Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club - T&Cs

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I received my 1901 Club paperwork this morning and, dress-code debate aside, feel slightly disappointed with a few of the terms and conditions.

I thought the £1,000 up front was worth membership for the life of the stadium. In fact it turns out to be 50 years, so there comes a point where membership has no residual value.

Also, it turns out that the monthly fee is not a straight forward direct debit, but basically an interest-free loan, repayable on a monthly basis over 5 years.

Not a deal-breaker on either count, but are there any other 1901ers out there who feel that these terms are slightly different from what was initially sold in the presentations?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I expect its set up as an interest-free loan so you can't just decide to cancel the d/d if you no longer wish to attend. You've signed up for 5 years at thats the END of it.

Doesn't really make any difference though does it ? Just means you're chipping away at an interest-free balance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Did 1901 members sign up blind or was there a contract to sign when you paid your money, if there was a contract there should have been t&c as well

Re: the 50 years - that is presumable what the life of the stadium is

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i was there last March and they said these things

its 50 years because after that period usually the stadium will be outdated and we will move on to a new ground, god knows what it will be in 50 years! but yeh thats basically why, so no real big deal...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Agree totally.

I wasn't informed that it was going to be a credit agreement. Although I was aware of a 5yr contract that was going to be sent out to be signed, but as you say on a direct debit basis.

I was informed that the life membership was for the lifetime of the stadium. (125 years was quoted)

Goal posts have been moved since the presentation.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
i was there last March and they said these things

its 50 years because after that period usually the stadium will be outdated and we will move on to a new ground, god knows what it will be in 50 years! but yeh thats basically why, so no real big deal...

Back to Withdean for 2 years then (in 2061), while they demolish the Amex and re-build it to Champions League specifications :clap:

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
I thought the stadium had a lifetime of 125 years.

when i was there they said about 50 years then it becomes outdated really, it probably could last 125 years but clippedgull is right, need to get it ready for champo league :D

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I've not read ANY of this yet, may have to when I get home. Does that mean I have to stay a member for at least 5 years if I sign up? I thought the lifetime option meant there was no term, aside from the 125 years (now 50!).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As long as there's 4 stands, a roof and a pitch there in 50 years, what else could we possibly need ? You look at some of the ramshackle hunks of crap around the lower leagues which have been the same for 60-70 years and yes, THOSE have become outdated. But as long as the Amex is kept fully maintained, it'll carry on in its present form (probably expanded) a hundred years+, easy.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
does it matter? honestly? you want to be at the Amex in 125 years time when everyone else would have moved on? accept a new stadium in 50 years with open arms, you wont be around in 125 years so who cares?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
when i was there they said about 50 years then it becomes outdated really, it probably could last 125 years but clippedgull is right, need to get it ready for champo league :D

Don't think it'll take 50 years to look outdated, or indeed to fall apart.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I expect its set up as an interest-free loan so you can't just decide to cancel the d/d if you no longer wish to attend. You've signed up for 5 years at thats the END of it.

Doesn't really make any difference though does it ? Just means you're chipping away at an interest-free balance.

Does it also mean the Albion in effect get the wedge up front rather than colelcting it over 5 years. So not only are you committed without the option of changing your mind and cancelling the d/d (which is fair enough) the Albion get £1000 x 5 years x 3000 1901 Club members up front. £15m in year one - Very handy!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Most of us will be dead in 50 years, all of us will be dead in 125 years, what a pointless argument!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't think it'll take 50 years to look outdated, or indeed to fall apart.

???

You sure.

If its properly maintained it won't fall apart. And as long as its doing the job, who cares if it "looks" dated in 50 years, its not a fashion statement. I don't need to be in a ground resembling a spacecraft to enjoy watching the Albion. All I want is a seat and a roof. And thats not going to change at the Amex in 50 or a hundred years (I figure I've got 35-40 years left in me).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Does it also mean the Albion in effect get the wedge up front rather than colelcting it over 5 years. So not only are you committed without the option of changing your mind and cancelling the d/d (which is fair enough) the Albion get £1000 x 5 years x 3000 1901 Club members up front. £15m in year one - Very handy!

Very handy indeed. Gus will have a veritable WARCHEST to bring in some top quality soccerists for us to watch.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003

How would they get it up front? The credit agreement is with BHAFC. It commits us to 60 interest free instalments. At least we know how much the season ticket is going to be for the next five years (VAT rate, excepted)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a feeling that the 50 year thing is a legal point of note, could it be that nothing under the law [of this nature] can be given more than a 50 year lifetime?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here