Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I just think it's going to be a very sad day when large portions of albion crowds are there for the day out rather than supporting a team.

I can see what you are saying to a certain extent however at some point the club has to attract enough fans to fill a 22,500 seater stadium.

This is a very unique situation where the club can for once sell something far more exciting than that "shit Withdean experience" available over the last 10 years or so.

I cannot believe people would pay all that money to join the 1901 club just for a day out.......

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's a good point actually. What are you actually paying for? You still have to buy your food and drink, so it's effectively £90 a month (or £1,080 a year) to sit in the middle tier. You can't tell me that it's worth paying more than twice as much simply to sit at the best height. The top of the bottom tier, the bottom of the top tier and the east stand will all be just as good in my opinion.

I expect it to take a good year or so before the club get this right and I fully expect also my first season ticket position will not be the one I end up with - all trial and error. For instance we all thought we wanted to be in the main stand however as the middle tier is the 1901 club I shall probably start off in the stand opposite the main one.

The best positives so far I can think of is the club has out sourced this task of filling the stadium as quite rightly they recognise this is the key to success therefore would have struggled with the current staff on board.

I suspect many other things will change for the good at Falmer at well, watch this space as exciting times ahead.

Oh and nice to see we can agree on some things :thumbsup:

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That's a good point actually. What are you actually paying for? You still have to buy your food and drink, so it's effectively £90 a month (or £1,080 a year) to sit in the middle tier. You can't tell me that it's worth paying more than twice as much simply to sit at the best height. The top of the bottom tier, the bottom of the top tier and the east stand will all be just as good in my opinion.

That's exactly the reason I shelled out, for the position of my seat. Front row middle tier just to the left of the half way line. I'm not a rich guy by any stretch and have forgone a couple of years holidays just for my seat licence. :cry:

I get your point about other positions, but there will be mad scrambles and I was just in a fortunate position to shell out. After 5 years I may move!

ps, I am very unlikely to be able to afford to dine in the restaurant!!

pps.. the monthly fee includes a programme for each home match.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Will I be able to bring my own prawn sandwiches in the cheap seats?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Are you a season ticket holder currently? If you're not then ignore what I'm about to say. If you are, please tell me why you've done it. You say it gives you a good position but is it really any better than the areas just in front and behind the middle tier? Is it really any better than sitting on the half-way line on the other side of the pitch? You also say there will be a mad scramble, but if you're a current STH then there won't be. There are 4,000 of us at the moment who will be able to choose our Falmer seat first. Some of those will already have splashed out on the premium stuff. So there may only be 3,000 picking seats, with about 18,000 to choose from. Even if the ENTIRE Withdean crowd chooses to position themselves in the west stand, there will still be more than enough room to get close to the middle! You sound like you're similar to me, not at all well off but with enough to pay up for the debenture. I just don't see the point in at all unless you're going to also pay through the nose for their food and drink pre-match. If you're not going to do that, why bother?

I am a current STH, you make a good case.

I made my decision when I discovered that the entire middle tier would be given over to the '1901' club. I was quite adamant where I wanted to be positioned and when at the presentation I saw that a seat was available in virtually my ideal viewing spot I bought into it.

Yes, the debenture was expensive (life rather than the 5 year option for me).

Yes the monthly figure is very high in comparison to what we pay at Withdean. (Although the monthly fee won't be increased if we get to the Championship or better in the 5 years, didn't say what would happen if we fell into League 2 though!!)

It's a five year commitment and one that will mean I shall have to cut down on my away games, purely through cost. But hey, who wants to go to inferior grounds anyway. :lol:

So, in a nutshell, yes it's bloody expensive, but to me a treat!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'll be honest, I would never get one of those gold or platinum seats on principle. I can afford it but I just know that it will be made up predominantly of those types of fans who currently sit in the North Stand at Withdean. The thought of spending years watching the Albion with people tutting behind me when I curse the ref or join in with the chants about Dean Hammond/Scott McGleish/whoever fills me with dread.

You're welcome to your parking space, cushioned seats and private bar. Me - I'll be swearing like a navvie and eating crap burgers and chips with all the others in the cheap seats.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am a current STH, you make a good case.

I made my decision when I discovered that the entire middle tier would be given over to the '1901' club. I was quite adamant where I wanted to be positioned and when at the presentation I saw that a seat was available in virtually my ideal viewing spot I bought into it.

Yes, the debenture was expensive (life rather than the 5 year option for me).

Yes the monthly figure is very high in comparison to what we pay at Withdean. (Although the monthly fee won't be increased if we get to the Championship or better in the 5 years, didn't say what would happen if we fell into League 2 though!!)

It's a five year commitment and one that will mean I shall have to cut down on my away games, purely through cost. But hey, who wants to go to inferior grounds anyway. :lol:

So, in a nutshell, yes it's bloody expensive, but to me a treat!

Exactly why I have gone for it, plus it is a chance to give something back to my dad. He wouldn't be able to afford a STH in a great position so by buying a seat for him as well I am treating him, me and my son.

Also he is not exactly young and the parking space will be very helpful.

But the clincher was bizarrely I was worrying about getting a good spot at Falmer. Yes I know, very daft but true. Whenever I looked at the drawings etc I pictured myself in the middle tier. I hoped this would be achievable through the normal STH route but alas I have had to shell out more to get it, but for the sake of five years brilliant viewing I thought it was worth it. AND as others have said I am sure the £1k could be retrieved by selling it on as and when the Albion hit the heights of the Premiership.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'll be honest, I would never get one of those gold or platinum seats on principle. I can afford it but I just know that it will be made up predominantly of those types of fans who currently sit in the North Stand at Withdean. The thought of spending years watching the Albion with people tutting behind me when I curse the ref or join in with the chants about Dean Hammond/Scott McGleish/whoever fills me with dread.

You're welcome to your parking space, cushioned seats and private bar. Me - I'll be swearing like a navvie and eating crap burgers and chips with all the others in the cheap seats.

I will be swearing cursing and cheering from the middle tier don't you worry about that.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Not bothered about the 1901 club. I might, for the first time ever, buy a season ticket though. As long as I can get a pint and a snack before the game, i'm happy, even if that means the Swan at Falmer.

braveheart

Jul 26, 2004
can someone confirm re: the 1901 tickets. I understand that you buy your seat for a set period of time including for life via the 500/£1,000, but i assume this only remains your seat if you keep up with the monthly payments?like a mortgage.
if you choose to no longer pay or can't due to a change in financial circumstances, do you just lose it and it goes back to the club's ownership? Obvoulsy if we are in the Premiership there may be a market for them and you may make a profit, but other than this if they are not all sold and so there is no demand for yours will you just end out of pocket?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
can someone confirm re: the 1901 tickets. I understand that you buy your seat for a set period of time including for life via the 500/£1,000, but i assume this only remains your seat if you keep up with the monthly payments?like a mortgage.
if you choose to no longer pay or can't due to a change in financial circumstances, do you just lose it and it goes back to the club's ownership? Obvoulsy if we are in the Premiership there may be a market for them and you may make a profit, but other than this if they are not all sold and so there is no demand for yours will you just end out of pocket?

From what I understand, if you can no longer afford to go, then you can sell your seat 'licence' privately. I think I was also told that you could ask the club to sell it for you and you would get the proceeds when that transaction had been completed. We haven't had the legal papers to sign yet, so don't take what I said as the official line. :)

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think no matter where you buy your seat if you work out the cost per matchday including travel, food and program it is expensive.

Some people I suspect think that because the ground will hold more fans it will become cheaper - it won't and if we move up the league expect home and away to get even more expensive.

Apart from the actual cost of the seat to have it every week its not much more to be in the platinum bit especially if you add in the parking and the free program and tea/coffee we have at the withdean at the moment if they still do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here