Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2009/2010 season ticket prices - what will the club do?

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
How about season tickets in the east stand made cheaper to try and fill that up? always empty and seems wasted whilst we cant fill it but fot the big teams when the plastic fans come back

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There's a letter in this month's 442 from a Charlton fan, who has a whinge about them being shit etc, in the last sentence he says that at least if they go down season ticket's will be cheaper, £240 is unjustifiable! :lol:

I can understand why people are cynical about it, the freeze/spin does sound painfully familiar. But surely after this dismal season, and the current economic circumstances they will have to do more? Unless a new manager comes in, goes on a good run, and then the renewal letter comes through yer letterbox.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
i think next season could be a disaster. combination of withdean fatigue, recession, terrible season of terrible football, and the increasingly strong anti-knight sentiment could lead to huge numbers big not renewing STs. the club survives on that big cash injection every year. ironically, one reason why wilkins was removed was the club worrying about ST sales for this season thinking adams back would create a buzz.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Perhaps the club will go bankrupt before next season. Hell, what will the massed whingers of NSC do then ?

so what would you do?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
ironically, one reason why wilkins was removed was the club worrying about ST sales for this season thinking adams back would create a buzz.

and Ken Brown was brought in to................??

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
How about season tickets in the east stand made cheaper to try and fill that up? always empty and seems wasted whilst we cant fill it but fot the big teams when the plastic fans come back

If it were me I would close the East stand altogether. and the silly little Block V as well. Firstly it would save on stewarding costs, but I also worry about te matchday experience for the occasional fan in the East stand. I'd be much happier having fans who need to be persuaded to come to Withdean more regularly in a full South Stand, which has a little more atmosphere than the East graveyard, and a much better view.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The club should be offering a deal to existing season ticket holders NOW along the lines of other League 1 clubs.

Give them a massive reduction and get them to stump up now - cos if we go down you can bet your bottom dollar an awful lot will think twice about renewing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pardon me for being moronic... but when I was at school 23 x 15 was £345... and this was a thread about season ticket prices.

If you are suggesting that a one off ticket should be £15, then the season ticket would need to be £250 to be attractive... costing the club hundreds of thousands of pounds on ST revenue.

Sorry it just doesn't add up.

Apologies, misread your post as comparing a single ticket price of £345 per game. I am also not advocating a price of £15. If we were at the top and in the mix for Play-offs then most people on here would not be whinging about the prices. I am not complaining about the prices as I accept the circumstances the club are in. Yes, the entertainment is crap but if it weren't, the prices would still be the same.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There never seems to be much emphasis on trying to attract new Season Ticket holders, just to retain existing ones. OK, it would be an uphill struggle at the moment, but assuming we do manage to overcome the might of Luton, maybe the club could try something bold like offering a free JPT Wembley ticket with every season ticket application processed before the final. And two free tickets to existing and new 2 year STHs. It's an offer that would pay for itself IMHO.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I just can't see myself renewing at a price that's north of £400. If they are looking at "freezing" the prices, then it needs to come with more than just a free Cup ticket. 50% off your 1st ST at Falmer may just tempt me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I just can't see myself renewing at a price that's north of £400. If they are looking at "freezing" the prices, then it needs to come with more than just a free Cup ticket. 50% off your 1st ST at Falmer may just tempt me.

if they give everyone a credit card thing at Falmer which means you swipe your card and get billed when you go to a match, what is the point in buying a ST at Falmer?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Firstly, setting ticket prices can't possibly be based on how well the team is going to play. When prices are set, no-one knows that. Our tickets guarantee us 90 minutes of football, not good football or winning football. You take your choice - if you don't like what you are seeing, don't go. And if you bought a ST, you knew there were no guarantees.

Secondly, the club will set the price based on it's running costs and what they think they can charge and the fans will pay. It is their gamble that if we get poor football, some will not go.

However having set what they consider to be reasonable price based on all factors, they can also gamble and reduce prices dramatically if they feel that this will make up for dwindling numbers due to the poor football. The problem with that is there is no guarantee that this will increase numbers sufficiently to make up for the loss of revenue.

There must be a price point at which, even if it meant the ground was full for every game, it would still be financial suicide.

I would rather watch the Albion playing poorly than never be able to watch them again.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The club will continue to charge us more than almost every other football league club while showing little or no regard for the season ticket holders OR people who buy tickets on a less regular basis.

Our fans are taken for granted.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think Dick Knight, Martin Perry or Micky Adams should between them personally ring up everyone who doesn't renew their season ticket this Summer or didn't renew for this season and 1) ask them why they didn't renew, 2) explain what their plans are for the coming season how important our support is and 3) offer them some sort of financial incentive to renew.

Yes it would take them some time, but it's by no means unfeasible. It would certainly demonstrate how much a supporter meant to them.

Ever tried cancelling a mobile phone contract? They will fight tooth and nail to keep you and offer you all sorts of discounts. The club should take a leaf out of their book and try harder to keep existing fans.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The club will continue to charge us more than almost every other football league club while showing little or no regard for the season ticket holders OR people who buy tickets on a less regular basis.

Our fans are taken for granted.

What is your solution?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What is your solution?

Well, we are told the funding for Falmer is in place of lined up. Falmer has now been agreed so I would say our future is pretty secure. Certainly not as precarious as the seasons when there was the possibility Falmer would get turned down. We are also told the funding is not dependant on ticket revenue.

We have to start looking at how we are going to fill Falmer and take into account the increasingly poor performances on the pitch and the economic climate.

I would suggest dropping season ticket prices significantly, whether we go down or not. Encourage NEW season ticket holders and don't just rely on existing ones.

This might mean a season or two of less than perfect finances but we are being told the club is building for the future. A bit less money coming in now in return for twice as many people at Falmer and HAPPY to pay more expensive prices is surely worth it.

The other option is lose more fans, go down, lose even more fans and then have a brand spanking new stadium with nobody paying to sit in it.

I don't see either option being financially brilliant for the club. But to me, risking losing more fans is far more dangerous to the long-term future of this club than short term loss of income.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here