Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£1million pound loss question

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
Richie. The question was not just buying any old striker or player, it was a question of getting the right one. Another player, would not have magically guaranteed us survival. Do you not read the notes that McGhee and DK produce, in the programme. They tried and failed in many cases. Players not wanting to come etc.
I wish more people would read their notes, perhaps a fanzine could print them as well, so noone misses them.

Making excuses for their own failings... and you making excuses for them now... laughable, IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
I think it may have been the ground and lack of money. All the targets we wanted ended up playing in front of 20 odd thousand people a week. Unless our manager could make our ground 13 thousand bigger and then fill the seats anyone of championship quality was unlikely to come here.

Two words... utter bollox... other managers, e.g. Coppell, have brought in quality players in identical circumstances... MM and DK failed our club in Jan...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Rangdo said:
Firstly why would you want to risk killing the club off completely by taking a gamble on a player who might keep us up and even if they did still might bankrupt us?
Secondly who in the hell is going to give us the money for someone of the standard we would require to keep us inthe division? Certainly no bank is going to loan it to us.
Thirdly why does Richie have to capitalise at least one word in every sentence? Is your keyboard broken or do you have a nervous twitch in the little finger of your left hand?

Firstly, there was no need to invest an amount significant enough to bankrupt the club... the chances are that a reasonable investment in a loan striker would have been sufficient to keep us up... secondly, do you not think the club's bank (or other investor) would consider the loss of TV and other money due to almost certain relegation without the investment?... in short, and as I said in Jan, DK and MM should be ashamed for their short-sighted lack of investment at that time...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Theatre of Trees said:
Speculation does not alway lead to accumulation it can often lead to loss and debt too. Whatever way you think the need for the club to operate within its financial parameters until Falmer affors the oppotuinity to start spending more is paramount. We do not have the necessary collateral to compete with even the Plymouths and Hulls of this world. The one direction where we are speculating is at youth level, discover a few gems and sell them to help the club finances.

In fact if anything Turienzo was a speculate to accumulate purchase and many on here are bemoaning it as a waste of time and money.

... but Turienzo has been a waste of money and, to be honest, so was the GNW deal... too fcuking late... the point is that the club needed to invest wisely in Jan, and failed to do so... huge mistake...

Theatre of Trees said:
In fact if anything Turienzo was a speculate to accumulate purchase and many on here are bemoaning it as a waste of time and money.
That's a very interesting point.

A useful discussion is whether we should be taking these kind of chances at the lower end of the transfer market.

Dick Knight described it in a pre-season fans forum as a gamble we could afford to take, which indicates to me that whatever sum we did shell out on him as a transfer fee, his wages were probably not crippling.

Dabbling in these lower reaches of the foreign market will always be risky. Malongo and El Turi (so far) have been flops, but Carole and Frutos are qualified successes.

I think it is hard to draw general lessons on that other than the need to invent a 20-20 Hindsight Time Machine, the likes of which Des Irae appeared to be calling for when he mentioned we should have picked up Freddie Eastwood three years ago :D

B.W. said:
Two words... utter bollox... other managers, e.g. Coppell, have brought in quality players in identical circumstances... MM and DK failed our club in Jan...
What Championship standard striker did Coppell manage to bring in? Remind me again?

Richie Morris said:
McGhee also has a BIGGER Withdean to tempt people with...
:lol:

Stinky Kat said:
didnt you rate Barret then?
I think that was Hinsh not Coppell, but to answer your question, I think subsequent history has shown he was not Championship standard goalscorer, even though as a Paddy I fervently hoped he was. GNW already has more goals I think :drink:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
What Championship standard striker did Coppell manage to bring in? Remind me again?

Did I say striker?... no I didn't... you should take some time to remove your head from MM's ar$e then make a balanced comment, reflecting his oh too obvious failings in the transfer market, supported by the short-sighted DK and his equally vision-lacking board...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
B.W. said:
Did I say striker?... no I didn't... you should take some time to remove your head from MM's ar$e then make a balanced comment, reflecting his oh too obvious failings in the transfer market, supported by the short-sighted DK and his equally vision-lacking board...

and those shit stay away "ooh Withdean is boring" fans as well :lolol:

Last edited:

B.W. said:

Well, that's certainly equal-opportunities finger-pointing there, everyone cops it although disappointing to see Andy Naylor and the forkless North Stand caterers get off so lightly :)

The reason why I mentioned striker is that was what was clearly missing from our squad, would have been nice to have had Zamora this time round you must agree.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can't be bothered to read all of this thread because I said about these TV losses some months ago and was laughed at. I was told that we could not afford to take the chance on 1 person keeping us up irrespective of whether the cost was high or not and that whatever it cost it could mean us going broke.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
B.W. said:
... but Turienzo has been a waste of money and, to be honest, so was the GNW deal... too fcuking late... the point is that the club needed to invest wisely in Jan, and failed to do so... huge mistake...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, we could have done this, should have done that, until we know the exact ins and out and here from the respective horses mouths then we are always going to speculate in what the club should have done. At the end of the day we don't know the exact truth, whether our targets were unrealistic or whether they really did not want to come. For the record Coppell used to talk about having the same problems of attracting players and ended up taking on crocks (Roger, Blackwell and Roberts had all been long term injured and either released from their previous clubs or being released) or youngsters.

It's gone, it may or may not have worked, our investment in an experienced forward may have ended in a couple of matches due to a horrendous tackle. Until we get a stadium we are never going to compete on a level playing field in the Championship, even against the likes of Hull, Plymouth and Luton. It's no surprise that the three clubs with the least amount of financial clout went down. The bookies had us as favourites to go down at the beginning of the season and unfortunately there were no bigger clubs like Forest in freefall to take advantage of.

At the end of the day I want the club to exist and if they have to be fiscally conservative to ensure long term operation at the expense of throwing money at a quick fix then I'll always support the former.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Richie Morris said:
Why, when the loss in TV revenue alone after relegation will be over half a million did we not SPECULATE to accumilate and buy a STRIKER?

Some of us told the stupid fucks that six months ago. Wasn't rocket science.

And, as an aside. if that 'major investor' who is throwing his weight around at the moment was a genuine Albion fan as opposed to a chancer, he'd have made some money available in January when it was needed to secure the services of a proper striker.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
B.W. said:

....and under Coppell we were relegated, so they cannot be as good quality as you think.

Sidwell buggered off immediately that Reading came looking for him.

As for the other 'quality' players, who are you referring to? Ingmarsson is reasonable, but not as good as McShane. Blackwell and Rogers were crocks who no other clubs would look at.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Morris, when will you learn? We knew we would lose £1 million by playing in this division. As for speculating to accumulate, the directors have pumped in all the money they have.

What we had we spent on Turienzo, so McGhee f***ed up. Thereafter, you either box clever and get a Kevin Doyle for peanuts or you do what we did (albeit too late) and bring in a loan. Again, McGhee failed on both counts.

The problem was not that we didn't spunk £200K of money we didn't have on a striker but that McGhee didn't get the best out of the resources he did have available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here