely due to not having a stronger enough leader. We need a hard hitting no nonsense government that will face up to the debt and quickly. If that hurts joe public for a few years well tough most of the problems were brought on by ourselves and this useless shits of a government.

Did you not read the post that said "I can't vote, my support is superficial. Its purely ideological"?

I havn't a clue what it was like living under tories to be honest. All i know is that their ideology's are not what i believe in.
I know f*** all about the economy. Self admititly, i'm 16 - its not going to happen. I know f*** all about how the NHS runs etc etc. WHen it comes to my time to vote, i'll have lived for a few years as an adult under what is looking likely to be a conservative government.

Its also interesting to see my "Shitty little man" comment has been taken in the light it was said - ranting and deliberatly OTT by all but you. I dislike the torys. My reasoning for that though isn't really because they are shitty. But it does help :thumbsup:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
better than the nightmare world that will be bought by a tory Government,reality is that they will line their pockets like always but must admit some of Labour are just as bad.

it sickens me to hear shameron talking about the NHS if he and the last tory mess had their way there would be no NHS
shabby as it is our NHS,Army,police force, and many other things of the like have been kept going fairly well by Labour.

Oh sorry I forgot about the railways (selling off by the tories) best not mention that though
Someone else a little divorced from reality.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree we weren't as prepared as we could have been but bear in mind that the tories cut defence spending when they were last in power! How prepared would we have been then?
The tories didnt take us into the iraq war did they ? the end of the cold war and the resulting ' peace dividend' was the reason defence spending was cut as you should know , your alice in wonderland type posts in support of labour , suggest you dont.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Good question -

As the Tories have started shedding skins and stepping in shit more often recently the old British trait of supporting the devil you do know is starting to kick in..... (e.g. how one earth major survived in 92 was purely on this trait alone. You could even argue Blairs survival in the last election too!) This just goes to porve that the UK needs a competitive third party... if the UK public will allow it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The tories didnt take us into the iraq war did they?

Yes they did. The Tory party, with few honourable exceptions (Ken Clarke for one) voted for the Iraq war. If the Tories had voted en masse, there were probably enough Labour rebels to have defeated the vote.

Labour and Conservatives are equally guilty on that one.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes they did. The Tory party, with few honourable exceptions (Ken Clarke for one) voted for the Iraq war. If the Tories had voted en masse, there were probably enough Labour rebels to have defeated the vote.

Yes and no. Both guilty yes - equally gulity no. The MPs that voted for war did so based on the lies of the Labour cabinet.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

clutching at straws at best, typical labour manipulation of the truth at worst, westdene seagull sums it up rather succinctly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
clutching at straws at best, typical labour manipulation of the truth at worst, westdene seagull sums it up rather succinctly.

You don't understand the nature of parliament. Governments don't take us to war - parliaments do. If parliament wanted to reject the wishes of the Labour cabinet, it could have done so.

Plenty of MPs of all parties saw through the manipulation by the Labour cabinet and their friends in the media. It's not much of an endorsement of Cameron and his allies to suggest that they're not capable of original thinking and will blindly follow what they're told.

I'm firmly anti-Labour but the Tory behaviour over the Iraq war ensured that I won't vote for them either.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You don't understand the nature of parliament. Governments don't take us to war - parliaments do. If parliament wanted to reject the wishes of the Labour cabinet, it could have done so.

Plenty of MPs of all parties saw through the manipulation by the Labour cabinet and their friends in the media. It's not much of an endorsement of Cameron and his allies to suggest that they're not capable of original thinking and will blindly follow what they're told.

I'm firmly anti-Labour but the Tory behaviour over the Iraq war ensured that I won't vote for them either.
Please dont patronise me by telling me what i do and dont understand, i know perfectly well how parliament works.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes and no. Both guilty yes - equally gulity no. The MPs that voted for war did so based on the lies of the Labour cabinet.

Im sorry that is categorically not true and shows a fundamental ignorance of the british parliamentary system. We do not live in a police state where the only people who know the truth is the governing party. The opposotion have their own lines of communication independent of the governement. They also have access in most cases through commitees or though their own civil service contacts.

The ugly truth is that the whole parliamentary system was responsible for our entry into the Iraq war. No one can escape the blame.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Please dont patronise me by telling me what i do and dont understand, i know perfectly well how parliament works.

I my experience the only voice you listen to is the one in your head.. so explanation is wasted.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Im sorry that is categorically not true and shows a fundamental ignorance of the british parliamentary system. We do not live in a police state where the only people who know the truth is the governing party. The opposotion have their own lines of communication independent of the governement. They also have access in most cases through commitees or though their own civil service contacts.

The ugly truth is that the whole parliamentary system was responsible for our entry into the Iraq war. No one can escape the blame.
I'm sorry but you have a fundamental ignorance of sexed up dossiers , Alastair Campbell, John Scarlett and exaggerations about WMDs.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Absolute rubbish. The security services created a misleading, even false, dossier on WMDs at the request of the Government. You seriously think opposition MPs of all parties wouldn't have highlighted this if they'd known about it ? Strange how the person who could have disproved the dossier killed himself ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here