Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£1million pound loss question

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
The Watford chairman was on the radio this moprning talking about players wages. He said in the CCC the average wage is £175K per annum - I doubt any of ours get that. The only ones who do i would guess would be McGhee and Perry and they cant put it in the onion bag!

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Strange parallel here with Nottingham Forest surely?

Both in League One, well below where each of us rightly belong.

Forest have been taken to the verge of bankcruptcy but they have cleared all their debt unlike their neighbours Derby & Leicester who are tens of millions in the red.

Although I am not a financial or accountancy expert making a trading loss of £1m is probably pretty sound financial management as it eliminates if not significantly reduces the club's tax bill & unfortunately players wages too.

The issue IMO is therefore not around the ability or competency of the manager but the boards financial plans & what money it releases for players if any.

I know it has been said before on this board, but could there been sound reason's financially why the club would be better off in the long term remaining for several seasons in League One.

Discuss.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Firstly why would you want to risk killing the club off completely by taking a gamble on a player who might keep us up and even if they did still might bankrupt us?
Secondly who in the hell is going to give us the money for someone of the standard we would require to keep us inthe division? Certainly no bank is going to loan it to us.
Thirdly why does Richie have to capitalise at least one word in every sentence? Is your keyboard broken or do you have a nervous twitch in the little finger of your left hand?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
DJ Leon said:
It's called 'a difference of opinion'. It happens. Get over it.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ritchie, if MM does get the sack I think you will be back asking the same questions and demanding the sacking of the next incumbent within a year. Reality check...this club is going to struggle until Falmer is built and no one man is going to turn it round on the field and sustain quality football in the Championship or maybe even League 1 before then. Just imo like

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Where do you think you belong?

the premiership obviously..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Richie has a point.
Why in the past could we attract players, no problem, but now we can't? IMO the board gambled on going down as the least worst option and gates + a reduced wage bill compensating in part to the loss of Sky money. Speculate to accumulate would have been a better option IMO, but I suppose it's different if you've ploughed hard eaned thousands or even millions into the club.

Richie Morris said:
Why, when the loss in TV revenue alone after relegation will be over half a million did we not SPECULATE to accumilate and buy a STRIKER?
I think we were prepared to pay out the money we could afford, for example we paid out well over the odds for GNW's loan deal and wages. But we couldn't afford the kind of money that would have led us to beat the likes of Sheff Wed in the race for Marcus Tudgay, for example. Spending that kind of money on a long contract would have been a gamble and we could have been left with unsustainable losses leading to administration, rather than our current (hopefully) sustainable losses.

A reduction in income of possibly £1m is a blow but we can reduce our costs in League 1 to cushion that blow. None of this is rocket science, it's exactly what we would have done 3 years ago when we got relegated.

(A little birdie tells me that you have finally joined the NUJ, congrats on that! :) There are lots of free courses/training you can apply for as an NUJ member, although not sure, alas, business accounting is one of them :D )

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeah got my forms through this week.

First copy of JOURNALIST mag has two letters about Falmer in it responding to a letter from my old teacher at City College.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Re: Re: £1million pound loss question

London Irish said:
A little birdie tells me that you have finally joined the NUJ, congrats on that! :) There are lots of free courses/training you can apply for as an NUJ member

More importantly - cheap iPods. :thumbsup:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Speculation does not alway lead to accumulation it can often lead to loss and debt too. Whatever way you think the need for the club to operate within its financial parameters until Falmer affors the oppotuinity to start spending more is paramount. We do not have the necessary collateral to compete with even the Plymouths and Hulls of this world. The one direction where we are speculating is at youth level, discover a few gems and sell them to help the club finances.

In fact if anything Turienzo was a speculate to accumulate purchase and many on here are bemoaning it as a waste of time and money.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Re: Re: Re: Re: £1million pound loss question

Richie Morris said:

Can they send me on a course to stop me capping up RANDOM words?

Thats what HAPPENS if you move to HASTINGS

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: £1million pound loss question

The Auditor said:
Thats what HAPPENS if you move to HASTINGS

and you will probably become a junkie.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: £1million pound loss question

n1 gull said:
and you will probably become a junkie.

without doubt, everybody here is a junkie

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Commander said:
I'm not so sure. If we'd have signed a reasonable striker in January, I think he would have saved us. We were creating chances, we just couldn't take them.

Spot on... the lack of action by our board and MM to get in the player we so obviously needed was UNFORGIVABLE... :angry: :angry: :censored: :censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here