Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Sadly money talks no matter what. On the flip side these big games rarely happen and away support is usually a very small average over a season therefore should not be a major issue.

but these are games that we all want be at, to say we were there. The games that stck in the memory unlike the thousands of other games that are soon forgotten.

That is why sth's should get equal priority. The decision on priority for 1901 over your rank and file sth's is completely and utterly misguided

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Apart from the actual cost of the seat to have it every week its not much more to be in the platinum bit especially if you add in the parking and the free program and tea/coffee we have at the withdean at the moment if they still do it.

One point that few on here have mentioned so far is whether you see the GBP 1,000 as an 'investment' that will at least hold or increase in value, or as a sunken cost that you will never recover - and that in turn pretty much depends on the fortunes of the club and future demand for 1901 Club membership.

If you take the Hull / KC Stadium model, I understand the people who bought into their equivalent of 1901 Club at the time the stadium opened have benefited from fixed prices over the last 8 years (while season ticket prices have gone up significantly) AND have seen the value of their up front investment multiply by 4-5 times.

So the sense in buying into 1901 Club very much depends on the level of optimism you have in the club's short / medium term playing prospects.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One point that few on here have mentioned so far is whether you see the GBP 1,000 as an 'investment' that will at least hold or increase in value, or as a sunken cost that you will never recover - and that in turn pretty much depends on the fortunes of the club and future demand for 1901 Club membership.

If you take the Hull / KC Stadium model, I understand the people who bought into their equivalent of 1901 Club at the time the stadium opened have benefited from fixed prices over the last 8 years (while season ticket prices have gone up significantly) AND have seen the value of their up front investment multiply by 4-5 times.

So the sense in buying into 1901 Club very much depends on the level of optimism you have in the club's short / medium term playing prospects.

So taking the hull fc into account, when in the next few months, they go into administration, which is being muted, what happens to their 1901 club memebrs, do they get their £1000 back or are they one of the 1p in the pound creditors and they have to buy their tickets again?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
So taking the hull fc into account, when in the next few months, they go into administration, which is being muted, what happens to their 1901 club memebrs, do they get their £1000 back or are they one of the 1p in the pound creditors and they have to buy their tickets again?

That will depend on who the "debentures" are held with ....with Falmer you have "Stadium Ltd" and "Football Club Ltd" I believe ....so as long as the stadium exists your debenture has "market value" what ever that might be

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace

Swansea "debentures" have shown similiar growth ...despite the view of some on here most of the large "corporates" arent yet members of the 1901 club and may well want to be ..this will drive the price up if you see it purely as an investment

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Some people I suspect think that because the ground will hold more fans it will become cheaper - it won't and if we move up the league expect home and away to get even more expensive.

this is one point people seem to be missing ...Falmer is not going to be cheap / cheaper than Withdean...and the 1901 club does give you a fixed price for 5 years regardless of what division we are in...

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
but these are games that we all want be at, to say we were there. The games that stck in the memory unlike the thousands of other games that are soon forgotten.

That is why sth's should get equal priority. The decision on priority for 1901 over your rank and file sth's is completely and utterly misguided

I don't get your point.

1901 members are Sth's its just they have bought the right to have the same seat for either 5 or life years in advance. In effect they have bought or at least said they will buy the cup and other games now. I would say that makes them more rank and file than others that choose the games they go to.

Other sth's will get the same priority to get tickets in their seats when and if the games come up.

The people that do lose out are the ones that can't afford to commit to a ST at any level but hopefully the capacity of Falmer will help them save for the games the glory hunters come out for. You know the ones that have always been an albion supporter but you ONLY see them at Man City, palace etc

This isn't an uberfan contest its just about supporting the club.

Last edited:

You obviously missed it but no-one is sure if this IS the case. It made for a good binfest but all I (and others it seems) was told was that you get priority for A list away games. Whether this is the same or above other STH, I don't think anyone has clarified. But what it has cleared up is that people have to be ready for Johnny come lately's to get AT LEAST equal priority with people who buy equivalent tickets.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People need to calm down. This binfest has skewed both sides of the argument, everyone is talking shit. I hate all this one person deserves a ticket more than another person bollocks.

You need to ask yourself why you follow the club. Is it because you want a badge of honour for being biggest fan?

Or is is because you enjoy watching a game of football and travelling the country with your mates, taking over some dive in east london, getting pissed on the train and having a laugh. If you miss a big game just go to the next one, it's just as much fun. Why does anyone expect some sort of reward for going to a football match?

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
You obviously missed it but no-one is sure if this IS the case. It made for a good binfest but all I (and others it seems) was told was that you get priority for A list away games. Whether this is the same or above other STH, I don't think anyone has clarified. But what it has cleared up is that people have to be ready for Johnny come lately's to get AT LEAST equal priority with people who buy equivalent tickets.

if that's the case i'll get down off my soap box. It needs clarifying by the club to sth's and in good time before the policy is tested by an big away day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can we clarify this idea that 1901 club members are corporate punters seeking a bit of glory and some tasty sandwiches and drinks, with no interest in football that they won't bother to watch until 15 mins into the game? I gather most are lapsed season ticket holders of old and current season ticket holders?

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
Can we clarify this idea that 1901 club members are corporate punters seeking a bit of glory and some tasty sandwiches and drinks, with no interest in football that they won't bother to watch until 15 mins into the game? I gather most are lapsed season ticket holders of old and current season ticket holders?
Why are you bothered what the coporates do? So what if they watch very little of the game. If they are not watching the match then they are spending money surely?

Platinum may be like this as the marketing people proudly tell you that you can eat your meal whilst watching the game. But I don't think there is any real sit down dining for Gold - just bars and buffet style food in the main. But I really don't know why so many people get so hung up over less than 10% of the capacity. At Withdean, corporates take their seats late and the amount of people that miss the last 5 minutes of the first half to queue for a manky burger or return 5 minutes into the second half like NSC's hero Peter Canning is rather large. The upshot is that a few hundred of the 1901 club will probably be there for the football as a second priority. The bulk will be there for the football as the main priority and the club as a whole will have an insignificant effect on the perceived "atmosphere".

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why are you bothered what the coporates do? So what if they watch very little of the game. If they are not watching the match then they are spending money surely?

Did anyone hear that Whoosh noise? ???

I'll be honest, I would never get one of those gold or platinum seats on principle. I can afford it but I just know that it will be made up predominantly of those types of fans who currently sit in the North Stand at Withdean. The thought of spending years watching the Albion with people tutting behind me when I curse the ref or join in with the chants about Dean Hammond/Scott McGleish/whoever fills me with dread.

You're welcome to your parking space, cushioned seats and private bar. Me - I'll be swearing like a navvie and eating crap burgers and chips with all the others in the cheap seats.
Spot on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here