Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club and football shirts

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I think that this dress code in the 1901 is silly! Yes don't wear another clubs football shirt but we are all here to support the club - why should people in 1901 not be allowed to wear a brighton shirt!
Anyone would think that they are going to a top class restaurant and not a football match.
As for people saying people there will be people attending from business so that's why there is a dress code!! Any normal person would think I am at a football stadium I may see someone in a football shirt!!

Also this was never mentioned at the 1901 presentation that I attended last year

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think that this dress code in the 1901 is silly! Yes don't wear another clubs football shirt but we are all here to support the club - why should people in 1901 not be allowed to wear a brighton shirt!
Anyone would think that they are going to a top class restaurant and not a football match.
As for people saying people there will be people attending from business so that's why there is a dress code!! Any normal person would think I am at a football stadium I may see someone in a football shirt!!

Also this was never mentioned at the 1901 presentation that I attended last year

I'm quite happy that lots of business people have bought 1901 tickets, it provides the club with income and probably allows the club to sell normal season tickets to plebs like myself a bit cheaper. However the business people might not be happy if people lower the tone of the place by turning up looking like a sack of shit, so the club will be looking to enforce the rules to keep them happy.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
When the club realised how many fans were signing up to the 1901 (so many that they kept expanding and expanding the platinum section) they should have made the middle section for fans and the lower section for suits. That way everyone happy but in their greed they didn't pause for a moment to think of effects of so many non corporate members. Now they risk having nobody entirely happy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think the club expected so many non business supporters to sign up to the 1901 club.

I think that is the problem. There seems to be a few people bought 1901 membership without even considering buying into the concept. If you were insistent on wearing club colours then you should have bought a ticket elsewhere. What's more, why do you have to wear a replica shirt, surely there are other products that the club sells that meet the criteria of smart casual. It's like someone who doesn't like standing buying a ticket in the back row of the north stand, or someone who can't stand heights getting the back row of west upper.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does anyone really care that passionately that they are willing to risk getting into an argument, that they will inevitably lose, at the 1st league game at the Amex?

Time to grow up?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
When the club realised how many fans were signing up to the 1901 (so many that they kept expanding and expanding the platinum section) they should have made the middle section for fans and the lower section for suits. That way everyone happy but in their greed they didn't pause for a moment to think of effects of so many non corporate members. Now they risk having nobody entirely happy.

I wouldn't get swayed by all the moaning in here. In reality, everyone seemed pretty happy last week.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

You are in a minority on here then, when NSCers we posting back after thier presentations it was a regular theme of their comments, no replica shirts/dress code etc. Due to other commitments I was at a number of the presentations and each time it was mentioned, If you didn't hear them say it at the presentation then you will have read it on here, it certainly hasn't come as a suprise to anyone.

I think it is silly also, and the sooner they change it the better, but it certainly isn't worth getting wound up about, nor risking getting refused entry.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The reason that shirts are not allowed, I suspect, is because when selling to corporate, they will tend to buy 4 tickets and invite their guests for matches. These guests may come from anywhere in the country, so lets say I have a client in Donny, I would invite them down for the game this Saturday. If loads did this you would then have a big mixture of home and away shirts in the same room and it could get ugly. As a lot of 1901 members are not corporate, this is where they have come unstuck. Merry Prankster has it correct, they should have seperated corporate and non-corporate and allowed shirts in the non-corporate end.

A good example of this is when I was invited to Chelsea v Arsenal, there were four of us, 2 Brighton fans and 2 Arsenal fans. We all had our meals in the restaraunt (no shirts) and then went outside to our seats, next to the Chelsea fans. My mates were cheering on Arsenal and there was no issue, I suspect there may have been at some grounds though.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I know football has changed and call me old fashioned,but it is a football match,not a fashion parade or an audience with the Queen.
I wear shorts from about April thro' to October..........shouldn't be a problem imho.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You are in a minority on here then, when NSCers we posting back after thier presentations it was a regular theme of their comments, no replica shirts/dress code etc. Due to other commitments I was at a number of the presentations and each time it was mentioned, If you didn't hear them say it at the presentation then you will have read it on here, it certainly hasn't come as a suprise to anyone.

I think it is silly also, and the sooner they change it the better, but it certainly isn't worth getting wound up about, nor risking getting refused entry.

Why have you got neg rep? When people like you along with Ben's Grandad end up with neg rep I question how seriously anyone can take it :shrug:

You haven't anymore :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Spot on Icy - Phil and others add a lot of value here. may not always agree but I would fight their corner to have their say.

As for 1901. I heard the no football shirts rule and for that reason I opted out and didn't look any further into it. Yes it may change in time but I take great pleasure that my kids want to wear their shirts and want me to too (although i am over 40 and not the right shape for it).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Spot on Icy - Phil and others add a lot of value here. may not always agree but I would fight their corner to have their say.

What pompous nonsense. No-one's denying anyone the right to their say on here. You post something and others either agree or disagree and mark it accordingly if they want. It's universal and if it really bothers people what their reputation is then they need to get out a bit more.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Errea always used to make a nice polo with the club crest on. Do they still do this? Surely the best option for 1901'ers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here