Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club priority for away/cup games

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its a tough one really, if I was a 1901 member, I'd want top priority for away tickets too. However I will be a season ticket, meaning there could be games I will have to miss on, but again, if we have 10k season ticket holders, most games will be over subscribed anyway.

The fairest way, should probably be a points system so as the season goes on, the more loyal are at the top, but I understand this probably can't happen now.

However, the club have made their decision and there is not alot we can do, they are not going to change their mind to however many 1901 members there now are, after they've just put in tens of thousands of pounds into the club straight away and committed to a continuous cash flow for the next 5+ years.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How do you suggest priority should work then? A ballot of anyone who wants a ticket?

A loyalty points system as operated by England fans. Easy to do at Falmer with the card system. This would effectively mean STH's have the same priority as 1901 club members. It would also mean others going to away games would build up points for priority.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
On the plus side though can you see many 1901 members travelling away??

Personally i dont think they will

They may not personally but will they get hold of the tickets to be sold/passed onto people of their choosing who may not be fans

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
A loyalty points system as operated by England fans. Easy to do at Falmer with the card system. This would effectively mean STH's have the same priority as 1901 club members. It would also mean others going to away games would build up points for priority.
Exactly, other clubs do this, Southampton for one - it's just the fairest and best way.

essex seagull

Nov 2, 2008
essex
It does seem unfair that supporters who make the trip to places like Carlisle ,Hartlepool etc might not be able to get a ticket for a game such as Southampton. i realise money talks regarding 1901 & sth ,but surely the club could make sure the die hard travelling fans are able to get tickets for the "BIG" away games.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It also has an impact on Albion fans living up north who travel to away games which are considered a "home" game for them because of the travelling distance. They will lose out because at present for big away games in the Midlands and up north they are in with a chance of getting a ticket by being a white member but they will have no chance in future.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Reading through this thread, it's clear that this has been a bit of a PR disaster for the club. To give 1901 members priority for all away games is out of order in my opinion. You can certainly guarantee that for the big away games, the majority if not all the tickets will go to 1901 members. So where does this leave the rest of us who loyally supported the club through the Gillingham and Withdean years????

The club badly needs to come out and make a statement about this.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Reading through this thread, it's clear that this has been a bit of a PR disaster for the club. To give 1901 members priority for all away games is out of order in my opinion. You can certainly guarantee that for the big away games, the majority if not all the tickets will go to 1901 members. So where does this leave the rest of us who loyally supported the club through the Gillingham and Withdean years????

The club badly needs to come out and make a statement about this.

Totally agree with you here.

I have posted on 'Ask the club' voicing my anger at this as has another individual. Hopefully this and the numerous threads on the matter will push the club into re-thinking there strategy.

I do understand that money talks but to give 1901 members higher priority then 'normal' season ticket holders on away games is a step too far for most and bang out of order.

They should be on a level playing field with STH's or alternatively away games should be ticketed using a points system based on how many away games attended.

I predominantly only travel to away games however im planning on purchasing a season ticket at Falmer despite the fact that i wont be able to make half of the games due to work. My logic being that away games as of next season will frequently sell out umongst season ticket holders. The days of blue and white members getting tickets and pay on the gate will soon be over. However with the club going down the avenue of 1901 taking precedence the financial outlay of a season ticket might not even be enough.

Enjoy this season lads and lasses! Without trying to sound like a prophet of doom this could be the last one for a while where you get to travel and see whichever games you so desire.

Brighton and Hove Albion has officially gone corporate.

These f***ing johnny come latelys are going to deprive real loyal supporters of seeing there team and thats whats pissed me off.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I predominantly only travel to away games however im planning on purchasing a season ticket at Falmer despite the fact that i wont be able to make half of the games due to work.

Hundreds are in the same boat. Totally understand why you're doing that, too, but my worry is that, unless the club allows ticket swapping / selling back to the club when ST holders can't attend, we'll be left with thousands of gaps and thousands of frustrated supporters who can't get a ticket.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
We need to set up an AFC Brighton and Hove Albion for the regular fans who dont want the prawn sarnie brigade!!

Good idea!, perhaps we could play our home games at an athletics track somewhere in the city.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Asssuming this is true, it is a disgrace in my opinion. The club seem to be saying thanks for your support at Withdean but we don't really need you now. We have new rich fans who, even though they haven't watched the club for years, should get priority for big games. It just seems extremely unfair to loyal fans who have stuck by the Albion, both home and away, during the Gillingham and Withdean years.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Disagree Woz (if that was a serious comment) - some have yes. I for one was fuming on my 1901 presentation when it was said that the 'ruffian fans' would be in the North Stand and they will be 'happy with a few beers and pies catering wise' when compared to the corporate catering. Those 'ruffians' are the ones who kept this club running throught the gloomy years.

I didn't recognise any faces on the tour and it seemed to be business people who weren't current fans.

So who actually came out with said 'ruffian fans' bollox? They ought to be immediately demoted to Withdean bog-cleaning duties. Well done Albion: Brilliant PR. :nono:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Will it be like Wemberley, when all those good seats empty before half-time and stay empty until about 60mins, until all the prawn-themed goodies have been snaffled up back in the corporate area?

'Ruffian'? That'll do me, I'll see the rest of you ASBO-touting, pie-eating pikey bastards standing up in the North Stand next season:thumbsup:

Will it be like Wemberley, when all those good seats empty before half-time and stay empty until about 60mins, until all the prawn-themed goodies have been snaffled up back in the corporate area?

'Ruffian'? That'll do me, I'll see the rest of you ASBO-touting, pie-eating pikey bastards standing up in the North Stand next season:thumbsup:

I HOPE to join you there! Question is, how many of us are there thinking the same? More than the 2000 odd seats/spaces I bet... :(

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Hundreds are in the same boat. Totally understand why you're doing that, too, but my worry is that, unless the club allows ticket swapping / selling back to the club when ST holders can't attend, we'll be left with thousands of gaps and thousands of frustrated supporters who can't get a ticket.

Well my plan was to leave me season ticket with a mate who would sell those particular tickets for the games i couldnt make. The introduction of the smartcard has obviously made this more difficult.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Well my plan was to leave me season ticket with a mate who would sell those particular tickets for the games i couldnt make. The introduction of the smartcard has obviously made this more difficult.

That's the problem. As far as I'm aware, you may be able to transfer your 'seat' back to the club to sell. Other than that, it's posting your smartcard to said friend to use - trusting you get it back!!!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That's the problem. As far as I'm aware, you may be able to transfer your 'seat' back to the club to sell. Other than that, it's posting your smartcard to said friend to use - trusting you get it back!!!

Don't hold me to this, but I understand this is how its going to work.

If you can't get to a game as a STH you can contact the club who will electronically transfer your seat to the other Smart Card holder (non-STH).

Your card will be invalid for the game in question.

I think a 'fee' was mentioned for the admin side of things.

If the other person does not have a smart card then a paper ticket will be issued and from the details of the non smart card holder, they will automatically be sent a smart card for future use.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Don't hold me to this, but I understand this is how its going to work.

If you can't get to a game as a STH you can contact the club who will electronically transfer your seat to the other Smart Card holder (non-STH).

Your card will be invalid for the game in question.

I think a 'fee' was mentioned for the admin side of things.

If the other person does not have a smart card then a paper ticket will be issued and from the details of the non smart card holder, they will automatically be sent a smart card for future use.

Fine by me, if that is the case. Cheers :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here