Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Meals were better at the withdean.

TB

Agree with that 100%, shame Hardings didn't get a crack at the Amex.

I'm really glad someone brought this up. The 1901 Club seems to be going downhill fast.

Yesterday, just one table (that's 1) were dining in our lounge and you could see the uncomfortable glances being shared by the staff/waiters, etc. Another table sat down with about 25mins to k/o and threw their food down. But still, two tables is down from the average 7-8 tables from last season.

But that's not all; where were the chairs? We had a growing number of families and individuals sitting down on the floor! On the floor!!! This is supposed to be a treat for visitors. On the effing floor!!!!

Our lounge manager was back for the first time this season "I doubt I'll be back", he says. "I've had enough and can't stand our catering manager. He hasn't got a clue."

And then an Azure special - I pay for two pies at the bar and go to collect it at the kiosk; they overcharge me for both. Sure, it wasn't a vast amount but I said to the poor girl handing out the pies that I didn't want to complain as it's not a significant sum of money. It's just the principal. It's happened too often now. And if it continues over the season that will all start to add up.

I wonder if they have been instructed to "accidently" overcharge customers a small amount so they won't complain yet will add up for them amongst the 25,000 fans....makes you wonder....

You need to get this message in front of them, Azure probably don't even hear these sort of comments, email it to Elliot Moore, as it is, and copy Paul Barber in too. It has to stop.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Agree with that 100%, shame Hardings didn't get a crack at the Amex.

You need to get this message in front of them, Azure probably don't even hear these sort of comments, email it to Elliot Moore, as it is, and copy Paul Barber in too. It has to stop.

I got overcharged for my pie too in the Becks Peugot lounge. Again it wasn't vast but I noticed that the pies were listed at £3.80 at the kiosk but was rung up as £3.90 when I paid at the bar. I wasn't going to scramble back to the front of the bar queue just for 10p so I let it go but it does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth, (not the pie, that was fine).

I also noticed that the number of diners has dropped off in our lounge. Last season there must have been about 10 tables at every match but for Cardiff it was just 3 and yesterday about 5 or so. It gives the rest of us a bit more room although a few more chairs would be helpful. I have to take my pie back to my match seat if I want to sit down and enjoy it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Numbers dining in 1901 are down from the high 700s to the mid 200s. An absolutely enormous drop.

Wow. That is huge. It will be interesting to see what Azure do to try and get the numbers back up again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wow. That is huge. It will be interesting to see what Azure do to try and get the numbers back up again.

It may just be my cider-fozzled memory, but I have a vague recollection that 1901 dining facilities would be available to regular punters, match by match, should there be space due to lower demand from 1901ers. Maybe that wasn't the case and/or maybe the East Brasserie was what I'm thinking of. Can anyone recall?

Being slightly unfamiliar with 1901 layouts, I'm not sure of the practicalities of interlopers coming in to dine before exiting to head to their seats elsewhere.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
It may just be my cider-fozzled memory, but I have a vague recollection that 1901 dining facilities would be available to regular punters, match by match, should there be space due to lower demand from 1901ers. Maybe that wasn't the case and/or maybe the East Brasserie was what I'm thinking of. Can anyone recall?

Being slightly unfamiliar with 1901 layouts, I'm not sure of the practicalities of interlopers coming in to dine before exiting to head to their seats elsewhere.

Yes I think the layout is the problem Bozza. I know one of the disappointments for me was that I can't have a prematch drink in another section of the ground with my son who sits, (stands!), in the North. I thought that access to other areas would be allowed prematch but unless we queue for an hour outside Dicks beforehand we can't do it.

Mind you its also not possible, (well physically it is but its much frowned upon), to move within other lounges in the 1901 until apparently 15 minutes after the match. I remember that at the Doncaster game I was having a nose outside the other lounges prior to the game and thought I would pop into one of the others just to see how different it was. I got called out before even getting a foot over the doorway and pointed back to 'my area' politely but firmly.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Numbers dining in 1901 are down from the high 700s to the mid 200s. An absolutely enormous drop.

As i said last season there are too many 1901 seats for it to be corporate it will not work on that scale.The good news is that once 1901 is firmly losing money which it will if it is not already, the overated cafes will be ripped out and replaced with seats.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

That's what I thought the 1901 would be like - but with it oversold to capacity it gives the club a problem as there is very little room to change things round.

I can see three solutions they can try

1) reduce prices to reasonable levels and introduce some variety to snacks in the lounges. At the current prices and service the three course is not going recover and much as the pies are good I'd like to have something else now and then.

2) Increase the price but Make the quality, service miles better and include wine/ soft drinks. Again need more options on the snacks.

3) Offer fans that wouldn't mind moving to another part of the ground perhaps with a drinks lounge like at withdean.this gives them some options in 1901 to get fans from east, south and west to have special days there

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
As i said last season there are too many 1901 seats for it to be corporate it will not work on that scale.The good news is that once 1901 is firmly losing money which it will if it is not already, the overated cafes will be ripped out and replaced with seats.

You are kidding aren't you east is going to have another 1901 section isn't it? That would indicate the corporate model works and it's the catering that isn't?

The club needs more money not less

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some good news, there are now sofas in The Profile Lounge.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

They won't do anything as Paul Barber (quite rightly) has taken the marketing away from Azure. Jo, Ashleigh etc. now work for the club and not for Azure. It might be seen as (some) writing on the wall for Azure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They won't do anything as Paul Barber (quite rightly) has taken the marketing away from Azure. Jo, Ashleigh etc. now work for the club and not for Azure. It might be seen as (some) writing on the wall for Azure.

A good move and it allows Azure to concentrate on the food side of things.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Personally I don't mind paying if the product is good unfortunately it's not. Yesterday yet again coffee run out as usual at half time only vegie pies left half way through the break. Surely it cannot be too hard to have enough pies and coffee. Have never had a meal as that's not my idea of going to a football match but friends I know who have only did it once.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It also enables the club to ditch them without losing the relationships the commercial staff have built up (as they now work for the club).

Good point. I have a lot of time for Jo and Ashleigh and both have been incredibly helpful and professional with the Tubthumpers and [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION]

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looks like the club have completely got this wrong or have the wrong type of people in the 1901 club. Perhaps they were expecting corporate type people bought along as guests of companies as opposed to real fans.

Just out of interest you get a free program and tea / coffee and everything else you pay for ?

Also how much is a meal ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I wonder if they have been instructed to "accidently" overcharge customers a small amount so they won't complain yet will add up for them amongst the 25,000 fans....makes you wonder....

The trouble is, to believe that, you have to believe that Azure are capable of (a) conceiving, and (b) implementing some sort of business strategy. You have to believe that more than believing that they have simply f***ed up again.

If it was any other company, I'd willingly join the cynics - suggesting it is a covert 'over-charging' policy to make a few extra quid. But as it as Azure, I'm more inclined to put it down to them not having a f***ing clue what they are doing from one day to the next.

Get rid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks like the club have completely got this wrong or have the wrong type of people in the 1901 club. Perhaps they were expecting corporate type people bought along as guests of companies as opposed to real fans.

Just out of interest you get a free program and tea / coffee and everything else you pay for ?

Also how much is a meal ?

I personally think its more down to the quality and price as opposed to the type of fan. And it's now £41, up from £38. You do indeed get a free programme and half-time tea and coffee. Everything else you pay for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here