Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club and football shirts

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The bottom line of all of this is that whether or not the club notified people beforehand. (which they did PARTIALLY), you should be able to wear whatever the hell you like.

No one would dress offensively and enforcing a dress code is silly considering the amount of people in there who are just regular football fans. I'd dress smartly most of the time anyway, but on occasions where I'd just come from town or was out and about in shorts before the game, I would not take too kindly if I was refused entry to the stadium on these grounds. If you've I have paid for a valid match ticket is there a way you could avoid the lounge and only take your seat?

It makes me angry because there is simply no need for a dress code.

I guess the issue is that from reports on here anyway, they don't seem to be enforcing it. Will they really be bold enough to refuse entry to someone at 2:45pm on a Saturday because their attire is wrong?

It's the same as the kids/no kids thing at Dick's: Issue a clear message and then have the bollocks to apply it consistently to EVERYONE, even club 'friends'. No exceptions.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
surely something like this qualifies as smart casual?
003.jpg

It was the black version of this that we were told was unsuitable. So no sorry try again.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I guess the issue is that from reports on here anyway, they don't seem to be enforcing it. Will they really be bold enough to refuse entry to someone at 2:45pm on a Saturday because their attire is wrong?

It's the same as the kids/no kids thing at Dick's: Issue a clear message and then have the bollocks to apply it consistently to EVERYONE, even club 'friends'. No exceptions.

Nail on head.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is it wrong to find this whole 1901 'farce' quite funny. It seems a few think they have been fleeced, maybe they should watch the South Park episode about reading the small print...

Farce? Fleeced? Where's the farce? There seems to be an obsession on here with the dress code, if that's a farce then so be it. As someone who is clearly a sad old bloke who is football shirt obsessed, unbalanced and a racist according to some (I read my rep!), I have known since day one what the clubs expectations were, as have all the people who bought 1901 membership. Those who claim they weren't told this at the time are in a minority, but could not have missed the comments on here straight after the very first presentations were given and it's been brought up time and time again every time a 1901 orientated thread has appeared on here.

As for fleeced, no idea what you are talking about, the prices were pretty clear from day one too, OK so VAT went up after we had joined, but everyone in the country knew that was coming.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it wrong to find this whole 1901 'farce' quite funny. It seems a few think they have been fleeced, maybe they should watch the South Park episode about reading the small print...

No, it is funny. Grown men arguing the toss about the right to wear nylon garms.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Farce? Fleeced? Where's the farce? There seems to be an obsession on here with the dress code, if that's a farce then so be it. As someone who is clearly a sad old bloke who is football shirt obsessed, unbalanced and a racist according to some (I read my rep!), I have known since day one what the clubs expectations were, as have all the people who bought 1901 membership. Those who claim they weren't told this at the time are in a minority, but could not have missed the comments on here straight after the very first presentations were given and it's been brought up time and time again every time a 1901 orientated thread has appeared on here.

As for fleeced, no idea what you are talking about, the prices were pretty clear from day one too, OK so VAT went up after we had joined, but everyone in the country knew that was coming.

Fair enough, but do you think children should be sent up chimneys though?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
It was the black version of this that we were told was unsuitable. So no sorry try again.

So not even stuff flogged by the club itself will be permitted in the 1901!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do I findd this endearingly typical nonsense from BHAFC rather amusing given that at leat 17,000 people will be sweating in polyester replicas.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
But just to prove that you've been fleeced by the club, you can turn up in this

001.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
At least there is no dress code in the rest of the stadium. This lunch time in Dick's Bar there was a guy wearing a tottingham shirt, he also had an official Club identity badge. Which I think is very disrespectful.
If I was a 1901 member I would have challenged him about it, but he was about 6' 6'' tall with a shaven head and I was eating my lunch.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
At least there is no dress code in the rest of the stadium. This lunch time in Dick's Bar there was a guy wearing a tottingham shirt, he also had an official Club identity badge. Which I think is very disrespectful.
If I was a 1901 member I would have challenged him about it, but he was about 6' 6'' tall with a shaven head and I was eating my lunch.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that - lots of people work for one club during the week, yet support another. One of Wolves senior groundsmen is a West Brom fan!

DanielT

I went to a 1901 presentation and the business aspect of it stood out a mile, at least it did to me. Even in the Des Lynam video, he says you'll be "arriving in style and really impressing your guests"

The club were openly selling 1901 as a corporate option. Basically a business meeting with a bit of football thrown in, an ideal place to impress a current or potential client.

Here's a link to the video if anyone hasn't seen it. The line is at 1.44

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The reason that shirts are not allowed, I suspect, is because when selling to corporate, they will tend to buy 4 tickets and invite their guests for matches. These guests may come from anywhere in the country, so lets say I have a client in Donny, I would invite them down for the game this Saturday. If loads did this you would then have a big mixture of home and away shirts in the same room and it could get ugly. As a lot of 1901 members are not corporate, this is where they have come unstuck. Merry Prankster has it correct, they should have seperated corporate and non-corporate and allowed shirts in the non-corporate end.

Dear GOD, who could be arsed with all this dress code bullshit. How did we ever become so divorced from reality so quickly? It's like Withdean never happened. Thank Christ I'm in the North Stand.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not bothered to the point of complaining, but frankly it is completely ridiculous.

In theory the rules of the ground allow there to be 20,000 supporters wearing Palace shirts, but 2,400 fans can't wear a Brighton shirt.

Bonkers.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I went to a 1901 presentation and the business aspect of it stood out a mile, at least it did to me. Even in the Des Lynam video, he says you'll be "arriving in style and really impressing your guests"

The club were openly selling 1901 as a corporate option. Basically a business meeting with a bit of football thrown in, an ideal place to impress a current or potential client.

Here's a link to the video if anyone hasn't seen it. The line is at 1.44

The amount of seats available in the 1901 club and the relatively low price ensured it would never be exclusive or corporate.The club have made a mistake , in future seasons the 1901 area will be reduced.imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here